Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

One thing I completely forgot to mention after having watched the EE music documentary: was anyone surprised that PJ didn't remember what the Fellowship theme sounds like (you see that at teh very beginning of the documentary)? I mean, yeah sure, I realize he's probably no film music fan like the rest of us, he doesn't listen to the LOTR scores over and over again like us, but come on: this is one of the main themes from the LOTR trilogy, he probably heard it more than a thousand times during the recording sessions, cue after cue, take after take. How can he not remember what it sounds like? It'd be like Lucas not remembering what JW's main theme from Star Wars sound like! Goes to show how much he cares about Shore's music...

Hey George Lucas could not remember any of JWs themes when Seth McFarlane, himself a huge Williams fan, interviewed him. It was pathetic. PJ is no better!

Video or it didn't happen!

Starting at 2:46

Although in all fairness he admits it would be tough for him to recognize the music. The man is so ignorant of his own work and the work of his best buddy John Williams.

I wonder if its the same for composers though.

Horner hummed his Klingon theme instead of Khans theme in the DVD interview for TWOK.

John Williams does in interview for the Jaws 2 DVD where he talks about the approach he thinks he might have taken back in the day.

Horner hummed his Klingon theme instead of Khans theme in the DVD interview for TWOK.

John Williams does in interview for the Jaws 2 DVD where he talks about the approach he thinks he might have taken back in the day.

Nonsense, they remember obsessively every note they have written just like OCD fans!

I know you are joking, but no.

Im sure JW knows the stuff he regularly programs for concerts very well, but if you ask him to hum the theme from The Fury, or Boba Fetts theme...

Yeah they tend to move on to the next project very quickly also in their heads. I remember JW saying that he was impressed when young Spielberg came to their first meeting before Sugarland Express and knew all the themes he had written and also the smaller secondary ones from his recent movies that even he didn't remember. So yeah unless they have a specific reason to revisit their music I don't think they dwell on what they have previously written and can forget stuff from 20 or 30 years back easily. Fans live in a different world as they do actively listen to this stuff and there is really no time span between SW and Harry Potter for us in the sense it is for the composer who probably does not go about his day by listening to his own work all the time.

Nonsense, they remember obsessively every note they have written just like OCD fans!

Across the Stars is the first love theme in Star Wars!

Across the Stars is the first love theme in Star Wars!

Never forget, never forgive!

Video or it didn't happen!

Starting at 2:46

Although in all fairness he admits it would be tough for him to recognize the music. The man is so ignorant of his own work and the work of his best buddy John Williams.

That's just because McFarlane sucks at whistling/humming, and these were just minor motifs/one-time melodies! That's not Lucas' fault!

PJ couldn't remember what one of the main themes of his trilogy sounds like!

And the second music Farlane hums is DIALED OUT in the movie...

Malcolm Tucker like brilliance!

Man Capaldi would have delivered that brilliantly! I can picture the acerbic tone and those unrelenting eyes staring at you. :lol:

Here's a revised, final, and completely accurate Chronological ordering for DOS, utilizing the "Thrain" bonus track from the BOFA SE OST now.

NOTE 1: This is for the order as the film existed when the music was recorded; In the final cut(s), PJ moved a few scenes around from where they originally were.

NOTE 2: I created my own names here for a few parts (where the OST track had to be split into pieces, or the name Shore chose for the OST didn't accurately represent the music in the track)

1. 1-01 The Quest For Erebor (3:22)
  2. 1-02 Wilderland (4:56)
  3. 1-03 A Necromancer (2:54)
  4. 1-04 The House of Beorn (4:52)
  5. 1-05 Mirkwood (5:31)
  6. 1-06 Flies And Spiders (9:35)
  7. 1-07 The Woodland Realm (5:14)
  8. 1-08 Feast Of Starlight (2:48)
  9. 1-09 Barrels Out Of Bond (1:50)
  10. 1-10 The Forest River (5:10)
  11. 1-11 Bard, A Man Of Lake-Town (3:18)
  12. 1-12 The High Fells (3:38)
  13. 1-13 The Nature of Evil (3:20)
  14. 1-14 Protector Of The Common Folk (3:35)
  15. 2-01 "The World Of Men" (3:33)
  16. 2-02 "Girion / Part Of This World" (4:15)
  17. 2-03B [2:24-end] "Captured" (0:40)
  18. 2-03A [0:00-2:24] "All Will Share In The Wealth Of The Mountain" (2:24) - a clean ending for this is available on the Standard OST
  19. 2-04 In The Shadow Of The Mountain (2:15)
  20. 2-05A [0:00-1:26] "A Spell Of Concealment / The Hidden Door" (1:26)
  21. BOFA SE OST 2-12 [0:00-1:49] / 2-06 "Thrain / On The Doorstep" (9:50) - there is an overlap of material here, you only need to pick one performance of the buildup
  22. 2-07A [0:00-0:45] "The Courage Of Hobbits" (0:45)
  23. BOFA SE OST 2-12 [1:49-end] "The Palantir" (1:36)
  24. 2-07B [0:45-end] "Not At Home" (2:15)
  25. 2-05B [1:26-end] "Sauron" (1:55)
  26. 2-08 Inside Information (3:48)
  27. 2-12B [2:33-5:18] "Smaug The Stupendous" (2:45) - a clean ending for this is available on the Standard OST
  28. 2-11A [0:00-3:12] "The Black Arrow" (3:12)
  29. 2-10 "Darkness Is Coming" (3:41)
  30. 2-12D [6:05-end] "Bilbo Escapes" (0:25)
  31. 2-11B [3:12-5:48] "Lake-town Attack" (2:36)
  32. 2-09A [0:00-0:38] / 2-12A [0:00-2:33] / 2-09C [1:56-end] "Athelas / The Arkenstone" (3:40)
  33. 2-12C [5:18-6:05] / 2-09B [0:38-1:56] "Crossing The Bridge / She Walks In Starlight" (2:05)
  34. 2-11C [5:48-end] "Thorin's Plan / Legolas vs Bolg" (4:19)
  35. 2-13 "The Forges" (5:16)
  36. 2-14 I See Fire (5:00)
  37. 2-15 Beyond The Forest (5:25)

I was convinced PJ always intended the Dol Guldur subplot to end right before Bilbo enters into Smaug's chamber. Turns out that he didn't originally plan it that way.

Well, in both cuts of the film, it is that way :)

But yea, Thrain's line - that you can hear in the EE - "No one must enter that mountain!" was supposed to be immediately followed by.... Bilbo entering the mountain.

BTW, does the room Smaug "lives" in have a name? I hate calling that cue "Smaug's Chamber" but I've never been able to come up with a better name.

Same scene

EDIT: I was wrong. The Last Of the Seven scene is definitely NOT the same scene as the Palantir scene. Sorry about that.

I think the cut of the film Shore scored didn't have any of the Ring stuff in it.

EDIT: So, the ending of the Palantir cue was tracked into the end of the Last of the Seven scene, I suppose.

Does anyone know if this Palantir Scene will be in Battle of the Five Armies? maybe as some sort of flash back?

The Sauron Theme at the end of 'Thrain' nearly knocked me of my seat! Love that Mordor Minor 3rd descending motif followed by Evil of the Ring/Sauron.