Spielberg In Talks For Halo

Koray Savas

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes! At this point I'm just glad that Spielberg is (probably) committed to something. Over the course of the last 4 years he has made...1 film. This is especially bad news for us fans of a semi-retired JW, who in the past probably would have sought out some other projects to fill the Spielberg dry spell, but in the present isn't doing so (with the possible exception of DH). As for the film itself, I have enough faith in Spielberg to be excited for this. And Williams is such a chameleon I know we can expect a good score from this. As long as it doesn't interfere with Deathly Hallows.

That was before Halo was part of picture!

Perhaps it could be good. But at this point I'd rather he focuses on other projects. And because he's now committed to two for sure and considering Indy 5, my above comment doesn't apply as much.

This sounds more like one of those projects that Spielberg would just act as a producer for when the time comes, like Transformers.

I for one hope it isn't anything like Transformers.

If Spielberg directs it then it probably will. For one, we won't get the shaky camera.

Spielberg does not decide on that, Kaminsky does.

Alex

But Spielberg does have some input, I'm sure. The shaky cam is a pretty major decision, and if Spielberg doesn't like it he probably won't let Kaminsky use it.

But even if Spielberg has no input, my comment still stands, as Spielberg always works with Kaminsky (who never uses the shaky cam).

If Spielberg directs it then it probably will. For one, we won't get the shaky camera.

Alex

You mean to tell me you don't think Spielberg gets to decide how his DOP shoots the picture?

You mean to tell me you don't think Spielberg gets to decide how his DOP shoots the picture?

Indeed, Kaminsky does all that now. He decides on how he shoots a certain movie and Spielberg is okay with it because he has now more time to think about other things. He trusts Kaminsky's artistry completely!

This better be some sort of hoax.

It probably is. I don't trust the sources. And even it isn't, people just assume that Spielberg wants to direct every project he has the slightest interest in, when a vast amount of his income comes from producing.

But Spielberg does have some input, I'm sure. The shaky cam is a pretty major decision, and if Spielberg doesn't like it he probably won't let Kaminsky use it.

But even if Spielberg has no input, my comment still stands, as Spielberg always works with Kaminsky (who never uses the shaky cam).

Kaminski never uses the shaky cam?

Kaminski never uses the shaky cam?

From what I've seen, at least never to the extent of Transformers. He shot SPR, which is probably the only Spielberg film that could be justified in using a shaky cam, and but he still didn't use it (again, I'm talking about a Transformers shaky cam)

It's heavily used in Schindler's List, Amistad, Munich and War of the Worlds. It's also used in key scenes of The Lost World, A.I., The Terminal and Minority Report.

Maybe not to the extent of Transformers, no, but it wasn't used at all in Spielberg's films prior to his collaboration with Kaminski.

I would rather have Spielberg do it than a lot of other directors honestly, especially since directors known to do video game movie adaptations include the likes of Uwe Boll. Ideally James Cameron would be the one to direct it, he's perfect for it.

It's heavily used in Schindler's List, Amistad, Munich and War of the Worlds. It's also used in key scenes of The Lost World, A.I., The Terminal and Minority Report.

Maybe not to the extent of Transformers, no, but it wasn't used at all in Spielberg's films prior to his collaboration with Kaminski.

I never remember being put-off by the shaky cam in any of those films (haven't seen Amistad or Munich), so if Kaminsky wants to use it to the extent he has previously then that's fine with me.

anyway i think it's pretty clear that if its true, i will be spielberg production, not film.

Maybe he will offer the director's helm to jackson, if jackson wanted to direct it.

Here's a similar article over at ComingSoon. It doesn't say anything about him directing, only producing.

IESB has learned exclusively (believe me this is solid and I've confirmed it three times over with studio executives and our close ties to CAA) that one of the biggest producers in Hollywood history is currently in active negotiations to develop the feature film adaptation and no it's not Jerry Bruckheimer or Peter Jackson. It's the man behind Jaws, E.T., Indiana Jones and Transformers, Mr. Steven Spielberg.

Spielberg is blown away by writer Stuart Beattie's take on the game in his script entitled HALO THE FALL OF REACH. This coupled with the fact that his Dreamworks umbrella is looking for a big tent pole to help launch their newly independant studio with distribution over at Walt Disney Pictures after losing Transformers to Paramount in the separation, it's the perfect combination.

How many projects has Spielberg got (supposedly) lined up now?

He has always been like this. As I've said before, talk to me when he gets behind the camera and the film actually goes into production.

This source sounds fishy. The Halo movie is dead.

I'm thinking that the already missed the boat with this one. Halo has come and gone already.

I'm thinking that the already missed the boat with this one. Halo has come and gone already.

Most adaptations miss the boat. Transformers, for one.

I actually read that "Fall of Reach" novel ... like most tie-in novels, it was crap as prose, but the story was pretty good, and a great movie could definitely be fashioned out of it. Especially if Spielberg were directing. Note that I said "could."

It's being reported on all the credible news sites.

This little bit was included on the MovieWeb article:

Also, Spielberg is a huge gaming fan. His prodigal star Shia LaBeouf has been quoted talking about Spielberg being stuck on the 15th level of BioShock recently.

Wrong.

If in a million years it were to happen, then John Wiliams project-wise this would be a potential goldmine score for everyone here BUT his score may in actual fact turn out to be an adaptation - Marty O'Donnell's superb scores for the games are already well cemented in the Halo universe, his original themes at least must surely have a place in a movie adaptation, it would be a missed opportunity indeed if they were omitted. Indeed, I'd happily have Marty score the movie itself, buy yeah, a JW score adaptation would be my personal ideal. Either way, it would be an epic soundtrack.

The naysayers are rightly cynical about this, but I'd want to see this more than Tintin by a mile and probably just as much as The Hobbit, if it were done properly.

I'm not holding my breath though.

Steven Spielberg cannot beat Bioshock? Now there is a true sign of his declining clout: I bet the old Spielberg could beat it in three days.

My kid prefers Halo over Bioshock and Spielbergs knows it!

The naysayers are rightly cynical about this, but I'd want to see this more than Tintin by a mile and probably just as much as The Hobbit, if it were done properly.

Tell us why. Pump us up!

alex

Because it has the potential to be the biggest, baddest arsed sci-fi war movie ever mounted, that's why! Seriously though, it wouldn't be easy, but as Byrant said earlier, the main story outline is a good one and with a good sci-fi screenwriter it could be great.

Earth is in the thick of an ongoing intergalatic war with an alliance of alien races who are collectively known as The Covenant, notorious for their fanatical 'religious' beliefs and their unwavering desire to fulfill their fabled 'Great Journey', as is written in their ancient texts, they will stop at nothing to see their barmy mission through to the end. Earth is in their way. Sound familiar? In a last bid for survival against annhilation, the UNSC (United Nations Space Command) begin the SPARTAN Programme in an effort to produce elite soldiers through mechanical and biological augmentation. Tough, fast and cunning, these super soldiers display great strengh and advanced fighting ability in the field, slowly taking the fight back to The Covenant and culminating (as far as REACH is concerned) in a massive battle for survival.

In some ways, Halo is a superhero story set in space and I'd love to see it get made.

Oh wait, I think I read this book a few years ago in seventh grade...I remember liking the training of the SPARTANs, but that is it.

I haven't personally read it (I thought it looked like trash at the time), but I've played enough Halo to know the basics.

Either way, it would take a miracle for this to turn out as bad as the Star Wars prequels. It's criminal really that a potentially good sci-fi story struggles to be made when people who consider themselves fans of film gleefully threw money at that Lucas garbage.

People in special suits fighting monsters from space?! Sounds like a videogame! :)

Only the best damn monsters in space videogame ever made!

People in special suits fighting monsters from space?! Sounds like a videogame! :)

Only the best damn monsters in space videogame ever made!

But you know Michael Bay will give up both his legs if he can be the director of Halo. It's that kind of a project.

He'll be sniffing around it that much is certain, but hopefully it will bypass him, hopefully. Still, I'd rather have him doing it if meant someone like Paul W.S. Anderson was the only other option since I've never been on the anti-Bay bandwagon anyway.

If in a million years it were to happen, then John Wiliams project-wise this would be a potential goldmine score for everyone here BUT his score may in actual fact turn out to be an adaptation - Marty O'Donnell's superb scores for the games are already well cemented in the Halo universe, his original themes at least must surely have a place in a movie adaptation, it would be a missed opportunity indeed if they were omitted. Indeed, I'd happily have Marty score the movie itself, buy yeah, a JW score adaptation would be my personal ideal. Either way, it would be an epic soundtrack.

Williams? score adaptation of some videogame music? he wont lower himself in such manner.

If its a spielberg direction expect a full original JW score, and if its not then they should hire the composer of the videogames...

Either way, it would take a miracle for this to turn out as bad as the Star Wars prequels. It's criminal really that a potentially good sci-fi story struggles to be made when people who consider themselves fans of film gleefully threw money at that Lucas garbage.

the people do not pay for movies to be made, they pay when movies are already been made, so you must be talking about producers.

But then the prequels were produced by lucasfilm, so nobody but lucas and co were gleefully thowing money to make the prequels... its not like producers fight themselves to pay for those movies.

Yes that money came from previous movies, but then microsoft has too much income from its products too.

So dont blame the pedestrians... :)