What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Agreed on all accounts. Its my favourite Kamen score as well, and it was just what I was about to listen to :P

I'm sure you know Kingdom Of Heaven, which I think is his best work. Veronica Guerin would follow after. Very underrated score, that sort of fits in that Irish Celtic sound that Newman did for Road To Perdition. There's even a small melody lifted note-for-note from it. Could either be temp track syndrome or possibly some traditional Irish song that both composers utilized.

If you could post videos and time stamps I might be able to tell you if it is a traditional song or not if that interests you.

Turns out it's not exactly note-for-note from what I remember, but the similarity is probably due to temp track.

1 minute and 20 seconds into this cue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEDh7X3H9PQ

Then this from Road To Perdition:

Yeah, just sounds like a temp track job. Doesn't sound like any particular Irish tune to me.

Hannigan is pretty good in his own right, though.

His score for Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix video game was excellent. It put Nicholas Hooper's live-action one to shame.

But Soule's score for the first HP game was terrific as well. It was in Williams' style but it had its own personality. Did he use an orchestra for that one? I know Hannigan did for his HP game scores.

Soule did the first two HP games. Not sure about 3 or 4. I love his Skyrim score. It's great "study" music as it fits nicely in the background and isn't too distracting. It's very nice overall and I like the way he changes the main theme with every game to suit the province of Tamriel that the game is set in.

Ack! Study music! That most frustrating of concepts!

Not his best work, surely, but a lovely album nonetheless. The playing is very good. Here's a clip from the FSM Online article on the score:

The score was recorded over two weekends at Abbey Road, Studio One, Kamen’s favorite studio. Also on board was Kamen’s favorite orchestra—the London Metropolitan Orchestra, a prominent group of studio musicians who have recorded numerous film scores. “It was the gig that everyone wanted to do,” Eshkeri says. “The musicians in London, in particular, absolutely adored Michael. It was like the musicians’ wake for Michael.” As such, the orchestra was filled with ringers made up of the top musicians in the city. The trumpet section included Maurice Murphy, John Barclay and James Bond regular, Derek Watkins. First chair desks from the London Symphony Orchestra, London Philharmonic and Royal Philharmonic were scattered throughout the violin section. “Every single one of these players brought their best instruments,” says Eshkeri. “So you had a room full of tens of millions of pounds worth of Strad’s and Guarneri’s.” “You had to be careful where you stepped,” Brooks agrees. “You didn’t want to be the one that steps on a 17th century violin!”

Karol

Wow, that's amazing. It's great to know Kamen is so well-respected. I thought Back to Gaya was great!

I'll be listening to his work tonight too. B

Yes! That's so heartwarming, wow.

Hannigan is pretty good in his own right, though.

His score for Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix video game was excellent. It put Nicholas Hooper's live-action one to shame.

But Soule's score for the first HP game was terrific as well. It was in Williams' style but it had its own personality. Did he use an orchestra for that one? I know Hannigan did for his HP game scores.

Soule did the first two HP games. Not sure about 3 or 4. I love his Skyrim score. It's great "study" music as it fits nicely in the background and isn't too distracting. It's very nice overall and I like the way he changes the main theme with every game to suit the province of Tamriel that the game is set in.

Ack! Study music! That most frustrating of concepts!

Why? Some music is just good to play while studying. It's not like I can blast LotR or Star Wars and expect to get any work done. And it's not like all study music has to be droning or atmospheric to work. I don't think classifying something as study music "degrades" a work by any means.

One of my favourite pieces to study to is Rachmaninov's Isle of the Dead.

I kinda agree.

Music is not written to be studied. Its to be listened, and hopefully enjoyed.

Do you mean study as in studying the music Steef? Because I don't think that's the matter of discussion at the moment.

I don't disagree that it can help focus on other tasks. I just worry that some people see it only as that, and don't explore it any more.

Ah yes I agree, there is the danger of that.

I personally need music playing when I study. The rhythms, nuances and other features of the music kind of help my mind focus. Of course, that is not the purpose that music is meant to serve, but its another way music can play a role in our lives and I don't see why it should be looked down on. It's a medium that serves many functions.

Funny enough, my list of pieces that I like to study to is a bit eclectic and includes the Rite of Spring. :P

I don't disagree that it can help focus on other tasks. I just worry that some people see it only as that, and don't explore it any more.

You're right but everything that I class as "study music" I also enjoy as I would any other score. Some music can be used for both, some would result in me doing nothing.

I wish there was a complete release of JFK. Actually make that the whole Oliver Stone trilogy Williams did!

Your wish might come true this month, or at least there's a good chance LLL hasn't forgotten it's JFK year!

Could that be LLL's possible JW project that was delayed until next year? I certainly would not mind that at all! Either that or the nigh impossible Dracula please. :)

Is there even anything missing from the original album. Doesn't seem like it - I can remember documentary-style music edits only.

Karol

There are some passages missing, especially from the opening of the score after the prologue plus some different variations on the main theme and the family theme. It is really hard to tell with the rapid music edits Stone uses in his montages but I think it was the whole plan with most of the score, Williams composing impressions that the director could use for relevant scenes. But I am inclined to agree with Maurizio, who speculated that there were the initial recording sessions for the suites and then sessions for scene specific music later.

The spambots are breaking through! Hold the gates!

43224997.jpg

:music: The Bridge of Khazad-dûm

Is there even anything missing from the original album. Doesn't seem like it - I can remember documentary-style music edits only.

Karol

There are some passages missing, especially from the opening of the score after the prologue plus some different variations on the main theme and the family theme. It is really hard to tell with the rapid music edits Stone uses in his montages but I think it was the whole plan with most of the score, Williams composing impressions that the director could use for relevant scenes. But I am inclined to agree with Maurizio, who speculated that there were the initial recording sessions for the suites and then sessions for scene specific music later.

If there's anything out there, I'd like to hear it. One of my favourite JW works and quite atypical for him. Having said that, his first score to Oliver Stone's film from 1989 might be more expansion-worthy.

Karol

Gerhardt's Jedi. These versions are just awesome. Almost no one else can record Star Wars music aside from Williams and have it actually sound right. Not to say Gerhardt's are perfect, but they're pretty damn good.

Discovering Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1969, John Williams)

A 3-CD release is maybe too much for me, hoping that they will release the original Album on a single CD one day.

Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas

Edward Scissorhands

The Book Thief

Poltergeist II - The Other Side

Gremlins

And some portions of Clear and Present Danger.

Karol

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug by Howard Shore

There seems to be quite a substantial gap between this score and the previous one - in terms of texture, mood and feel. Whereas the previous film had more to do with an almost innocent and colourful fairy tale world, this one presents you with a serious, gloomy and dark sonic soundscape, very much in the vein of Howard Shore's own The Fly, Soul of the Ultimate Nation and, in terms of Middle Earth music, The Two Towers. What struck me immediately is that it's not quite as vocal driven as other entries. Don't get me wrong, there are some really nice vocal passages in key areas, but not quite as dominating as in The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Most of them are mixed low as well. It's really fun to hear Shore's monster music again, he does it so well. The Spiders sequence is really terrific. The company theme from the previous film is curiously absent from this album. Surprising, given how prominent was it in the first chapter - it wasn't destined to be the next Fellowship theme it seems. But all the other material is given a good workout - especially the Woodland Elves material and Smaug's theme. The latter appeared in An Unexpected Journey's prologue already, of course, but more as a (relatively) generic evil motif. Here it truly takes over the second half and gives its character a mythical but extremely dangerous (almost psychopathic) flair - the use of Eastern instruments did the trick. Indeed, this substantial expansion and development, especially in tracks like Inside Information, is among this score's highlights. Among the new material the most striking thematic idea for Tauriel, surprisingly, which gets a very warm oboe renditions and also appears in some action music (in stellar The Forest River). I also like the Medieval-like Lake Town music - reminds me of Conan, of all things. But the best thing is the new theme (for Bilbo?) that appears here and there, especially in Beyond the Forest, and is as classic as anything Shore has ever written and seems to be closely related to Bilbo's song from The Return of the King. All in all, Desolation might not convince Shore's sceptics and the majority of it might be a little too introverted for casual listener, but proves that Howard Shore is good and well and can deliver the goods, if given the chance (something that happened only partially last year). Repeat listens will be necessary to get the most out of it, but overall the impression is very strong and the 2-hour album ends in no time. It's a rewarding listening experience with a very strong narrative/thematic arc, which wasn't necessarily obvious from, very moody, samples. And, even though, the story doesn't reach a clear conclusion (in the vein of the previous films) we're given a lovely suite at the end, which reprises all the thematic material in the most impressive fashion. Recommended!

A Christmas Carol by Alan Silvestri

It's cool to finally have this score on CD. The only thing wrong with it is that the music offers no surprise - it's a stereotypical and predictable Christmas music as it gets. But then again, it was never to be anything else and this particular story requires just that. It's a great score with a kick ass main theme and quite a lot of variety over the course of a, quite brief and well-balanced, album.

Karol - who likes both The Hobbit scores but it's difficult to compare the two (they're really different)

X2: X-Men United - John Ottman

Once you get over Ottman using Mancini's "Lifeforce" theme as a template for the main theme, the original CD release is well-structured and a good listening experience. "Suite from X2" captures most of the highlights, and not a lot of missing music I wanted left out.

Should be interesting to hear how Ottman revisits the themes for next year's Days of Future Past.

All-Is-Lost-1500x1500.jpg

Alexander Ebert: ALL IS LOST

I never much liked Robert Redford and seeing him in the customary Hemingway-role as convict drifting alone on the sea doesn't exactly sees me running towards a cinema - but the score is really fine and inventive, two words you sadly couldn't apply to a lot of scores in 2013 (i'm looking at you, GRAVITY!).

Ebert is Frontliner of the band "Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros" - and seems to be a fan of Morricone and the wilful french composer Francois de Roubaix, whose odd instrument pairings and inventive ideas loom large over Ebert's score. A breezy assembly of instruments (strummed guitar, low male chorus, whistler, flutes, tibetan gongs etc.) evokes different sea moods and the perpetual horizon of the ocean, occ. interrupted by catchy melodies, sometimes whistled, sometimes guitar ditties. All things considered, the 45 minutes found me returning three times which never happened to me with IRON MAN 3 or HUNGER GAMES 2.

It's not on youtube but Spotify. The solemn main theme: https://soundcloud.c...rdnussberg/lost