What is your favorite 80's John Williams score?

JoeinAR

What is your favorite 80's score by JW?  

51 members have voted

1. 1.

• The Empire Strikes Back
    • Raiders of the Lost Ark
    • Heartbeeps
    • Yes Georgio
    • E.T.
    • Monsignor
    • ROTJ
    • TOD
    • the River
    • Spacecamp
    • Witches of Eastwick
    • Empire of the Sun
    • Accidental Tourist
    • Last Crusade
    • BOTFJ
    • Stanley and Iris

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of worthy winners but I'd have to go with Empire Strikes Back. Its an amazingly rich score, IMO. Intimate at times yet also epic in its scale and in its fantasy. His score is often fast paced with action rooted in characters, themes, and unique musical hooks for individual scenes, never to be used again. I like its darker edge with the undercurrent of melancholy. Even the themes for the protagonists like Yoda and Han and Leia are constructed with the sadder arc of the film in mind. Vader's theme is prominent and quintessentially evil in an appropriately militaristic kind of way. Lots of interesting musical ideas, rooted in the movie as always. It was my first JW album and remains my favorite, probably for any decade. Its a showcase for great music but, also, JW's incredible grasp of detail and nuance.

On a minor note, I hope there aren't a lot of Always fans trying in vain to vote for their favorite score. ( ; And, technically, Yes Giorgio was scored by someone else, though JW contributed a song.

- Adam

I know this is a consequence of your other thread, but as i don't want to argue anymore... i will say....

of course

Empire of the Sun. It's simply the most amazing score ever written: energetic, but also subtle when the film needs it. The whole score is subordinated to Jim's emotions.

Next would be Last Crusade, 3rd Always and 4th Born on the Fourth of July

Where is Always??? :) Oh, I see Stanley & Iris instead of it.

Good poll, btw ;)

I'd have to say E.T. -- IMO the most beautiful and effective score ever written (tied with Schindler's List)... But regarding this poll alone, Empire and Jedi come in at a close, shared second place, Born on the Fourth of July a distant 3rd, and Last Crusade getting an honorable mention.

--Pelzter.

That was more difficult than I thought. Empire of the Sun or E.T.? How do you choose? Heck, Empire of the Sun it will be.

Aaah, weren't those 80s good for filmmusic?

----------------

Alex Cremers

E.T. easily, followed so close by Raiders, Empire, Temple and Jedi for me. Five of the best scores that have ever been married to films. Truly Mr. William's golden days.

And yeah, shouldn't Always have been in the poll over Yes, Georgio, Joe? Or do you have a vendetta against Always (ala Hook and A.I.?) :) You have to admit even if one weren't a fan of Always score, it does have a couple of really great tracks on it.

E. T. the Extra Terrestrial. By turns thrilling, frightening, joyous, and heart wrenching, this is the finest score Mr. Williams has crafted.

Ray Barnsbury

For me, its definantly TOD in first place. Williams took what he did on Raiders and somehow made it better. Its just too bad we don't have a complete release of this fantastic score available yet. Empire Strikes Back is a verrrrrrrry close second for me with Raiders coming at a not too distant third. Great poll Joe.

I thought I had put Always, if Neil is able I will have him add it.

Yes, this is a very difficult choice. I have always held Raiders of the Lost Ark as my favorite score of all-time, but there are so many other scores that I cherish, dare I say equally, including the two Star Wars scores, E.T., and especially Temple of Doom, which I think is one of the great adventure scores of all-time. In the end, I voted for Raiders, but all of those scores are ever-so close behind it.

Ted

• 2 weeks later...

The mid-70's thru the mid-80's produced my favorite works of his. However, that doesn't mean it's the only period of his that I love. I have favorites in every one of his eras, but the 77-83 era (oddly enough, the Original Star Wars Trilogy and everything inbetween) is my personal favorite streak.

This is easy, TESB. Although, The 3 indy scores are close and ET is great. And of course ROTJ.

My favourite era = 80-84.

This seems kind of like a pointless poll. You don't need to ask people anymore to know which is gonna win. :nono:

Justin -Who voted for Raiders but knows Empire is close on it's heels.

Lots of great and popular scores. ROTJ takes my vote (Dark Side Beckons: wow), but ESB, EOTS, all the Indys and E.T are all among the greatest 50 scores ever written.

ROTJ takes my vote (Dark Side Beckons: wow)

yeah it's arguably the best of all SW cues from any movie.ROTJ a lot of "highlight" cues and cool little bits,but also has it's fair share of uninteresting cues compared to some of the other SW scores(A lot of the Jabba's Palace music,and that long Land of the Ewoks suite).

K.M.

The forest battle cues are somewhat disorganised musically,especially the first one.That's fine for the film,but not as great as the ESB action cues for the c.d.

K.M.

This is easy, TESB. Although, The 3 indy scores are close and ET is great. And of course ROTJ.

My favourite era = 80-84.

Mine is 87-93 although I think ESB is best of 80's.