The Adventures of Tintin MOVIE Anticipation thread (News, Interviews, Images, Posters, etc)

TownerFan

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But Marc, a live-action Tintin would be... very difficult to take seriously.

That is true. But the look for the film would be everything. If a live-action film were made, I really think they shouldn't try to translate the characters directly from page to screen, look-wise. They've tried that before and it didn't work. But the whole thing sounds a bit pointless to me anyway. There is an excellent animated television series of the books (which has a great theme), and the books themselves are already incredibly stylish and cinematic. There really is very little to add.

- Marc, who may be a bit biased, finding Tintin to be the world's greatest comic book series ever. ;)

I usually agree with you on stuff, but not as strongly as on Tintin. I mean, live-action does seem pointless. At least with CGI they can capture the cinematic quality that so present in every panel.

But I'm not too hot on this whole CG animation business. The market has become saturated with these kind of things. And I'm just not sure about this whole mocap thing for an entire film.

And in CGI too? That's a bit disappointing. I'd love to see The Seven Crystal Balls and Prisoners of the Sun as a live-action period piece. Of course there already were a few live-action Tintin films, and I'm fairly sure neither of them were particularly succesful.

Yeah I saw both of them (not the animated movies), Les Oranges Bleues and La Toison D'Or. They are too caricatural and silly. I would prefer too a live-action, gritty period movie like Spielberg can do (Munich, Minority Report, SPR), not light-warmed at all. It would add alot to the story, especially the last comics that Hergé did. They were gritty (even with the typical silliness of comic book action).

And I really agree with you, those two books are made for a Peter Jackson live-action movie...

Doesn't have to be Jackson. But of all the books they feel most like suspense/adventure films. Last time I read Prisoners of the Sun I almost felt like I was reading an Indiana Jones story, even though it predates Raiders of the Lost Ark by 31 years.

So, which 3 books would you guys like to see adapted to the big screen? I suppose the most obvious choices are the 2 part books, since the others may be too short for a full length approach.

The only thing that I really know about Tintin is that he's a dog from Belguim. Is it really better than Calvin & Hobbes?

The only thing that I really know about Tintin is that he's a dog from Belguim. Is it really better than Calvin & Hobbes?
That's not funny at all.

Right! It's BelgIUm! Idiot!

The original comic book series is so magnificent and perfect that they never should have done

any cartoon or movie about Tintin.

Just , leave it alone , please.You Pirates! You Doryphores! you Gobbledygooks! You Filibusters! You Slubberdegullions!!!

You Kleptomaniacs! You Odd-toed ungulates!!!

The only thing that I really know about Tintin is that he's a dog from Belguim.

That's not funny.

That's not funny at all.

I never said it was.

I love Tin-Tin, Spielberg and Jackson. But this makes me nervous. Spielberg has a tendency to "cute-i-fy" things too much. And I would really prefer a live action Tin-Tin. Wouldn't be able to be taken seriously? Of course it would, no problem. It could be GREAT as a live action film series. So unless Spielberg and Jackson come up with something really extraordinary and fresh, visually, I think it will flunk. Also, I am worried that Spielberg will use David Koepp to cook three albums into one composite film.

I am not a Tin-Tin expert, but if I had to choose, from the top of my head, I would like to see the "Moon trip" albums made into a film, and the one taking place in old Inca territory, where he almost gets burned on the fire as a sacrifice to the sun... third one? Hmmm... tough. I don't know the English titles of the books, but those are the two that immediately spring to mind is "film material".

The Destination: Moon two-parter is a great sci-fi adventure, but the whole bit where they're the first people to walk on the moon might be a little dated (although those scenes still pack a punch in the book today).

Kwistenbiebel, Rolstoelterrorist, Aapmens, Ellendige Karpaten-Papoea, Vastenavondzeeschuimer, Patagonische zoeloe, Overgehaald Basji-Bozoek, Mislukte handelaar in tweedehands vogelmest, Prehistorische Zapoteek, Pleister op een houten been!!!

haddock1.jpg

- Marc, who may be a bit biased, finding Tintin to be the world's greatest comic book series ever. :)

Hm, I find the Tintin books entertaining and fun, but overall I'm much more biased towards Spirou&Fantasio... also like the drawing styles better (especially Tome&Janry).

P.S.: "Hunderttausend Höllenhunde! §$%"$%!!!"

The Tome & Janry albums are great, but they're not as classy as Tintin, which I have put on something of a pedestal.

The last Tome & Janry album was a bit odd, though, and really felt out of place in the series. I love the book, but it feels wrong for a Spirou story.

- Marc, who only has the last 7 Tome & Janry Spirou albums, and now feels like re-reading them. :)

I've read practically all Spirou albums (apart from perhaps 1 or two, dunno), but own only 5 or so... our school library had an incredible stock of (european) comic books ;) so I was well supplied over those years with everything from Tintin over Spirou, the Smurfs, the Blue Boys, Gaston, etc.etc. After the longer hiatus some years ago, I started to regularly collect the new albums by Morvan&Munuera, in which I see some real promise to continue the great adventure stories of Tome&Janry, although I found the drawing style in the first one a bit odd... but that style has greatly improved over the course of the three new albums published now. I plan on getting the older albums over time, eventually, starting with the Tome&Janry albums and working my way back from there. For me the suspense and adventurousness of the Tome&Janry albums is unsurpassed ;)

And I must say I really enjoyed "Hunt for Spirou" (or however the last T&J book is called in the original), and would have loved to read more adventures like that. Sure it's a bit of a departure, but it followed the path T&J went from the typical "funny" comics to more gritty, serious thrillers. Well, "The man who didn't want to die" now is a good continuation of that story style, so I'm staying optimistic :)

Hm, long off-topic rant *g* I'll be looking forward to what Spielberg and Jackson will do with Tintin; as I'm not a die-hard fan of the series there's not much for me to lose ;)

-Chris

I'm not that well-versed in Spirou. I know there were many stories before the first album was published (the first one is a Franquin book I believe, even though he was already the second or third artist to work on the character). I haven't read any of the stuff that came after the last Tome & Janry book either. I'm mostly familiar with the second half of their albums, which are awesome.

They also never should have done any movies about Asterix, an other comic book perfection , BEIM TEUTATES!!!

You Blue Blistering Bell-Bottomed Balderdashes! You Purple profiteering jellyfishes!!!!

Why does nobody ever talk about Astérix?

It's by far the most popular comic in my country.

It is absolutely hilarious.

Why does nobody ever talk about Astérix?

'Cause the movies had a different style from the comics and that broke the hearts of the fans.

'Cause the movies had a different style from the comics and that broke the hearts of the fans.

I was referring to discussions about comic books.

Marian - who once watched the first 10 minutes of one of the live action Astérix movies and then had to turn of the TV in disgust.

Both Astérix movies suffer from a severe case of ADD.

The animated films were rather enjoyable, though.

And Goscinny was a brilliant writer. He did his best work on Astérix.

• 2 weeks later...
I can't believe no-one has mentioned the really astonishing thing yet.

If this is true, then Spielberg will be using another effects company then ILM, for the first time in decades....

Manuel will be so pissed!

:fouetaa: I am.

I cant believe it at the moment...

As long as Shore doesnt substitute Williams....

The animated Asterix are really good. The early ones (the recent ones since a decade are so-so) are exactly what Uderzo and Goscinny wanted. The voices are perfect...well in french. The animation in it's simplified form match well the panels.

The live-action movies are "okay". They are ADD-based entertainment. Fun, witty, cute. Nothing more, except that both have the two most beautiful woman on earth :fouetaa: (Belluci and Laetitia Casta).

A live-action Tintin would be much more dark and realistic. Even gritty. About half the Tintin books are gritty. The color palette is not flashy at all.

If this is true, then Spielberg will be using another effects company then ILM, for the first time in decades....

Well Williams will be close to 80 by the time this thing gets going...... :(

Well Williams will be close to 80 by the time this thing gets going...... :(

Thanks for the reminder, i suppose...

He is wrong. To be honest, there isn't much reason why one shouldn't be excited about this.

I don't think WETA is perfect, far from it, but I with the exception of the PoTC movies, ILM has rarely impressed me recently. A lot of their recent work just strikes me as flat and lifeless.

He doesn't believe WETA is capable of meeting ILM's high standard of visual effects works.

Someone needs to rewatch LotR.

Though personally I think my favorite effects house currently is a little group called Zoic. I've finally gotten around to Season 2 of Battlestar Galactica on DVD and their work is just amazing, the most "realistic" CG spaceships I've ever seen. They did Firefly/Serenity as well.

Serenity hardly looked realistic...but the effects felt alive. A bit gimmicky (the hand-held f/x shots), but they had an energy to them.

Morlock- who noticed, upon watching FoTR again, that a lot of effects in there are far from perfect (although they are when they really need to count)

WETA did an amazing job with The Lord of the Rings. Not to hate on ILM, but you can't even compare LOTR to the prequels.

Didn't WETA do the Narnia effects too? I always thought the CGI in that film was lacking compared to many others.

Ray Barnsbury