The Big Bad Top Gear Thread

robthehand

The latest on this is that 'allegedly' the BBC Director General has been receiving death threats.

And you know what? It wouldn't surprise me if that was true, because for some people Top Gear is the new sacred temple.

It appears that perhaps some form of 'fatwa' has been announced against those who mean to insult the honour of the prophet, Clarkson.

David Cameron's daughter threatened to go on a hunger strike if Clarkson was ditched. I very much doubt it is under way :P

How dare you!

While I love Top Gear. If its indeed true that Jezza assaulted a co-worker, then the BBC had little other choice and by not just extending his contract rather then actually firing him they are actually being rather mild.

The latest on this is that 'allegedly' the BBC Director General has been receiving death threats.

And you know what? It wouldn't surprise me if that was true, because for some people Top Gear is the new sacred temple.

It appears that perhaps some form of 'fatwa' has been announced against those who mean to insult the honour of the prophet, Clarkson.

David Cameron's daughter threatened to go on a hunger strike if Clarkson was ditched. I very much doubt it is under way :P

Typical! This doesn't happen on the mainland. We don't live in the Dark Ages no more. We're civilized!

While I love Top Gear. If its indeed true that Jezza assaulted a co-worker, then...........

Mmm, now "Jezza" is an 'insiders' word for Clarkson, rather like calling the Kwisatz Haderach - Muad'Dib.

Aye.

Oh Jezza. You stupid twat.

reading today that Clarkson will join the remaining live shows but they'll be stripped of the BBC branding.

Also May and Hammond are now free agents as the contract's expired.

You know, of all the ways I saw Top Gear ending this wasn't it -however much it's right Clarkson was sacked for thumping someone.

Jeremy Clarkson speaks to the journalist Daisy Pofallor about his decision to join the Guardian's drive for fossil fuel divestment.

There comes a time when a mans got to ask himself what he really stands for. And for me, thats sustainable energy, traffic calming and an end to xenophobia and prejudice.

Am wondering now if the live arena shows (coming to NI for the first time in May, and I have a ticket) will still happen with May, Hammond and the Stig or if they'll be cancelled.

They're still happening, but without any BBC branding! (not April fools)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Lots of predictable 'It'll never be the same' whining on social media following this latest presenter announcement. I guess they're right ... in Evans and LeBlanc, we have 2 presenters who I'd say are highly unlikely to punch a prominent member of the production team like a petulant child when they don't get their own way. 

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Lots of predictable 'It'll never be the same' whining on social media following this latest presenter announcement. I guess they're right ... in Evans and LeBlanc, we have 2 presenters who I'd say are highly unlikely to punch a prominent member of the production team like a petulant child when they don't get their own way. 

Don't know though, I reckon after a few LeBlanc could knock out a producer. Or any quips about Lost in Space.

So long as there's no trips planned to South America, new Top Gear might do okay.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

I never understood the phenomenon of Clarkson anyway. Thought he was just a silly twat, to be honest.

Or is that the appeal?

Karol

I've met him in the real world a couple of times. He is incredibly smart, particularly when it comes to engineering, thoughtful and rather genial. 

• 2 months later...

So with a new trailer for the revamp, the Internet has exploded in protest:

http://www.theweek.co.uk/top-gear/65189/top-gear-chris-evans-and-matt-leblanc-deny-being-at-war

I just don't get it - everyone seems to want the reboot to fail, especially after the cenotaph 'incident', which was the biggest load of politically-correct twaddle I've seen in a while.

I love the original show, and I want both to succeed, and there's no question in my mind that the BBC did exactly the right thing.

With Clarkson, Hammond and May it was often irreverently hilarious. But then Clarkson went and shat on his own doorstep and now they're on subscription-only television, and I frankly can't be bothered.

Roll on the new Top Gear still on Beeb 2 where it belongs. Oh yes.  

• 1 month later...

Oh god, what have they done...

Evans was pretty awful, especially in the challenge sections. His presenting style was far too Clarksonish, it was almost like a bad parody, with added shouting. Lots of shouting. LeBlanc was decent, even verging on quite good in the challenges. The audience seemed really subdued, and their reactions never really felt too real, but I guess that's to be expected early on?

However, the visuals and editing are still top-notch, though I thought the audio had taken a bit of a hit, seemed a bit off in places.

So yeah, I'd maybe give it 4/10, definitely not a fan of Evans, but maybe the show will be able to find its feet soonish, I hope.

Like the family home with other people in it. Surprisingly didn't mind LeBlanc but kept getting up and walking away so missed Sabine. One of the newspaper sites showed social media stuff and consensus is against new Top Gear.

Shows what I know though, when I first saw that bloke that LeBlanc had at the end to help him, I thought it was Mickey Rourke.

• 4 months later...