The 2nd OFFICIAL Indy IV Thread

the music I heard before in the Youtube version is MV

Haven't you heard that Geoff Zanelli and Steve Jablonsky have composed additional music for the score. John alone is too old now to write the whole thing alone, so he decided to resort to some fledgeling, but already popular composers of young generation.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the music I heard before in the Youtube version is MV

Haven't you heard that Geoff Zanelli and Steve Jablonsky have composed additional music for the score. John alone is too old now to write the whole thing alone, so he decided to resort to some fledgeling, but already popular composers of young generation.

hmm yeah and MV isn't playing a copycat.

Well new trailer is just awesome :P

The new trailer is very impressive. The CG-looking shots from the teaser (e.g. car chase along the cliff) have been cleaned up incredibly well, which is extremely encouraging.

Ted

Spielberg talks Indy with The New York Times.

“John Williams and I have a word we use when we have something we think the audience will love,” Mr. Spielberg said, referring to the composer who has scored all the Indiana Jones movies. “Maybe it’ll be a little over the top, and we ask each other, ‘Are we being too shameless?’ In a way I think we’ve both grown kind of proud of being shameless.”

The new trailer is very impressive. The CG-looking shots from the teaser (e.g. car chase along the cliff) have been cleaned up incredibly well, which is extremely encouraging.

Ted

How do you feel about the use of the Raiders March in this one? Are you still uncomfortable with it?

I admit I found it very strange that you took major issue with it's use in the teaser.

Spielberg talks Indy with The New York Times.

“John Williams and I have a word we use when we have something we think the audience will love,” Mr. Spielberg said, referring to the composer who has scored all the Indiana Jones movies. “Maybe it’ll be a little over the top, and we ask each other, ‘Are we being too shameless?’ In a way I think we’ve both grown kind of proud of being shameless.”

hehee.. sounds nice! :lol:

and by the way.. New York Times has the most acurate John Williams Filmography I've ever seen... have a look:

http://movies.nytimes.com/person/116874/Jo...?inline=nyt-per

Ted

How do you feel about the use of the Raiders March in this one? Are you still uncomfortable with it?

I admit I found it very strange that you took major issue with it's use in the teaser.

I didn't have a problem with the Raiders March in the teaser. I had a problem with the teaser itself, and what it was going for. I found it sloppy, and I didn't think the March went well with the swiftly cut shots, especially after the intro. The Raiders March works fine here because at least there's some amount of consistency in this trailer.

Ted

I have to say I love that new trailer as well. I'm getting so excited for this I might do something I normally loathe to do no matter how much I want to see a movie: brave opening night crowds.

Yeah, the way the scenes were cut the Raiders march didn't work. It did in the teaser IMO but just not in this full trailer. Its a good trailer and has me pumped, as I love me some Dr. Jones.

I really liked the new trailer, it gave a better sense of what this movie will be all about.

Ted

You know, I think I'd like the CG looking shots to remain as they were. The Indy films always had some sequences with (intentionally?) dodgy special effects.

Btw, in the new trailer at 1:19,

look carefully at the fat dude with the russians chasing an escaping Indy on that jet thingy. Is that a betrayal by Mac? *wide eyes*

I don't think the original three films ever had 'intentionally' dodgy VFX. They were just a product of their day.

In that case, how could they have forgotten to at least fit some fans to provide some wind effect in the airplane chase in the Last Crusade?

Btw, in the new trailer at 1:19, look carefully at the fat dude with the russians chasing an escaping Indy on that jet thingy. Is that a betrayal by Mac? *wide eyes*

1. I highly doubt it

2. Please, keep anymore speculation about spoilerish things in spoiler bars, I really don't want this film to be ruined.

Ted

Hmmm, has that scene been cleaned up since the last trailer (those cliff shots are so short!)? I didn't notice it at first, but now that you mention it . . . I compared the two, and the new one DOES look better!

:P

This is undoubtedly the best-looking Indiana Jones movie ever!

Hey, watch David Letterman making fun of Indiana Jones! Now this movie's ruined for me! :rolleyes:

Btw, in the new trailer at 1:19, look carefully at the fat dude with the russians chasing an escaping Indy on that jet thingy. Is that a betrayal by Mac? *wide eyes*

1. I highly doubt it

2. Please, keep anymore speculation about spoilerish things in spoiler bars, I really don't want this film to be ruined.

Come on the actor ha said several times that the character is two sided.

1. I highly doubt it

ok ok my bad...its just that I thought since its in a widely viewed trailer, its not exactly spoiler-ish.

Ted

Hmmm, has that scene been cleaned up since the last trailer (those cliff shots are so short!)? I didn't notice it at first, but now that you mention it . . . I compared the two, and the new one DOES look better!

:fouetaa:

This is undoubtedly the best-looking Indiana Jones movie ever!

thats a bit premature don't you think, it may be better looking than Least Crusade, but it will have to be exceptional to beat TOD or Raiders,

come back to the real world Josh.

Oh you know kids today Joe, they always accuse us old farts of thinking everything in the past is better yet they do the same thing with everything that is new. It has to be better even if it ain't.

So I was checkin' out the action figures today . . .

I'm not sure if anyone knew (I didn't) but apparently that guy who jumps down on Indy (before Indy smacks him with the shovel) in the trailer was just one of those "tribesman" wearing a skull mask. I was kinda hoping it would be some kind of skeleton warrior or something. Anyway, the back of the package gives a better look at him, and mentions that Indy and Mutt have to face three of them for some reason that escapes me right now.

I probably should've avoided reading the back of the action figures. Not a major spoiler, but I'd like to go into this flick as fresh as possible.

That's a spectacular trailer.

But who's the guy who does the bad-taste jokes on the trailer music again? Making the Raiders March synchronical with those alarm bleeps, really disgusting.

Btw I don't like Ford's voice. What did he do to his voice that it sounds so old?

Ford is a terrible voiceover narrator. We all discovered that with Blade Runner. He actually sounds like Deckard doing a voiceover. I know it's not confirmed that his lines were voiceover, but I have a hunch.

Ted

No way, the Ford dialogue at the start of the trailer will be from a scene along the lines of the meeting with the CIA at the beginning of Raiders. There are no voiceovers in the Raiders movies.

Ford is a terrible voiceover narrator. We all discovered that with Blade Runner. He actually sounds like Deckard doing a voiceover. I know it's not confirmed that his lines were voiceover, but I have a hunch.

Ted

The reason Ford sounded less than enthusiastic during BLADE RUNNER's direction is because it was a mandate from the Producers against Ridley Scott to make Ford do it, and Ford hated it, resulting in his tone. I think it works well for his character though.

I like the voiceover in the trailer. He sounds knackered, and a bit pissed off. No way it's V/O in the film though.

But who's the guy who does the bad-taste jokes on the trailer music again? Making the Raiders March synchronical with those alarm bleeps, really disgusting.

Btw I don't like Ford's voice. What did he do to his voice that it sounds so old?

Umm, HE GOT OLD!!!

Umm, HE GOT OLD!!!

True, but normally voices don't change that much over time until people get really old.

Imagine Lucas and Ford doing a commentary track for the KOCS DVD?

2 hours of 2 of the monotomous voices in film industry. :lol:

Ugh...yes I hate it when Lucas opens his mouth.

So IndianaJones.com has posted a pretty significant story synopsis... I regret reading it. Spoilers:

The newest Indiana Jones adventure begins in the desert Southwest in 1957 - the height of the Cold War. Indy and his sidekick Mac (Ray Winstone) have barely escaped a close scrape with nefarious Soviet agent on a remote airfield.

Now, Professor Jones has returned home to Marshall College - only to find things have gone from bad to worse. His close friend and dean of the college (Jim Broadbent) explains that Indy's recent activities have made him the object of suspicion, and that the government has put pressure on the university to fire him. On his way out of town, Indiana meets rebellious young Mutt (Shia LaBeouf), who carries both a grudge and a proposition for the adventurous archaeologist: If he'll help Mutt on a mission with deeply personal stakes, Indy could very well make one of the most spectacular archaeological finds in history - the Crystal Skull of Akator, a legendary object of fascination, superstition and fear.

But as Indy and Mutt set out for the most remote corners of Peru - a land of ancient tombs, forgotten explorers and a rumored city of gold - they quickly realize they are not alone in their search. The Soviet agents are also hot on the trail of the Crystal Skull. Chief among them is icy cold, devastatingly beautiful Irina Spalko (Cate Blanchett), whose elite military unit is scouring the globe for the eerie Crystal Skull, which they believe can help the Soviets dominate the world... if they can unlock its secrets.

Indy and Mutt must find a way to evade the ruthless Soviets, follow an impenetrable trail of mystery, grapple with enemies and friends of questionable motives, and , above all, stop the powerful Crystal Skull from falling into the deadliest of hands.

So IndianaJones.com has posted a pretty significant story synopsis... I regret reading it. Spoilers:

The newest Indiana Jones adventure begins in the desert Southwest in 1957 - the height of the Cold War. Indy and his sidekick Mac (Ray Winstone) have barely escaped a close scrape with nefarious Soviet agent on a remote airfield.

Now, Professor Jones has returned home to Marshall College - only to find things have gone from bad to worse. His close friend and dean of the college (Jim Broadbent) explains that Indy's recent activities have made him the object of suspicion, and that the government has put pressure on the university to fire him. On his way out of town, Indiana meets rebellious young Mutt (Shia LaBeouf), who carries both a grudge and a proposition for the adventurous archaeologist: If he'll help Mutt on a mission with deeply personal stakes, Indy could very well make one of the most spectacular archaeological finds in history - the Crystal Skull of Akator, a legendary object of fascination, superstition and fear.

But as Indy and Mutt set out for the most remote corners of Peru - a land of ancient tombs, forgotten explorers and a rumored city of gold - they quickly realize they are not alone in their search. The Soviet agents are also hot on the trail of the Crystal Skull. Chief among them is icy cold, devastatingly beautiful Irina Spalko (Cate Blanchett), whose elite military unit is scouring the globe for the eerie Crystal Skull, which they believe can help the Soviets dominate the world... if they can unlock its secrets.

Indy and Mutt must find a way to evade the ruthless Soviets, follow an impenetrable trail of mystery, grapple with enemies and friends of questionable motives, and , above all, stop the powerful Crystal Skull from falling into the deadliest of hands.

Hm. It's alright, I think. It's not a really big spoiler is it? Btw I don't like the role of the Mutt character.

Umm, HE GOT OLD!!!

True, but normally voices don't change that much over time until people get really old.

yeah they do, he was in his 30's for Raiders he 's now 65

Ted

The reason Ford sounded less than enthusiastic during BLADE RUNNER's direction is because it was a mandate from the Producers against Ridley Scott to make Ford do it, and Ford hated it, resulting in his tone. I think it works well for his character though.

I like the voiceover in the trailer. He sounds knackered, and a bit pissed off. No way it's V/O in the film though.

Of course it's not voiceover for the film. It was done specifically for the trailer. I'm sure there is an expository dialogue scene on which this voiceover is based, but instead of chopping up the dialogue --which may contain different inflections and tones based on the circumstances of the conversation-- they just went ahead and recorded the voiceover either during or after shooting.

Re: Blade Runner, yes that is the story. But I do not think Ford would intentionally sound bad and hurt his performance and the movie just because he didn't agree with it. He probably didn't deliver it with much optimism, but the badness of the voiceover cannot and should not be attributed to that. In retrospect, it's easy for Ford to say those things because he doesn't want anyone to think his voiceover was bad because he's just not good at them.

At any rate, he sounds remarkably similar to Deckard in this voiceover, mainly because it sounds nothing like the character (in either case). Let's just admit it: the man isn't good at delivering voiceovers. And that's ok. Some actors need external elements to act to their ability. Ford, I would guess, is one of them.

Ted