The cheap CD offers thread

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

We need to get this thread going again.

The WB store is selling an Elfman/Burton box for only $500 plus shipping plus customs!

Also: check out Amazon.co.uk for Powell's The Green Zone. I've never seen a new Varèse CD so cheap on the internet.

I have a few CDs I'm looking to unload. I could just dump them in the closet, but I figure there are people out there that would actually listen to them and afford my closet that little bit of extra space. They are:

John Williams Greatest Hits

Star Wars Trilogy (Boston Pops)

E.T. the original album (alternate cover/smashed case)

Land of the Giants

I don't really want anything for them. If you send shipping my way, you could take them all.

• 3 weeks later...

Not a score, but:

The deluxe version of Phil Collins' new CD of Motown covers, Going Back, is on sale at Amazon today for $5.66. I can't figure out why—as far as I can tell, it's not an early Black Friday thing, and it's not Goldbox. But it's half the price of the regular version!

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Trilogy-Box-Set/dp/B0002YCVLU

The silver Star Wars trilogy set is 25.99 USD at Amazon. That's dirt cheap for the three scores, even if they don't have the booklets.

The 2 disc Superman: The Movie, shipped and sold from Amazon for the cheap affordable price of $42.64

http://www.amazon.com/Superman-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B000046PVN/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290648584&sr=8-1

Guess it didn't last long...

It's Amazon.

They've got a 'lowest price guarantee' or something? (I've heard it mentioned here a few times.)

Pre-order price guarantee. If you order something, and the price decreases between the time of your order and when it ships, you will be charged the lowest price. Similarly, if you order something, and the price goes up, you will only be charged the price at time of order. They also had a policy that if the price of your order drops within 30 days after you purchased it, they'd give you the difference. They got rid of that though, but if you e-mail customer service if it's like a day or something after they shipped it, they'll probably honor the difference.

If it's listed on their site, they honor it, mistake or not. That's why I was kinda pissed with that site (was it WB?), that didn't honor the Blue Box and Bernsten box error when they listed them for $40. It's false advertising, and any good business would override the price since it's their mistake.

In other words, if you ever see something on Amazon that's obviously the wrong price, order it. I remember Morricone's Baaria was going for $5 right when it was released. I quickly ordered, and the next day they corrected it to $30. I was only charged $5.

I always say it: Amazon is simply the best.

In other words, if you ever see something on Amazon that's obviously the wrong price, order it. I remember Morricone's Baaria was going for $5 right when it was released. I quickly ordered, and the next day they corrected it to $30. I was only charged $5.

Ditto, thanks to you. Best bargain ever.

Ditto, thanks to you. Best bargain ever.

I also ended up with that deal because of Koray, it was awesome.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, looks like I'm not lucky on that one...

Order Placed: 27 Nov 2010

Still not shipped and now it says This title has not yet been released.... :blink: -_-

The Last Airbender for $17 (only one copy)!

http://www.amazon.co...1&condition=new

Outside possibly itunes (which I refuse to support), I can't find that anywhere in the UK at a sensible price. There's no excuse for this sort of thing to not be available digitally.

It's available from Amazon MP3, in the USA at least.

I'm guessing you get blocked if you try getting it from Amazon.com?

Has anybody who ordered ROTK CR on Amazon.co.uk actually received it ?Looks like it hasn't been in stock for a while :unsure:

I ordered it on the 25th of November. On December 24th I received an email saying that it had been dispatched.

It's tracking status is "In transit" with a delivery estimate of Jan 6th.

Star Wars: A New Hope 2CD (gotten used; okay condition overall; non smoking environment)

$8.00 (not including shipping; will re-use a previous bubble wrap package so no pakcaging cost)

PM if interested.

The Last Airbender for $17 (only one copy)!

http://www.amazon.co...1&condition=new

Outside possibly itunes (which I refuse to support), I can't find that anywhere in the UK at a sensible price. There's no excuse for this sort of thing to not be available digitally.

Out of curiosity, why won't you support iTunes?

EDIT: Also, the Blue Box is being sold by a seller on FSM for $50, free shipping for the US! Go!!! Only problem is it's the first edition, which means the book may not last.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=74900&forumID=2&archive=0

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this doesn't come across as nasty, but you might want to ask the FSM seller if the Blue Box comes from a non-smoking home. I've purchased CDs from him before, and they were saturated with the smell of cigarette smoke.

It said 8 were left in stock so I made sure to order one, thanks for the tip!

I haven't heard the score yet and if it never dropped in price it wouldn't have bothered me, I simply wouldn't have bought it. But since the opportunity came about now, I figured I might as well give it a shot.

It's really a very good score. Very heavy in Zimmer influences, but there's also quite a bit of JNH. I hate the implication is carries - that Zimmer's sound is taking over modern film scoring - but I love the score itself.

People keep saying he sounds like Zimmer, but I don't hear it at all. He up'ed the electronics and propulsive undertones in his music, so if anything, he's more like John Powell. Scores like Salt, The Tourist, and Duplicity, while still retaining heavy Howard style, ooze a bit of Powell. In this case though, I can only hear the influence in the Earthbender's theme. "Flow Like Water" is pure, amazing Newts.

I really hope the sequels get made, if only for Howard to have a franchise to call his own. I don't think he's ever done a sequel on his own before.

People keep saying he sounds like Zimmer, but I don't hear it at all. He up'ed the electronics and propulsive undertones in his music, so if anything, he's more like John Powell. Scores like Salt, The Tourist, and Duplicity, while still retaining heavy Howard style, ooze a bit of Powell. In this case though, I can only hear the influence in the Earthbender's theme. "Flow Like Water" is pure, amazing Newts.

He uses very similar chords. I couldn't name them for you, as I don't understand Music Theory, but I know they're similar. It's mainly with the main theme in Airbender, but that theme dominates the score. I also hear a lot of Zimmer in Blood Diamond.

I really hope the sequels get made, if only for Howard to have a franchise to call his own. I don't think he's ever done a sequel on his own before.

Definitely. I'd love to hear a score to Airbender 2.

He uses very similar chords. I couldn't name them for you, as I don't understand Music Theory, but I know they're similar. It's mainly with the main theme in Airbender, but that theme dominates the score. I also hear a lot of Zimmer in Blood Diamond.

Well of course, Blood Diamond is almost pure Zimmer. If you're in a war torn Africa or Middle East, it's hard to escape Zimmer's sound.

Well of course, Blood Diamond is almost pure Zimmer. If you're in a war torn Africa or Middle East, it's hard to escape Zimmer's sound.

The Zimmerish parts of Blood Diamond were not those based on African music. I'm talking almost exclusively about the very simple 15 note main theme...that type of music doesn't need to be in every single African film. For the record, I liked the score. I just wish we could have Zimmer write Zimmerish music and Howard write Howardish music.

*cough cough Lawrence of Arabia, Maurice Jarre cough cough*

If you still need the ROTK CR, Amazon UK is where you should get it:

Price: £15.99

So, I ordered this back on the 25th of November.

It was dispatched December 24th with a delivery estimate of Jan 6th.

It is now the 11th and it hasn't arrived (status is still "In transit"). Should I be worried?

I'm in the US and I've never ordered from Amazon UK before.