The Official Film Score Monthly (FSM) Thread

Ollie

I wouldn't mind Gremlins, as I used to love the Gremlins theme long before I ever got interested in film music. Its so 80s and yet so perfect. Probably would be more of a nostalgia buy than anything.

I present to you: The Gremlin Rag

Is that one of the highlights of the score? If so, then I do not think I will be buying a Gremlins CD if it was ever released. But hey, more for you guys, right?

Yes, it is the theme everyone knows and loves! You listened to the whole thing, right? Cause it starts of slow and quiet.

Oh, I listened to all four minutes or so of it, the "slow and quiet" beginning was my favorite part. I am not sure if I should mention this, but I am beginning to think I am not really a fan of Jerry Goldsmith (though I do love The Omen).

And John, I freakin' love your signature.

Of course, after all you're a reasonable, intelligent, all-around good fellow with great taste. :)

I can't believe there are people here that are basically willing to just spit in FSM's face when they do so much for us.

Speculating is one thing, deliberately posting future release info discovered through nefarious means that they want to keep secret until they announce it for various legitimate reasons is another thing entirely.

Should FSM do more to keep things they want secret secret? Absolutely! But that doesn't excuse it.

Speculation is completely different because you have no idea if you are right or wrong. The labels give you clues and people have fun with it.

And while the labels should probably find a better way to store their images it's plain rude to post something you had no hand in working on especially when it's not ready to be announced yet.

Well given the hard work and money these labels sink into bringing us this music I would thnk people would be a little more respectful and courteous.

But hey whatever floats your boat I guess.

Speculating is one thing, deliberately posting future release info discovered through nefarious means that they want to keep secret until they announce it for various legitimate reasons is another thing entirely.

Should FSM do more to keep things they want secret secret? Absolutely! But that doesn't excuse it.

Agreed, if FSM doesn't want the stuff to leak out before hand they need to quit putting the art work up on their servers before the releases. I also agree people shouldn't post the information before the release.

Is that one of the highlights of the score? If so, then I do not think I will be buying a Gremlins CD if it was ever released. But hey, more for you guys, right?

One of them. The synth stuff may take a little getting used to, but there's great stuff in the score. For the rag, I much prefer the sequel version. There's only a brief bit at the end of

, but it also includes the brilliant Pot Luck (nearly full length, too).

Oh, I listened to all four minutes or so of it, the "slow and quiet" beginning was my favorite part. I am not sure if I should mention this, but I am beginning to think I am not really a fan of Jerry Goldsmith (though I do love The Omen).

I'm not really fan of him either, just some select scores. However I do completely respect the work he has done and his unique voice in the industry.

I love some of Goldsmith scores, he's one of the reasons I'm a film music fan. But I've said it many times ,not all this scores are great and I just don't get people falling over themselves over something like Runaway , The Cassandra Crossing and Extreme Prejudice (and dozens of other ones) . I think the attention he's getting from the labels is disproportionate to the actual quality of the music

Williams is the ONLY composer I think every note should be released

I love some of Goldsmith scores, he's one of the reasons I'm a film music fan. But I've said it many times ,not all this scores are great and I just don't get people falling over themselves over something like Runaway , The Cassandra Crossing and Extreme Prejudice (and dozens of other ones) . I think the attention he's getting from the labels is disproportionate to the actual quality of the music

That has to be one of the most ignorant and mis-informed statements posted here.

Not everything Williams touches is great either.

If you want to criticize his works fine but perhaps you should stop there.

I can't believe there are people here that are basically willing to just spit in FSM's face when they do so much for us.

Seems more like FSM shooting themselves in the foot.

And even with Williams your interest level comes to a screeching halt if the work in question does not waddle in certain narrowly defined musical parameters, read easily identifiable Hollywoodized harmonies and tunes.

As André Previn put it in his bio, 'No Minor Chords', indeed!

That can go both ways too for Williams. Not everyone thinks all of Williams' works are a master piece. Hell I don't think not every one of Goldsmith's works are master pieces but I do prefer him over Williams'. Only the 'hardcore fanboys' think that everything Williams' writes is a master piece.

Plus not everything from Williams will get released, at least while he's still alive.

Well Williams has nixed a release of The Sugarland Express, which is a shame because it's the first film with Spielberg. But again, if you look at Williams' discography you will see he was pretty much the first composer to have expanded scores released and he is well represented on CD.

I mean look at it this way, Williams assembles and records cues especially for the original E.T. album. Goldsmith scores Gremlins and can only get 16 minutes of score on the album.

I've never been a fan of Goldsmith; I guess his style just doesn't work for me, and I don't like the way he uses synths.

Sure, I like a selection - 13th Warrior, The Mummy, The Edge and some of his Trek music, but he isn't a composer I get excited over. I even bought his 40 Years compilation over Christmas in an attempt to get more acquainted with his music. I liked most of the first CD but then my interest started to taper.

And I think I've ascertained that the next 2 FSMs are LP reissues, so I can probably give them a miss.

I've never been a fan of Goldsmith; I guess his style just doesn't work for me, and I don't like the way he uses synths.

I highly recommend Runaway and Alien Nation, two of Goldsmith's orchestral masterpieces of the 80's.

I highly recommend Runaway and Alien Nation, two of Goldsmith's orchestral masterpieces of the 80's.

I don't like the way he uses musical instruments.

• 4 weeks later...

The next two FSM CDs have finally been officially announced:

Dave Grusin - The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm?cdID=426

Angela Morley - Captain Nemo and the Underwater City

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm?cdID=427

The next two FSM CDs have finally been officially announced:

Dave Grusin - The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm?cdID=426

Angela Morley - Captain Nemo and the Underwater City

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm?cdID=427

My wallet's safe for a bit longer then.

I'll predict my wallet is probably safe for another 5 years or so.

Seriously though, when we get to the stage where they are releasing 90s scores every 2 weeks... Houston, we have a problem...

I'll predict my wallet is probably safe for another 5 years or so.

Seriously though, when we get to the stage where they are releasing 90s scores every 2 weeks... Houston, we have a problem...

Is there any scores in-particular you're waiting for Rich?

Well there are a few... Dante's Peak, Breakdown. I'd hug any label that reissued them.

But generally the 90s is just where most of my collection starts really, and I'd be much more confident about blind-buying than I am with older scores.

Well there are a few... Dante's Peak, Breakdown. I'd hug any label that reissued them.

But generally the 90s is just where most of my collection starts really, and I'd be much more confident about blind-buying than I am with older scores.

Yeah I know what you mean with that one. :P

Has Dante's Peak ever had a legit release?

Dante's Peak only had an OST release, never a legit release for a complete score. Supposedly there's a complete isolated score on the DVD Region 1 movie but so far all that people have been able to find is to what's on the OST'.

Dante's Peak only had an OST release, never a legit release for a complete score. Supposedly there's a complete isolated score on the DVD Region 1 movie but so far all that people have been able to find is to what's on the OST'.

So what you're saying, is that the ISO Score rumours are a load of BS?

Someone over at Intrada claimed that there are two isolated scores on the R1 DVD (one with the OST, 30 mins, the other with the full score), but the thread died at the point of me asking the guy for pointers to where the second one was. Honestly, I could barely concentrate at work once I read that - just wanted to get home and look at my DVD :P

And I think the popular footwear item going around wouldn't be missing a key cue if there was a complete iso, so yes, I'd say those claims are BS.

Although tons of game review sites all list the following easter eggs for the DVD, but I think it's typical lack of knowledge of what a score actually is, plus there's no feature called 'creating a volcano' featurette on any version of the DVD I've found.

Soundtrack

Select the "Getting Close To The Show" feature. Choose "Audio" and press Up to select "Audio 6".

Musical Score Soundtrack

Start the "Creating A Volcano" feature and press Audio Change to hear the theme written by James Newton Howard's theme and score by John Frizzell.

But there are so many more scores from around that period which I'd probably buy just from samples.

Someone over at Intrada claimed that there are two isolated scores on the R1 DVD (one with the OST, 30 mins, the other with the full score), but the thread died at the point of me asking the guy for pointers to where the second one was. Honestly, I could barely concentrate at work once I read that - just wanted to get home and look at my DVD :lol:

And I think the popular footwear item going around wouldn't be missing a key cue if there was a complete iso, so yes, I'd say those claims are BS.

Although tons of game review sites all list the following easter eggs for the DVD, but I think it's typical lack of knowledge of what a score actually is, plus there's no feature called 'creating a volcano' featurette on any version of the DVD I've found.

Soundtrack

Select the "Getting Close To The Show" feature. Choose "Audio" and press Up to select "Audio 6".

Musical Score Soundtrack

Start the "Creating A Volcano" feature and press Audio Change to hear the theme written by James Newton Howard's theme and score by John Frizzell.

But there are so many more scores from around that period which I'd probably buy just from samples.

Hmmm pity. It will come one day, hopefully soon. :)

If anyone is curious about the FSM releases, I would recommend Angela Morley's Captain Nemo score.

• 1 month later...

I don't think it's been mentioned here, but there's been lots and lots of signs pointing towards the big July FSM release being Gremlins. FSM is premiering it at Comic Con.... and guess who was just announced as appearing at Comic Con this year?

Thursday, July 23, 2009 - (...) Legendary director Joe Dante (Gremlins 1 & 2, Innerspace, Explorers, The Howling) makes his return to the genre he knows best with the 3D thriller The Hole. Three kids come face to face with their darkest fears after they unlock a bottomless hole in the basement that makes their nightmares come to life. Join Dante-along with actress Haley Bennett (The Haunting of Molly Hartley) - as he discusses his return to thrillers, working in 3D, and The Hole

Of course, a lot of guys on the FSM boards are still predicting an expanded Star Trek score, Back to the Future, Goonies, Batman, Innerspace, etc as well...

I'm still predicting BTTF ;) I mean the main theme is classic, the movie is classic. Seems like a bigger draw than Gremlins.

And there was a UK film called The Hole in 2001 that sounds pretty much the same as that.