Michael Giacchino's LOST (2004-2010) - live concert tour in 2024

Jay

So, ignoring the actual finale, which really SHOULD get its own CD release like Season 3, I thought I'd mention that Jimmy Kimmel's band last night was actually led by Giacchino and they were playing jazz arrangements of Lost music for the whole show - for instance, when Matthew Fox was walking out, they were rocking the Oceanic 6 theme. Maybe it's just me, but I'd totally buy a whole CD of jazz Lost covers.

Can we get a video of this?

Jimmy Kimmel Live has its own Youtube channel Jimmy Kimmel Live. You can find videos of Aloha to Lost special where you can see among other things Giacchino and the band. It was really neat to see Terry O'Quinn give Michael a big appreciative hug when he walked on stage.

It's pretty difficult finding the music (just heard the intro to Matthew Fox, that's all) without watching the whole show, which I can't. Any pointers, or a montage of the music?

So, about the season 5 CD...

There are some tracks that seem to not correspond to their episodes. I can't find where the first track "Making Up For Lost Time" takes place, and the brilliantly suspenseful end of "Locke's Excellent Adventure". Maybe I've just missed them, but this seems like the first soundtrack release that has unreleased, or mislabelled, music.

It's pretty difficult finding the music (just heard the intro to Matthew Fox, that's all) without watching the whole show, which I can't. Any pointers, or a montage of the music?

So, about the season 5 CD...

There are some tracks that seem to not correspond to their episodes. I can't find where the first track "Making Up For Lost Time" takes place, and the brilliantly suspenseful end of "Locke's Excellent Adventure". Maybe I've just missed them, but this seems like the first soundtrack release that has unreleased, or mislabelled, music.

Making Up for Lost Time is from the scene where Ben explains to Jack what happened after the O6 left the Island. Basically it underscores Ben and Locke saying goodbye(again) and Ben moving the Island. Funnily enough we have two different versions of the score of the same scene from different seasons now ;).

Locke's Excellent Adventure comes from the episode the Life and Death of Jeremy Benthamand seems to contain unused music. The cue underscores Locke moving the Island and his subsequent appearance in the desert and his rush to the hospital in the Arab truck and setting of his leg. All the music after Locke arrives to the hospital in Tunisia seems to have been cut and rescored (most probably) and the CD contains the original cool variations on Locke's theme instead of the tense score used in the episode.

I'm listening to the S5 OST right now, and it cracks me up because every time Sawyer's love theme starts, a part of my brain expects it to be Locke's sideways theme. :)

The Season 5 OST is growing on me listening after listening. It may not be a perfect listening experience, but there's a boatload of amusing and exciting material.

I think the last 4 tracks ("Dharma Vs. Lostaways", "Jack's Swan Song", "The Incident", "Jacob's Stabber") forms a great kind of suite. I deeply love when the trombones kick in with that great minor-mode motif during the actual incident sequence. Thrilling stuff, imho.

Yeah, there's certainly some good stuff in there. One of my favorite moments in the whole album is the statement of Jacob's theme around the time Locke kicks him into the fire. Sooooo good. But on the whole, the album contains too much repeated material and new but dull material for me to even be able to place it on par with the S4 OST, which I previously considered to be the weakest. It was still worth buying, and I'm still grateful for its release, and I still greatly look forward to the S6 OST, which I'm sure will be flippin' awesome. But S5...meh. :lol:

• 1 month later...

You gotta read the title of the page :)

Only bummer is that it appears it will only be one disc.

I'm sure it'll be on Varese's site soon enough

Robert Townson did announce it at Ubeda last week, and played tracks from it

Yes Robert Townson played a track called "Moving On" from the upcoming Lost CD.

Fans seemed to crazy over it, but to me it sounded rather boring and simplistic, like TV music.

I heard a lot of LOST this week, not really impressed.

I found it mentioned somewhere on the FSM boards. Either the Ubeda thread or one of the LOST threads. At Ubeda he didn't mention a release date, and the clip he played from the finale of The End, I believe.

EDIT: Steef beat me by seconds

Steef, LOST music certainly isn't for everyone, it can take a little while to get used to. Have you ever seen the show?

Fans seemed to crazy over it, but to me it sounded rather boring and simplistic, like TV music. I heard a lot of LOST this week, not really impressed.

That's exactly how I felt about the music when I first started watching the show. It took a while for me to start really connecting with the emotions in the music despite the simplicity of some passages. And then I started hearing all this complexity that I'd ignored at first. And the number of leitmotifs Giacchino juggled over the course of all 6 seasons is amazing.

Two different videos of Giacchino conducting "Moving On" at Ubeda

Hopefully the OST contains the choir :lol:

Varese is spoiling us by getting Season 6 out in August.

Is it me or is this board moving slowly this morning?

As a recent Lost music convert, I'll be disappointed if this turns out to be only one disc, and it will only allow for an average of one cue per episode (almost certainly skewed towards the final episode).

My personal desires are for as much material as possible from Ab Aeterno. I just love that theme, and it sort of warmed up Giacchino's usual colder and sparser sound.

• 2 weeks later...

It's also still not listed on Varese's official website, so I don't think its actually coming out August 24th. Amazon must have just guessed at a release date and decided to start taking pre-orders.

That performance of "Moving On" seems to be purely a concert piece based loosely on the finale from 'The End'. There's no Jack's theme to begin it, no Hurley's theme at the church; only what I think is the first sideflash theme, the Oceanic 6 theme and luminous Life & Death/Lost theme conterpoint at the end. Anyway, we'd be lucky if that piece is on the CD, considering Lost was never recorded with a choir.

As for this August release date, it seems totally spurious to me, and I'm not holding to it. The producers would be wise not to do the same as ever and release it a year after the end of that season. Lost-fever will have died by next summer and no boxset will accompany a soundtrack release. I'm sure it will come out sooner than that, but Varese's release date is the last word, really.

Wel, it can't be anything else but a concert piece. The beginning is from the beginning of the episode, isn't it? Then it segues to the material from the end.

Karol

I went ahead and ordered it off the Amazon page. I realize it's kind of flimsy since the CD hasn't even been announced yet or whatever, but I get the feeling that it will be 2 CD's and that the price will end up being higher than that on the page, so I ordered it before it went up. If the price goes up, I save the money. If it goes down, then I get the money back because of Amazon's policies. If that page turns out to be crap, I'm sure Amazon will refund. They're good about that.

Well good news is that it is a 2 disc set. More Lost music for us all to enjoy! :angry:

This is one of the reasons why I don't get excited until it officially goes up on Varese's website.

But yeah, this release has to be a 2 disc set.

LOST: The Final Season

Original Television Soundtrack

Music by Michael Giacchino

It all comes down to this. Television’s most innovative and compelling series comes to a stunning conclusion in the sixth and final season of LOST. In the aftermath of a monumental explosion, reality shifts for everyone associated with the mystical island. The critically acclaimed epic drama will finally reveal the fate of the Oceanic 815 survivors and all who have joined their journey.

Academy Award winner Michael Giacchino’s music has played a huge role in the series from the very beginning, and this latest collection of Lost musical highlights is a two-disc set, featuring two and a half hours of Season 6’s touching and thrilling score.

LOST Season 6 will be available on DVD and BluRay from ABC Home Video on August 24.

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 067 040 2

Release Date: 09/14/10

I couldn't find the actual Lost thread, so Imma just post this here despite not really having to do with the music.

I'm surprised nobody brought up the epilogue that's supposed to be on the DVD called "The New Man in Charge". I found it, and it basically just ties up a bunch of loose ends such as wtf was with the polar bear and why did they forget about Walt. Worth a watch.