What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

The Ghost and the Darkness - Jerry Goldsmith

There were parts of this score that sounded like another Goldsmith score that compelled me to listen to:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Jerry Goldsmith

First he rips off Rudy for the Irish theme and now Star Trek! Goldsmith is a hack!

Born on the Fourth of July by John Williams: Yeah it is ok. Nah, it is fantastic. Nope it is frigging brilliant!

It is Williams at his lyrical passionate Americana best! The only downside is that the album only has about 25 minutes of score. Despite the full score being highly repetetive, there are several pieces JW could have included for colour and variety.

P.S. The suite on the JW/Boston Pops album Music of Stage and Screen contains the brilliant suite which sums up the score's elements succintly.

Now this type of Americana Williams I like. Especially if it's so skillfully perverted and subverted later in the score. Some kick ass themes in this one. Wouldn't mind an expansion.

Karol

John Williams - Raiders of the Lost Ark

Love the use of choir and the fun different styles of each action cue.

John Williams - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Never thought before about how this score is kind of done in 3 "acts" - Act 1 takes our heroes from Shanghai to the Himalyas to the Indian village to Pankot Palace. Act 2 is dark and creepy with trouble at dinner, trouble in the tunnels, trouble at a sacrifice, and ending with Indy being freaking possessed! Act 3 is just balls to the wall action and among the abosolute best and craziest action music Williams has ever done. Who else can keep the adrenaline up like this, while being continuously musically interesting, for like 30 minutes straight? Its just fantastic!

John Williams - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Love the religioso ending to this. It bring a nice and welcome flavor to the trilogy. Nice and warm. Also just can't get over how much I love the opening 15 minute sequence. Its stellar from start to finish!

Not a bad trio of scores at all. ;)

Now this type of Americana Williams I like. Especially if it's so skillfully perverted and subverted later in the score. Some kick ass themes in this one. Wouldn't mind an expansion.

Karol

It is actually brilliant how pure, idealistic and innocent the original readings of the "home/family" theme are at the beginning and how they suddenly deteriorate when the character's perceptions and naivete is shattered by the war and how the heavy and grim "horrors of war" motif becomes more and more prevalent along with the haunting trumpet theme. I remember watching the film and the way the music supports the idyllic montage of Ron Kovic growing up is enough to make you tear up for the thought of what is to come.

One thing I like about the only thing that really unifies the trilogy of scores together in Indy's own themes. Yes the ark theme cameos in TLC, and the basket chase melody cameos in TOD. But with a different love interest and different locations in all 3 films, there is no reason to have a crazy connected work of themes and lietmotifs. They are all perfect the way they are.

One thing I like about the only thing that really unifies the trilogy of scores together in Indy's own themes. Yes the ark theme cameos in TLC, and the basket chase melody cameos in TOD. But with a different love interest and different locations in all 3 films, there is no reason to have a crazy connected work of themes and lietmotifs. They are all perfect the way they are.

Yeah each adventure is basically brand new so everything but Indy changes. And it works very well musically.

They don't feel like completely different scores connected only by the main theme, and they don't feel like he's repeating himself at all either. A master at work.

He manages to keep coming up with new ways to use Indy's theme, year after year.

They don't feel like completely different scores connected only by the main theme, and they don't feel like he's repeating himself at all either. A master at work.

He manages to keep coming up with new ways to use Indy's theme, year after year.

Well Williams often speaks of how easy it is for him to get back to the mood and feel of these adventures and how he again feels at home in the idiom only after a few hours of writing. And I think he really enjoyed doing these different things while still keeping it in the same ballpark stylistically.

Each Indy score also has its own sound I feel, partly because of the orchestras employed and recording technique but also because JW consciously orchestrates a bit differently each time. E.g. the sound of Raiders and TLC are very individual but the feel is the same fun adventurous vibe.

Yes, agreed, they each have a different sound to the orchestra, and a different recording style. And each is appropriately used for the way Williams wrote each score.

Keisuke Wakao Plays the Music of John Williams: Hands down one of THE best JW compilations. Williams' most enduring lyrical themes are adapted for a chamber orchestra with the oboe as the centerpiece. Keisuke Wakao, a member of the Boston Symphony Orchestra, the BSO harpist Ann Hobson Pilot and the Borromeo string quartet create a magical hour of new interpretations on pieces like Princess Leia's Theme, Theme from Sabrina, The Face of Pan from Hook, themes from Schindler's List and a beautiful suite from Accidental Tourist. The playing is top notch and arrangements by the pianist Kazunori Maruyama are both sensitive to the style and content of the pieces. As a special treat Williams himself appears in a duet with Wakao on the last track, The Days Between from Stepmom, which the Maestro specifically arranged for this album.

Keisuke Wakao Plays the Music of John Williams: Hands down one of THE best JW compilations. Williams' most enduring lyrical themes are adapted for a chamber orchestra with the oboe as the centerpiece. Keisuke Wakao, a member of the Boston Symphony Orchestra, the BSO harpist Ann Hobson Pilot and the Borromeo string quartet create a magical hour of new interpretations on pieces like Princess Leia's Theme, Theme from Sabrina, The Face of Pan from Hook, themes from Schindler's List and a beautiful suite from Accidental Tourist. The playing is top notch and arrangements by the pianist Kazunori Maruyama are both sensitive to the style and content of the pieces. As a special treat Williams himself appears in a duet with Wakao on the last track, The Days Between from Stepmom, which the Maestro specifically arranged for this album.

Definitely an album for me to discover, but it doesn't seem easy to find... at least in Canada.

Definitely an album for me to discover, but it doesn't seem easy to find... at least in Canada.

Yeah unfortunately it is pretty rare album and mainly available from Asian internet retailers.

61IM4-e2BKL._SY450_.jpg

Found this on Spotify and listened to it. It's great!

Starts with a 7-track (~25 minute) suite of music from Aaron Copland's The Red Pony. I had never heard this before and it was lovely!

Then comes a 3-track (~14 minutes) suite of music from Born on the Fourth of July. How has this score not been a part of my regular rotation of Williams scores? This is great stuff! Love the horn solos.

Next is "Quiet City for Strings, Trumpet, and English Horn" by Aaron Copland and it was nice too. Perhaps the least memorable part of the CD; I need to listen again.

And finally is an almost 19 minute suite from The Reivers, narrated by Burgess Meredith. I have heard this performed live (well, I don't know if its the exact same version) and its very lovely and fun as well. At least the parts in between the narration ;)

What a fine CD!

Adrenaline pumping Zimmer is Zimmer at his least musically interesting.

I agree. One of the reasons Interstellar was so good. He excels in this sort of more textural style of music. For example, I always found Strength and Honor to be one of the most enjoyable tracks from Gladiator

The River by John Williams: This is truly a small gem of a score from the Maestro who gave singularly different approaches to Americana to director Mark Rydell with each of three films they did together (The Cowboys, Cinderella Liberty and The River). The sunny upbeat main theme is a joyful piece supported by the slightly pop-ish drumkit, giving it a subtly more contemporary veneer while still remaining bucolic and lyrical. The love theme on the other hand dips into jazz inflections with its haunting solo flute (moodier antecedent of War Horse) and trumpet and is inarguably the highlight of the score. Guitar is featured on a number of tracks like the playful Growing Up and Young Friends Farewell and it brings part rural part lyrical feel to the music. The finale of the score The Ancestral Home (presented in the middle of the album) features a new, noble slowly developing home & hearth melody in great JW tradition as it rises to a resounding and reaffirming crescendo. The mood of the disc varies from the unabashed excitement and joy to the synth peppered subtle suspense pieces like the Tractor so there is both thematic development and variety going on throughout the relatively short soundtrack which features a lion's share of the score. As I said, a smaller scaled gem from Williams' grand symphonic period of 1980s.

61IM4-e2BKL._SY450_.jpg

Then comes a 3-track (~14 minutes) suite of music from Born on the Fourth of July. How has this score not been a part of my regular rotation of Williams scores? This is great stuff! Love the horn solos.

One small correction Jay. It is the trumpet that is playing the solos in Born on the Fourth of July. Tim Morrison, the trumpet maestro par excellence no less. ;)

But it is indeed a brilliant album and of the two Copland pieces on the disc I now prefer the Quiet City where Morrison again truly shines in his duet with the English horn.

Is it just me or does the title cue for The River (excluding the jazzy trumpet solo in the second half) sounds like the theme song for a sitcom? It's just me isn't it?

It's very frolicking.

Yeah froclicking, that's the word. I could imagine the main theme being used for a 1980s TV series on the same subject as the film, a farmer struggling to make ends meet in a little town with the river threatening to flood and destroy his livelyhood.

I thought I'd pop in to say I still don't quite like Desplat's Godzilla. Should I seek professional help?

Well before I'll take that transplant speciali,st this just in:

The Ghost and the Darkness (Intrada complete release) by Jerry Goldsmith: This just arrived and it has to be said that the full mix of the actual film versions sounds right from the get go more dynamic than the original album and all the additional music fleshes out all parts of Goldsmith's work wonderfully. Sounds very very good to these ears. ;)

You'll be in for a treat. :)

Further listening reveals that the vocal work is much more prominent, which is a good thing.

8950.jpg14557.jpg

Lincoln and Rosewood, the original album only: both exemplary scores, though quite different from the mainstream sounding Williams I grew up with.

Let's just say I have yet to warm to disc 1 of Rosewood, because it's not that long I have this 2 disc set. But the album is lovely.

I very much like the original album for Rosewood. The expanded release, while brilliantly produced, can't really compare in terms of listenability. There are a couple of nice bits here and there but generally I prefer the standard version of this.

Karol

I agree that the OST is a great listening experience but mostly end up listening to the complete score with the gospel songs added to the programme.