What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Yep, those are two of his absolute crappiest scores. They have nothing going for them... Don't know what JB was thinking when he wrote them. :shakehead:

Give me the modern masterpieces any day of the week. ;)

I can't detect a shred of sarcasm in your post. You should be ashamed of yourself!

They're both good scores but John Barry in general doesn't do much for me.

John Barry doesn't do much, period.

Well, not any more, anyway. . . .

But if one of his best Bond scores and what is arguably the masterpiece of his career can't get through to you? Yeah, that brain exam might just be in order. . . .

John Barry - Dances With Wolves

The 2004 expanded release is on Spotify, so I listened to that. Great score, with great themes!

John Barry - Dances With Wolves

The 2004 expanded release is on Spotify, so I listened to that. Great score, with great themes!

Finally someone with all his marbles present. ;)

The Phantom Menace by John Williams

I listened to the OST on Spotify. Wow, i haven't listened to this in AGES. It's actually a really nice OST, a very nice selection of music. If you had never seen the film or hear the other half of the score, you really wouldn't have much to complain about.

Another funny thing is I found myself in my head "filling in the gaps" of all the music Williams snipped out. Like in my head I'd continue on with the full cue of a microedited bit, or go right to the next intended cue if Williams cut off a track at the end of a cue intended to segue to another.... guess the longer score is much more ingrained in my head that this version.

Man, there is some great music in this score. How cool is The Droid Battle?

I also love love love the way the DOTF motif is worked into film cues, like that track, and the Qui-Gon's noble end track. Brilliant stuff

I remember listening to it nonstop in the summer of 1999.

It wasn't until I figured out how to hack into the TPM video game and saw the film a few more times that I realized how many cool Force Theme statements weren't on the OST... among many other highlights.

Thus JWFan was born....

The Blue Max by Jerry Goldsmith

QB VII by Jerry Goldsmith

Which "QB VII", the OST, or the re-recording?

The re-recording.

The Perfect Storm is one such rare album where the full 80 minutes doesn't feel too long. There's so much going on thematically and the excitement is pretty much constant. Some good material not on the album though that I would love to hear in a complete presentation. The score's the icing on the cake of a great decade of Horner classics.

At the time it was seen as an equivalent of Williams' The Patriot from the same year. Extremely competent and enjoyable but tired.

Karol

I never looked at it this way. There was a refinement, if you will, amidst all the plagiarism and eye-rolling recycling of Horner's going on after TITANIC - for me, the following scores are (flawed) pieces with all at least having two or three cues or ideas in them that are pure masterstrokes of Hollywood mainstream music:

- MIGHTY JOE YOUNG > cute Di$ney stuff, a bit repetitive but full of thematic and motivic ideas and orchestral timbres

- PERFECT STORM > really Horner's own sea symphony, much too repetitive and full of schmaltzy americana but impossible not to love if you are a sucker for wistful musical storytelling, it's like bathing in a sea of molten Reese's pieces; you will fall into diabetic coma but the occasion was very well worth it

- ENEMY AT THE GATES > Horner's ode to the russians, colossal construction, too repetitive (of course) but again, the wealth of operatic material is staggering

- A BEAUTIFUL MIND > the darker material seems simple on the surface but it's so effective it hurts

- THE FOUR FEATHERS > a lot of meandering but 'The Mahdi' and 'Escape' should be on any Horner playlist

- THE MISSING > actually the least of those, more like a refined re-writing of LEGENDS OF THE FALL and THUNDERHEART; it's actually a 'better' score than LOTF because it's not just baroque mush but balances that with much more inventive atmospheric (not spheric) material

After that, Horner really slipped into a more forgettable career phase. I don't think we will ever again hear something from him that improves on his repertory.

Both are (STELLAIRE III is the shortest and most eloquent summation of questing 'out there' music i've ver heard). PERFECT STORM sounds as if somebody stood at Horner's shoulder constantly yelling 'MORE!' when he composed it, it's so hell-bent on melodies and grand schmaltzy adventure gestures you can only marvel at Horner's craft (the beginning of 'The Decision to turn around' still gets me hard after all these years).

MISSION TO MARS - Ennio Morricone

If not for a suspicious amount of self-pilgrimage ('Secret of the Sahara' - The Mountain in particular), MISSION TO MARS would proudly stand its place not too far down the short Best-of-2000's list. Morricone does what the always does: providing a purely idiosyncratic reading on the big themes of space travel and the question what there is out there. What in 2000 might have turned people off, especially when fed on slickster work like APOLLO 13 and the likes now seems like a breath of fresh air, especially in sci-fi that nowadays mostly releases violent temp-trackeritis or has regressed into pure sound design with hardly a musical thought in sight.

Morricone's set-up seems fairly simple: huge string orchestra, female chorus, some chirpy synths, baroque brass, this dreaded organ which so turned moviegoers off with its dare to try something beyond noble trumpet solos and the effortless integration of concert-hall dialectics (just listen to 'Sacrifice of a Hero' after the 3-minute mark) are anything but.

What it accomplishes is i guess taking you on a journey that is exclusively tied to that one character who just experiences space travel for the first time - the already mentioned 'Sacrifice' cue after the 06:50 mark with its strong pastoral feeling confirms this, it's like a sudden intrusion of memories from earth while floating in the vast unknown, gravity-free space.

The 60-minutes of score on the soundtrack sadly are not in order but in the movie Morricone subtly and gradually liberates his earthbound strings into what now is considered on of world's worst sci-fi music moments, the organ stuff (that wouldn't even have occurred to me if other listeners wouldn't have constantly complained about it) and baroque trumpets heralding a successful conquest that is then silenced by a return to the soft main theme, the journey's end in a perfect moment of reflection. It's just a wonderful score - one could write a thesis on it, really - and if there is one thing i never 'forgave' Filmtracks, it's the daft/rustic dress-down of this score, treating Morricone as if he was a retarded child in need of pity ('Well, at least you tried, boy' - pat on the back).

Great post! This is my favorite Morricone score

The only thing that bothers me is somewhat cheap sounding synths in some cues. Other than that, I really like the music as written.

Karol

I never looked at it this way. There was a refinement, if you will, amidst all the plagiarism and eye-rolling recycling of Horner's going on after TITANIC - for me, the following scores are (flawed) pieces with all at least having two or three cues or ideas in them that are pure masterstrokes of Hollywood mainstream music:

- MIGHTY JOE YOUNG > cute Di$ney stuff, a bit repetitive but full of thematic and motivic ideas and orchestral timbres

- PERFECT STORM > really Horner's own sea symphony, much too repetitive and full of schmaltzy americana but impossible not to love if you are a sucker for wistful musical storytelling, it's like bathing in a sea of molten Reese's pieces; you will fall into diabetic coma but the occasion was very well worth it

- ENEMY AT THE GATES > Horner's ode to the russians, colossal construction, too repetitive (of course) but again, the wealth of operatic material is staggering

- A BEAUTIFUL MIND > the darker material seems simple on the surface but it's so effective it hurts

- THE FOUR FEATHERS > a lot of meandering but 'The Mahdi' and 'Escape' should be on any Horner playlist

- THE MISSING > actually the least of those, more like a refined re-writing of LEGENDS OF THE FALL and THUNDERHEART; it's actually a 'better' score than LOTF because it's not just baroque mush but balances that with much more inventive atmospheric (not spheric) material

After that, Horner really slipped into a more forgettable career phase. I don't think we will ever again hear something from him that improves on his repertory.

I don't know, pub. Always felt this was one of the weakest parts of Horner's career and it started to improve with... The Missing.

So there you go, we're going nowhere here. ;)

Karol

I don't know, pub. Always felt this was one of the weakest parts of Horner's career and it started to improve with... The Missing.

He writes the same stuff now, only more tired.

Panic Room (Shore) - I'm not sure how this one's escaped me for so long. It's quite possibly Shore's darkest score - even Se7en and The Cell sound comparatively warm - and there isn't much in the way of thematic material, but there's still a lot to recommend. The orchestra (weirdly lacking trumpets, unless those are muted trumpets in "Caution - Flammable") swirls and seethes through a thirty-minute album that, unlike most score albums of that length, really isn't too short. There are few scores I can think of that so deliciously communicate fear as effectively as this. Really, what a shame Fincher doesn't still use Shore. His recent films would have been much better with something even resembling competent music.

The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out of Water (Debney) - Sponge Out of Water goes in the direction of fun nearly as far as Panic Room goes in the direction of fear with a lovely throwback to swashbucklers of a bygone era. While it loses steam as the album progresses, the highlight tracks (1,3,4) have a dare-I-say Williamsian flair to them. On another note, these might be the worst track titles I've ever seen.

Also, these two scores work surprisingly well in a shuffled playlist together.

He writes the same stuff now, only less tired.

Fixed! ;)

Karol

:up: The Mahdi is a tremendous cue... one of his very best long epics.

:down: Let's just say our tastes are opposed when it comes to Legends and Missing.

:down: Let's just say our tastes are opposed when it comes to Legends and Missing.

No. Yours is wrong...

;)

He writes the same stuff now, only less tired.

Fixed! ;)

Karol

You are so...childish!

Undecided. I can't say i really get the 'tone'. Sounds a bit like a late 70's tv opening. Sadly the second youtube link is forbidden in Germany and my Proxmate doesn't work...

Panic Room (Shore) - I'm not sure how this one's escaped me for so long. It's quite possibly Shore's darkest score - even Se7en and The Cell sound comparatively warm - and there isn't much in the way of thematic material, but there's still a lot to recommend. The orchestra (weirdly lacking trumpets, unless those are muted trumpets in "Caution - Flammable") swirls and seethes through a thirty-minute album that, unlike most score albums of that length, really isn't too short. There are few scores I can think of that so deliciously communicate fear as effectively as this. Really, what a shame Fincher doesn't still use Shore. His recent films would have been much better with something even resembling competent music.

The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out of Water (Debney) - Sponge Out of Water goes in the direction of fun nearly as far as Panic Room goes in the direction of fear with a lovely throwback to swashbucklers of a bygone era. While it loses steam as the album progresses, the highlight tracks (1,3,4) have a dare-I-say Williamsian flair to them. On another note, these might be the worst track titles I've ever seen.

Panic Room is an underrated film and score. Signature Shore.

Have you heard his The Journey Inside? It's probably among his grandest scores and pretty conventional one in that respect. One of this two chances to write for big orchestra. It's brief but really nice.

Karol

:lol:

Mmmh. Much too chipper. I dig RETURN TO OZ, though.

Why so grouchy? There's no satisfying you lately. Don't you love me anymore?

Karol

Mission to Mars by Ennio Morricone: Quite interesting throughout and certainly a refreshingly different way of handling the scoring of exploration of space in the noughties yet remains oddly unsatisfying as a whole. I vastly prefer the middle portion of the score with the suspense material with synth and choir than the sandwiching statements of the main theme, which sounds to me like it belongs into the 1980s (in a good way).

:music:Overture from El Cid (Tadlow re-recording)

Why so grouchy? There's no satisfying you lately. Don't you love me anymore?

Just suggest music that pleases me and all will be well again!