What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Apollo 13 > Braveheart > The Name of the Rose > Star Trek II/III > Brainstorm > everything else

I really have to give Name of the Rose a proper listen, since you put it among his very best scores. I don't think I've ever listened to it, which for a Horner-fan like myself is simply not OK.

You guys left out Krull. Absolute powerhouse of a score. He hasn't hit those highs (save for The Rocketeer) after the mid-1990s.

Totally right ! Krull is Horner's version of 1977 Star Wars. Imagine if we would've had a trilogy of Krulls ? What awesomeness that would've been !! :drool:

E.T. - The Extraterrestrial (the stupendous complete edit) by John Williams

Across the Sea of Time. From the first notes, you always know you're listening to John Barry. He was never able to vary his sound much from score to score. (Once, in my earliest days of collecting, I had a cassette with King Kong recorded on one side and Moonraker on the other. I stuck it in my car stereo one night without looking at which side was which. I listened for a minute, and could not tell which score I was hearing. I pushed the button to flip sides, listened some more. Still couldn't tell.) He had, for the most part, a single, elemental aural landscape, full of patient, repetitive, predictable progressions on strings with occasional brass highlights. Nothing much different than that.

And yet it's such a beautiful sound. This is a gorgeous, thoughtful score, full of exactly what you'd expect from Mr. Barry—which is exactly what you want to hear when you listen to him. The film was less than an hour long, and he filled it with 43 minutes of music. I've never seen it, but I'd like to now.

Horner's best? Oh dear. Hard to tell. I do know Apollo 13 would be up there, high.

You guys left out Krull. Absolute powerhouse of a score. He hasn't hit those highs (save for The Rocketeer) after the mid-1990s.

These two, plus Glory. Horner's trifecta of greatness.

I absolutely love Horner's opening track for The Name of the Rose. It's one of the most atmospheric and evocative pieces of music he has written. The rest of the score doesn't quite live up to it, IMHO

I absolutely love Horner's opening track for The Name of the Rose. It's one of the most atmospheric and evocative pieces of music he has written. The rest of the score doesn't quite live up to it, IMHO

Still, it was a brave undertaking back then (medieval on synths) and there is a delicious bleakness hanging over the whole thing - it never tries to gloss up the surroundings with Hollywood lyricism (which is almost a startling revelation when your frame of reference is LEGENDS OF THE FALL et al.).

Are there any other dreadful pennies out there?

And I should revisit Korzeniowski's score for the series. I remember it to be rather atmospheric and steeped in elegant musical shadows.

It's not exactly the most sprawling of scores: recorded with smaller orchestra and quite moody.

But there are some things there that are new for Korzeniowski that I really like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoKZEVLC4wQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUoLHTS4h8w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2or86WlA9E

Karol

THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR - Bernard Herrmann

Still prime Herrmann, and uncommon for him, occasionally very gentle - as it is fitting for Joe Mankiewicz's sweetly haunted love story, in contrast to Hitchcock's often oppressive/obsessive pictures (THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY excepted). The spooky rising arpeggios that open the main title are gripping and when Herrmann uses them later as hypnotic harp solo, it's moody film music heaven. The yearning theme for Mrs. Muir is lovely, though it's for me really the more dramatic and atmospheric stuff that makes this music special to me. One cue of note that doesn't fit right in is 'Andante Cantabile', which plays more like a classical string lament. It's unfortunately missing from the otherwise perfect Bernstein re-recording.

I remember putting this score in a playlist with other new scores before I was familiar with it and when it started to play I was wondering who is the composer of this gorgeous music. Then I suddenly realized it was Herrmann and although there are tell tale signs in the music, the opening didn't feel nothing like the maestro of suspense and psychogical dread and tension I was used to prior to hearing more of his work. Absolutely gorgeous stuff. And Bernstein re-recording is indeed beautiful presentation of the score.

Not one of Basil's best. A little hackneyed, drawing too heavily from the themes from the first movie (Under Steef: Too Brief a Ban). I liked the Steven Seagal song, though.

Maybe if we get a full release someday, this one will sound at little better. . . .

Penny Dreadful

Karol

After taking another listen I have to say this is a neater score than I remembered. It has gotten better with time. :)

I'll watch it for Eva Green and Timothy Dalton. Great performances. Let's hope Abel is able to expand upon his previous music. He is still doing the score, right?

Hope he does that too. The show itself might not be exactly top of the line (like GOT or other things like that) but it's decent. Great production values, acting and some gore sell it for me. I'll check out the new season.

:music:The River Wild

Karol

Hope he does that too. The show itself might not be exactly top of the line (like GOT or other things like that) but it's decent. Great production values, acting and some gore sell it for me. I'll check out the new season.

:music:The River Wild

Karol

Yeah plot-wise they went a bit over the top by including so many famous faces from horror literature but parts (apart from the heaps of gore) are very entertaining and they certainly got the mood right.

:music:Tale of a Forest by Panu Aaltio

Depending on who is coming to dinner the life of pie can be a drastically short one.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Elmer Bernstein

Couldn't agree more, Mikko. It's pretty much the perfect representation of this score. There are three themes that are particularly gorgeous (Lygia's, Eunice's and Pretonius', all superbly combined in the Romanza movement of the concert suite) , but I also love the various statements (from full orchestra, to a capella) renditions of the ressurection Hymn. And the Ave Caesar/Fourth fanfare for Nero was the biggest revelation for me in this release

Every cue seems to have a strong internal structure with beginning, middle and end and the source music-like dances for example seem almost concert piece styled in their form (see the suite at the end of the disc for futher elaborations on these musical ideas in true concert setting). This combined with Rózsa's brand of gorgeous melodies for the main characters, full blazing symphonic scoring for spectacle and his trademark Roman marches exuding overveening pride, oppression and military splendour creates an impressive package.

Beautifully put. QV is one of his greatest epics.

The Blue Max. Hard to believe but this is only my second listen of this score.

Karol

I should give it another spin. It has been a while as I kind of burned myself out on it when I first got it and listened to it A LOT. One of Jerry's absolute best.

I recently watched the movie and it was disheartening how much they shuffled or took out altogether. Goldsmith channels Strauss and Hindemith - the fugal writing and the passacaglia are of the same strict adherence to classical forms as those of Waxman and Rózsa, both his mentors. It's a remarkable work for a composer in his mid-30's.

Today I listened to a playlist on my ipod containing all three Lord of the Rings Complete Recordings releases - but on shuffle.

I found myself liking the tracks containing Dangerous Passes the best. What a cool theme.

Yep, those are two of his absolute crappiest scores. They have nothing going for them... Don't know what JB was thinking when he wrote them. :shakehead:

Give me the modern masterpieces any day of the week. ;)

Yep, those are two of his absolute crappiest scores. They have nothing going for them... Don't know what JB was thinking when he wrote them. :shakehead:

Give me the modern masterpieces any day of the week. ;)

I can't detect a shred of sarcasm in your post. You should be ashamed of yourself!