What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

A brilliant foreshadowing of The Emperors Theme

Although it didn't actually need foreshadowing. It shows up several times during the film itself with Darth Sidious. This silly carnival type setting is a fun little nod though to it.

Heck no! I am not insane! You have those blood thirsty trekkies there to defend you. So those threads shall be your refuge!

Sleepy Hollow. First Danny Elfman album I bought (not first score I knew). Not a bad way to start. It is actually a very good one. Love the main theme.

Karol

The Cowboys :music:

A nice score. The concert arrangement (found on many compilation albums) contains all of the necessary highlights though.

The suite is fabulous and has become a favourite of mine, but the score has some worthwhile bits that aren't in the suite.

There's a fantastic rendition of it on the Boston Pops "By Request" album

That and the Liberty Fanfare are what make that album a must have.

Sleepy Hollow. First Danny Elfman album I bought (not first score I knew). Not a bad way to start. It is actually a very good one. Love the main theme.

Karol

Actually my first Elfman album too. I was so impressed by the score in the film I quickly bought the CD after seeing it.

Air Force One

Good thing I planned to have my car detailed today, because of the Jerrygasm in the front seat last night. I realized the OST's short length and wonky track order keep me from listening to it more regularly.

A nice score. The concert arrangement (found on many compilation albums) contains all of the necessary highlights though.

The suite is fabulous and has become a favourite of mine, but the score has some worthwhile bits that aren't in the suite.

Wild. Horses.

Wild. Horses.

Yep. And I also dig the alternate main title.

The Charles Gerhardt Star Wars Trilogy. I'm a great fan of his recorded performances, as Williams himself once claimed to be. I think I've made that pretty clear around these parts by now. What a legend.

batoninmouth.jpg

Ex Machina - Ben Salisbury & Geoff Barrow

Not a JWFan score. Floating atmospheres and pads with the occasional pulse. But it is neat! Easily stands outside of the film as a "mood" album.

But if by some miracle JWFan might like it, give it a spin for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNiRsNvI22w

Wild. Horses.

Yep. And I also dig the alternate main title.

What about Learning the Ropes?

Ex Machina - Ben Salisbury & Geoff Barrow

Not a JWFan score. Floating atmospheres and pads with the occasional pulse. But it is neat! Easily stands outside of the film as a "mood" album.

But if by some miracle JWFan might like it, give it a spin for yourself.

It's nothing I would listen to outside of the film but it's certainly effective. The damn thing nearly gave me a heart-attack while watching the movie!

AVENGERS - AGE OF ULTRON - Tyler, Elfman

I struggled myself through large parts of this release but it's so devoid of anything musically worthwile i just shut it off. Since both composers have shown - to different degrees, yes - that they are very much able to rise above this kind of muckracking, ii blame it on the hefty paycheck.

Legends of the Fall :music:

One of Horner's best. In its best moments, the score has melodramatic dramatic weight that few other film scores can top. That being said, the suspense music is pretty crummy.

48 Hrs. - This is one Horner score that doesn't sound like a Horner score, and can therefore be called one of his most unique and original works (I never noticed how he'd lifted the seven-note buildup to "Futile Escape" in Aliens from "The Alley" in this score, but 48 Hrs. came first, which means it's still original). However . . . that doesn't mean it makes for a very enjoyable listening experience. Mostly rhythmic, wandering chatter, without any thematic center and full of 80s-centric stylings and some rockin' blues songs to finish it off. If this is what original and unique Horner sounds like, then I'll be content to stick with his copycat ways.

There's a fantastic rendition of it on the Boston Pops "By Request" album

That and the Liberty Fanfare are what make that album a must have.

And the best rendition of the "Mission Theme" you'll find anywhere. By Request remains one of his best-ever compilation works.

Parts of Interstellar do have a Horner feel.

Hm, what parts? I hear it in his Langdon scores, probably because Howard liked certain little Hornerisms from their time together.

Yes. It's essentially the same score as Commando.

Haven't gotten to Commando yet, so that could correct my misunderstanding there.

Parts of Interstellar do have a Horner feel.

Hm, what parts? I hear it in his Langdon scores, probably because Howard liked certain little Hornerisms from their time together.

"Docking" was very much like "Docking" in Apollo 13 as well. Not sure whether that's because he was following Horner's excellent example, or if perhaps all NASA-style docking sequences are fated to sound like that.

I don't hear the docking similarities other than both being quietly tense. Nothing musically very similar. Horner's has much more in common with Holst's Neptune.

Dust, for example. Soun ds rather Apollo 13/Sneakers like to me

I'm not all that familiar with Sneakers. But yeah I can see the ethereal first half of that being **slightly** similar to some Apollo 13 moments. Like maybe the brief synth cue as Lovell looks out at the Earth shortly before re-entry.

AVENGERS - AGE OF ULTRON - Tyler, Elfman

I struggled myself through large parts of this release but it's so devoid of anything musically worthwile i just shut it off. Since both composers have shown - to different degrees, yes - that they are very much able to rise above this kind of muckracking, ii blame it on the hefty paycheck.

The 28-minute playlist of Elfman only material is actyally a pretty decent listen.

Karol

The 28-minute playlist of Elfman only material is actyally a pretty decent listen.

I tried but my ears just refused to find anything of note just gave up on it. I've yet to find a Marvel score that i care to listen through.

I tried but my ears just refused to find anything of note just gave up on it. I've yet to find a Marvel score that i care to listen through.

Oh OK, fair enough. :) I myself don't really care about the entire score (or how it's mis-used within the film) but it's interesting to hear Elfman going back to his more heroic roots that we didn't hear since... well... Batman. Nothing subtle about it. of course. But that's not the point here, nor it was ever to be.

Karol

Legend of the Falls is Horner's best score!

War Horse :music:

Just realized that the theme introduced in "Joey's New Friends" plays almost like a major key rendition of the war theme. I love the little touches like this that Williams puts in his scores.

Legend of the Falls is Horner's best score!

The Missing > Legend of the Falls

There's a whole lot of Horner I'd take over that one.