What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I know, I know. I just find the cost disgusting. They didn't even have to make the film, just convert it to 3D. Obvious revenue benefits aside, you can't justify those figures. It's symptomatic of the greed at the rotten heart of Hollywood.

What? They spend 18 million, but because of that the conversion is outstanding. Cameron NEVER....EVER does anything fast and cheap.

the conversion is the absolute finest conversion ever to this point.

I'm all for re-releasing the greats. I'm just massively turned off if ridiculously vulgar extravagances are part of what it takes to get it back up there. The profits involved are besides the point. I'm not going to pay a builder 500,000k to clean up the exterior wall of my house.

I know, I know. I just find the cost disgusting. They didn't even have to make the film, just convert it to 3D. Obvious revenue benefits aside, you can't justify those figures. It's symptomatic of the greed at the rotten heart of Hollywood.

What? They spend 18 million, but because of that the conversion is outstanding. Cameron NEVER....EVER does anything fast and cheap.

You have no concept about what I'm talking about. They paid 18mil for a 3D conversion on a movie. Eighteen. Million. Think about it.

Anyway, I'm bored with that now.

Just caught the last hour of Lawrence of Arabia, what an epic film. Not epic but EPIC.

When you hear people describe a film as epic I automatically think back to this movie and Ben Hur. These are epics.

Maurice Jarre's ticket to Heaven.

I'm all for re-releasing the greats. I'm just massively turned off if ridiculously vulgar extravagances are part of what it takes to get it back up there. The profits involved are besides the point. I'm not going to pay a builder 500,000k to clean up the exterior wall of my house.

You payed a small fortune for an overpriced gadget like an iPad, and an iPhone was not enough...nooooo sir needed a Samsung Galaxy.

Please don't lecture other people about vulgar extravagance

when James Cameron is the government then you have a legitimate gripe, until then it's just a man spending money wisely to make more money.

clearly he had an audience as the film has a healthy viewership for a 15 year old movie.

Like I said, I'm not talking about the excellent revenue involved. Although I do think there's a strong degree of cynical business thinking in terms of Cameron's motivations - of course he realised there's a large tasteless audience out there who would lap up the sight of a real-life tragedy, re-enacted... in 3D. Don't forget to bring your glasses! Gasp as the dead baby floats past you so close you could almost touch it!

What we need next is Schindler's List 3D.

No, and don't be an idiot here, you know exactly what we're talking about. I'd give Night of the Hunter 4 out of 4 stars. It's worthy but it has moments that are not as good as other. At least the children's acting was superior to the overrated film To Kill A Mockingbird which gets alot of perfect scores but it features some truly horrific child acting, some of the worst ever in a big film.

I'm not denying that there's not a perfect film out there, just trying to clarify Steef's rating. I just find it odd to say something isn't perfect but to give it a perfect rating.

I need to post less, should have stayed away longer.

No, and don't be an idiot here, you know exactly what we're talking about. I'd give Night of the Hunter 4 out of 4 stars. It's worthy but it has moments that are not as good as other. At least the children's acting was superior to the overrated film To Kill A Mockingbird which gets alot of perfect scores but it features some truly horrific child acting, some of the worst ever in a big film.

I'm not denying that there's not a perfect film out there, just trying to clarify Steef's rating. I just find it odd to say something isn't perfect but to give it a perfect rating.

no you should post more, you're a much better poster than you used to be and this place is better with you than without you. And when the zombie apocalypse arrives you can shove indy4 into the path of a zombies, and then one of us can shove you.

why?

the thing I find hilarious is that so many people talk about the screenplay. Basically it's their only argument, and it's not even theirs. They don't have their own thoughts, they're just talking heads running their mouths with someone elses statement and one that is often poorly backed up.

It might have something to do with what you just say. Or maybe I'm afraid to see it now, being a bit older.

TBH I don't even remember the film that well. One thing that stuck in my head is the iceberg sequence. From what I remember it was very well done and Horner's clanging percussion was a big part of that.

Karol

People are fascinated with Titanic the ship, not Titanic the movie. That's why the film remains successful. Of course, it is a very good movie nonetheless.

I'm fascinated with both. The movie certainly inspired me to learn about the reality of the thing. But I still love Cameron's take, which plays up the myths of the ship.

why?

the thing I find hilarious is that so many people talk about the screenplay. Basically it's their only argument, and it's not even theirs. They don't have their own thoughts, they're just talking heads running their mouths with someone elses statement and one that is often poorly backed up.

Cameron's script get the job done and it is rich with conviction. That is why it works. Yes it's cheesy at times and yes it's simplistic, but those things are its strength - the dialogue is true to the spirit of the deeply romantic and honest story.

You just get dickheads who want The Wire on a boat. Just so they can smile at their own reflection in the washroom after the movie.

Cameron's script get the job done and it is rich with conviction. That is why it works. Yes it's cheesy and yes it's simplistic, but those things are its strength - the dialogue is true to the spirit of the deeply romantic story.

You just get dickheads who want The Wire on a boat.

There was a boat in the second season of The Wire, you know. ;)

large_ep14_mcnulty_on_boat.jpg

Karol

One thing that stuck in my head is the iceberg sequence. From what I remember it was very well done and Horner's clanging percussion was a big part of that.

Karol

The scenes after are even better. With an almost Hitchcock like suspense. We know the ship is doomed, they don't...

I rewatched Titanic a few months ago, and I was struck by I've always thought was one of Cameron's great strengths; the movie is incredibly well paced. It's totally engrossing, in spite of the vulgar script

Lol at Merkel call the script vulgar without an ounce of reasoning behind his comment.

in other words be specific.

Please stay. I think the discrepency is just a limitation of a 4 star scale. If he was rating from 1 to 10, he probably would have given it a 9

well Alex, Publicist and Prometheus are probably sleeping.

I was, but TITANIC isn't anywhere on my anger-list. I'm not the biggest fan of Horner's tin whistles and fake choirs but you have to take the good with the bad.

a 15 year old movie made nearly as much as John Carter did

I want to see this movie just because of the distruption it caused with Disney Studio management.

benjamin-button.jpg

The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button:

Two things that struck me during the film:

1) It felt like a Spielberg film. After the movie, the names of the producers Frank Marchall and Kathleen Kennedy appear on the screen.

2) I liked the score and I wondered who the composer was. After the movie, the name of Alexander Desplat appeared on the screen. It's the third time that this is happening to me. I notice the music, I like it, and each time it turns out to be Desplat. It happened with The Ghost Writer (I thought it was the best thing about the film) and it happened again with The King's Speech. Desplat's melodies often reminds me of John Williams. My favorite film/score moment is when old man and young girl are playing under the table.

The film itself is 'meh'. I mean, it's good but just not good enough. It's a variation on Forrest Gump.

Alex

It is such an empty film.

I was, but TITANIC isn't anywhere on my anger-list. I'm not the biggest fan of Horner's tin whistles and fake choirs but you have to take the good with the bad.

The thing about Horner's music is not that's it's the best composition in the world (it obviously isn't), but you have to admit it's hard to separate the film and its score. While some strange choices have been made (synths, bagpipes), It's almost a perfect marriage.

Karol

It is such an empty film.

The thing about Horner's music is not that's it's the best composition in the world (it obviously isn't), but you have to admit it's hard to separate the film and its score. While some strange choices have been made (synths, bagpipes), It's almost a perfect marriage.

Karol

Celine Dion ruined the score for me, My Heart Will Go On blasting from everywhere around the time the film was in the cinemas. I know the score has much more than the love theme but as soon as I hear first strains of it I tend to want to stop listening. Shame really since e.g. the departure music is pretty inventive Enya styled uplifting stuff.

Did Bryan Adams ruin Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves for you as well? ;)

Karol

A bit if I tell you the truth.

No. That song (and melody) is still perfectly good and not cringy.

I generally do not like Kamen's injections of those Bryan Adams songs into his scores like in Robin Hood, Don Juan DeMarco and Three Musketeers. Robin Hood is the least offensive of those though.

Didn't the score get written alongside Kamen' song (as sang by Adams)?

Indeed they were a collaboration between Kamen and Adams. I guess it is the subconscious music snob in me that thinks those songs cheapen the score since, to coin a phrase from Datameister, they rub me the wrong way. :P

Did you know that these two songs are some of the biggest pop singles ever?

That explains hate.

Karol

Yes I knew it and so it makes sense why my inner music snob shuns them. Crass commercial success. Who needs it? Only boors that try to appeal to the masses enjoy such when true artistes toil and suffer in anonimity and penury.

To be fair to Kamen, Adams is NOT Celine Dion. She's the veritable queen of cheesy music, so it's little wonder a great many can't stand My Heart Will Go On, justifiably so. I appreciate Horner's strong composition and the song does remain a guilty pleasure for me, but I wouldn't take issue with anyone who told me they hate it.

It certainly couldn't have been put to a better suited movie, that's for sure.

Anyway, I watched Red State. Started out as a really good grindhouse movie, the setup was perfect, but unfortunately it spent up early on on its genuinely gripping surprises and before long turned into just another shootout movie. Still, the first 45 mins are very impressive, coming from Kevin Smith. I'd like to see him dabble more outside of his comfort zone if this is what he's capable of. Nice to see John Goodman, too. 3/5.

It's a great belter of a song!

Some people take things way to seriously

Within the context of the film, I'm sure it's meant to be extremely seriously. At least, it's what I think most fans of the film and the music are taking it. I knew by hearing the song that the film was for a very broad audience and not for me.