I dare everyone here: make a concert arrangement of the Tintin Theme!

Homeboy

Thanks guys for the positieve reactions..!

Maybe I'll give it another shot in a few days. I was actually aiming for a more heroic arrangement, but instead I opted for a somewhat jazzy approach. I still want that 'Raiders March'-feel for a Tintin's Theme arrangement, so I hope to start working on it soon.

But of course, I'm so much more interested in what a better composer comes up with (really hope some of you guys have begun composing as well..!)

Your arrangement was great. And I really like the idea, I think I might give it a shot too. Just as soon as I get the time :D

- KK

Thanks..! Looking foreward to what you'll come up with..! :joy:

• 1 month later...

no one else?

Ok, so i´m posting an Arrangement of the tintin theme i made. in fact it´s a medley arrangement with a few themes.

I´m an amateuer, it isn´t that good but i´m hoping to rouse you to make an arrangement too.

sorry for the bad quality, it´s a sibelius output and the upload on soundcloud worsened it.

here it comes

http://soundcloud.com/christianhoffman/tintin-concertmedley

I completely forgot about this! I'll get back to it as soon as I get the chance! And Skystalker, your medley is a pretty good compilation of Williams thematic ideas. I'd like you to see you crack at a big classic concert arrangement of Tintin's theme if you ever get the chance though ;)

• 1 year later...

It took me almost two years to get this out of my head an into my computer, but I've finally managed to assemble a little concert arrangement based on Tintin's theme:

http://soundcloud.com/chrisafonso/tintins-theme-arrangement

It mostly consists of Williams' original theme and secondary "sneaking" theme, which I extended a bit. And to make King Mark happy, I applied a bit of a Raiders March feel to the beginning.

It's relatively short, unlike the more fleshed out suites Homeboy and especially Skystalker already created, but I hope it's enjoyable nonetheless :)

Wow..! :)

Fantastic Chris, i would love to hear that recorded with a real orchestra. By the way, what are you doing in Graz? I thought i was the only Styrian JWfan on the board ;)

What strikes me about Tintin's theme is that Williams is the only composer alive capable of composing such a great theme. It's amazing he can come up with these things at 80 years old. With a proper concert arrangement it would be instantly iconic like Raider's March

Just seen this now, and I beg to differ.

I honestly don't remember Tintin's theme.

Thank you Chris for that fine interpretation and exploration of the theme. Great work. I only wish it was longer. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the nice comments :) Yes, it's very short, it somehow sounded longer in my head :P

I hope Williams (or whoever will score the next film) expands a bit upon the theme and won't leave it by the wayside...

Fantastic Chris, i would love to hear that recorded with a real orchestra. By the way, what are you doing in Graz? I thought i was the only Styrian JWfan on the board ;)

I moved here last year, so for a long while, I guess you were ;) And since I'm a Piefke, I don't really know how much of a Styrian JWFan I can call myself ;)

Great job on that little arrangement! :)

Another thing that could be done is an edit of the best statements of Tintin's Theme and make a sort of mock-suite from there. Like someone did with The Russians Theme from KOTCS.

And that could be used as a base for the composers to extend the arrangement.

Woah someone did that? I'd love to listen to it. I love the Russians/Dovchenko's them.

Yeah, I believe Richard Penna did it a while back but I've seen to have lost it in my old computer. I have it on my Ipod but the main button doesn't work anymore and therefore the whole system is impossible to turn on or off, or even connect to the PC.

Richard, do you still have it? It was quite great, I love the theme, specially the jazzy variation during the complete Jungle Chase.

Hate to bring some negativity into this positive thread but as much as I like the overall Tintin score I think the main theme is pretty bland when you compare it to Star Wars, Raiders... I think it does describe the movie well but the fact that it's so short I think it's closer to a motif than a theme. When the Tintin soundtrack came out I found myself listening to it a lot but.... just like Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull score I find myself gravitating back to the pre-2006 JW (with the exception of War Horse and Lincoln). I don't know what it is but although scores like Last Crusade are old they seem more natural than KOTS which seems more forced .... like Williams was writing it on a scene by scene basis, inserting the theme in places.... my $0.02c.