JW's Oscar prospects

indy4

JW's Lincoln Oscar prospects  

59 members have voted

1. 1. JW's Lincoln Oscar prospects

• He will be nominated for Lincoln, but won't win.
    • He will win for Lincoln.
    • He won't be nominated for Lincoln.

well John Wayne's best actor win was essentially that, a Lincoln win would suffice as such.

wouldn't it be a hoot for John to win and get up there hold the statue out and scream at the top of his lungs, EAT THIS HOWARD SHORE!

Meh. Same reaction as to the Baftas - an uninspiring list. Every one of them is riding on the film's success IMO.

And where the hell is Brave? By a mile, my favourite score of the year.

But, I'd agree that JW has his best chance in a long time.

Last year would have been the best time to give him a Lifetime Achievement award, what with him turning 80.

I really want to hear the aunnouncer say as he walks up to the stage, "This is JW's 6th win and 48th nomination." That would just be so awesome.

Who are the film composers that have reached in their 80's and yet are still working strong?

Morricone is one.

Elmer Bernstein was one as well.

I really want to hear the aunnouncer say as he walks up to the stage, "This is JW's 6th win and 48th nomination." That would just be so awesome.

Ditto that to the tenth power. . . ! (If it happens, this quote is going straight into my signature. Probably to stay.)

And then, from the other side of dignity, we're offered this refreshing perspective:

wouldn't it be a hoot for John to win and get up there hold the statue out and scream at the top of his lungs, EAT THIS HOWARD SHORE!

Yes. You bet, Joey. To see the most humble and genteel man in the business to suddenly and inexplicably alter his personality and embarrass himself and the Academy in front of the world, just so you could feel a little justification for your Rings-hating outlook . . . that would just be a hoot. (Perhaps you'd like him to pick his nose and eat it while he's up there, too?)

- Uni

Now that Mychael Danna won the Golden Globe, I am afraid that it is either Desplat or Danna, who will win the Oscar this year.

Now that Mychael Danna won the Golden Globe, I am afraid that it is either Desplat or Danna, who will win the Oscar this year.

Yeah, I got my hopes up. Again.

Williams won't win. Sigh. :(

Yes. You bet, Joey. To see the most humble and genteel man in the business to suddenly and inexplicably alter his personality and embarrass himself and the Academy in front of the world, just so you could feel a little justification for your Rings-hating outlook . . . that would just be a hoot. (Perhaps you'd like him to pick his nose and eat it while he's up there, too?)

- Uni

:thumbup:

I haven't even seen Life of Pi yet, and I know that it will win for best score. It's just got that "brand new ideas" BS written all over it. Social Network was the same way, though I imagine Life of Pi is a better contender. However, it is so unfortunate that oftentimes the film with the better cinematography tends to get the nod for best score. When the Artist won last year, it was quite obvious that it would, but in my opinion, this was merely because the music actually had a real chance to project itself in the film. No one seemed to care that the best part was note-for-note lifted from Vertigo...... :rolleyes:

I really hope Johnny wins, but we've been through this before.... :sarcasm:

The Social Network was a thief in the night. It should never have even been nominated. How to Train Your Dragon should have run away with it that year.

The Social Network was a thief in the night. It should never have even been nominated. How to Train Your Dragon should have run away with it that year.

A thief in the night? Maybe Les Mis should have won best score. ;)

Hmm, these types of scores (like How to Train your Dragon) never win anymore, period.

I don't think Williams would ever win for another of his adventure scores

All the Best Score Oscars in recent years had somekind of gimmick sound that make you remember them for the wrong reasons. Even Giacchino only won because of the "granny music" style cue from the beginning of the film.

There's nothing gimmicky about the Lincoln score, which to most voters will sound like all of JW's other dramatic scores that lost.

How to Win the Oscar for Best Original Score:

1) A foreign name attached to score

2) Any composer whose branched out from a very different career path and is trying something new (like a rock artist given the chance to compose a score for a high profile Oscar bait film)

3) Are there any cool gimmicks or interesting features that makes the score sound different?

4) Has any component of the score really struck into mainstream consciousness?

5) Is the score composed by a big name composer and has he/she been neglected some awards attention lately?

6) Has the film been nominated for many categories only to miss out on the big wins? This is their pity trophy.

7) Is this film a likely candidate for a clean sweep this year? (a la RotK or Titanic)

If all else fails, they sometimes look to see if the conventional elements are done in a fashion that is incredibly memorable or unique (like a really impressionable love theme that sticks with the mainstream). But it's unlikely.

By those rules, Life of Pi will probably win. But JW's chances aren't too bad.

A thousand times yes. John Powell presented an unexpected and thrilling gem that year, and it got submarined. I suspect, however, that people—well, the Academy, at least—are beginning to believe that great scores just happen when it comes to animated films, in much the same way Oscar Madison in The Odd Couple thinks gravy just happens when you cook meat. It just seems like such a natural part of the colorful milieu that they can't imagine it took much effort or creativity to do it. They'll give them an occasional nom nod, but can't bring themselves to go the rest of the way and actually vote for one of them to win.

Just speculation, of course, but it would seem to fit their recent M.O.

- Uni

May I just say, that if I were on the Academy trying to judge who should win for best score, or in fact who should be nominated in the first place, I would definitely consult many of the regulars on this forum. Despite us all being rabid John Williams fans, the vast majority do know how to be objective in these types of matters. We do have quite the collective going here. I would trust you people over the Academy any day...

Then I think objectively, most of us can admit that Lincoln is by all rights a great score, but not necessarily the best of the 5 nominated. I was actually far more moved by Life of Pi's score, and found it very fresh with lots of interesting ideas and orchestration.

Lincoln's score is intentionally restrained in the film and lacks that breakout moment where the score takes centre stage. In Pi, it gets that chance regularly (notably the heartbreaking shipwreck cue).

And as much as I love Williams, it's nice to see unrecognised composers from the next generation getting some attention. JW's had a lifetime of accolades, even if he's been robbed of Oscars on countless occasions where he was far and away the most deserving for that year (obviously MOAG being the worst of recent times.)

Then I think objectively, most of us can admit that Lincoln is by all rights a great score, but not necessarily the best of the 5 nominated. I was actually far more moved by Life of Pi's score, and found it very fresh with lots of interesting ideas and orchestration.

Lincoln's score is intentionally restrained in the film and lacks that breakout moment where the score takes centre stage. In Pi, it gets that chance regularly (notably the heartbreaking shipwreck cue).

And as much as I love Williams, it's nice to see unrecognised composers from the next generation getting some attention. JW's had a lifetime of accolades, even if he's been robbed of Oscars on countless occasions where he was far and away the most deserving for that year (obviously MOAG being the worst of recent times.)

Come to think of it, Memoirs Of A Geisha was probably the biggest chance Williams had of winning an Oscar after Schindler's List.

It won the Golden Globe, a grammy, ... The music played an important part of the production and I truly felt Williams gave a lot to it.

They should give Williams the award for Lincoln just to make up for it. ;)

He lost the Oscar in '05 because the film itself was a critical failure, and his votes were split with Munich.

And the Academy decided to snub Brokeback for Best Picture, so gave it Best Score as a consolation prize. And like it or not, that damn guitar theme became a part of popular culture, even if the score itself wasn't worthy of a nomination. It should've been ineligible like Silvestri's Castaway; another memorable theme repeated ad nauseum with almost no variation in orchestration.

May I just say, that if I were on the Academy trying to judge who should win for best score, or in fact who should be nominated in the first place, I would definitely consult many of the regulars on this forum. Despite us all being rabid John Williams fans, the vast majority do know how to be objective in these types of matters. We do have quite the collective going here. I would trust you people over the Academy any day...

After reading this no fewer than four times . . . I still have no idea whether you're being sarcastic or serious. I'm pretty sure it's the latter, but you could just be playing it way subtle. (Maybe I'm just jaded. You spend time in this place, it happens. . . .)

- Uni

Haha, if you read enough of my posts, you'll learn very quickly that I'm not nearly that clever... I was being serious you beautifully wonderful film-score geeks!!

Haha, if you read enough of my posts, you'll learn very quickly that I'm not nearly that clever... I was being serious you beautifully wonderful film-score geeks!!

Whatdya mean, "you" film score geeks?

- Uni

I thought being a film music fan means being a geek automatically ...

I still think this whole notion of "giving young people a chance" is lame.

When I said it was absurd that out of all Bond scores, Skyfall got the nomination, people said it wasn't about the big picture, it was just about the year 2012. If we apply that same stern logic to this issue, it should mean that the award really is about quality and not some political agendas, like pushing young folks and ignoring veterans.

But we all know it's political.

Which means Williams has no chance.

Still; it could serve the Academy well to have John Williams - a living legend - win another Oscar. It would get people talking. Maybe they were just waiting for the right film. If it's all about politics as some suggest than I wouldn't want to completely rule out Williams winning.

Well it would make a nice live tribute. Everyone would probably stand up and give him a ovation

I think the host Seth McFarlane is a big Williams fan too.

Well it would make a nice live tribute. Everyone would probably stand up and give him a ovatio

Probably. I would love to see that.

• 3 weeks later...

After looking at the main page's list of awards/nominations for the Lincoln score, it doesn't really look like there's any clear favorite going into the Oscars (at least, not based on these awards). Life of Pi probably has a slight advantage for winning the GG, but for the rest here's the score:

Lincoln: 2

Life of Pi: 1

Cloud Atlas: 1

Skyfall: 1

The Master: 1

My recollection of last year (and I haven't checked this yet) is that The Artist won pretty much every film score award. So I maintain tha JW's chance is still better than any point since 1999, even if I'd give a slight edge to Life of Pi. (Of course this sample doesn't include awards that Lincoln wasn't nominated for, but I'm guessing there's not a whole lot of those.)

http://www.jwfan.com/?p=5337

I'm just glad that wretched Hobbit score wasn't nominated! Personally, I think in a weak film score year, Williams should just win by default. :)

I agree. Already 2 wins is more than enough for that franchise if you ask me.

Come to think of it, Memoirs Of A Geisha was probably the biggest chance Williams had of winning an Oscar after Schindler's List.

It won the Golden Globe, a grammy, ... The music played an important part of the production and I truly felt Williams gave a lot to it.

They should give Williams the award for Lincoln just to make up for it. ;)

The question is, if ESB didn't win,'if Raiders didn't win, if Hook didnt win, if HP:PS or HP:POA didn't win, if Memoirs didn't win...will Lincoln win?

My guess is that the Academy is very fickle, and they don't want to give the impression that someone can just win these awards all the time, even though they may deserve them. This is especially true in the Best Original Score category because there are so few composers scoring a large number of the mainstream films.