Star Trek Beyond (2016 Justin Lin) - The Big Bad Star Trek (X)III Thread

BLUMENKOHL

I hope Giacchino returns. Giacchino and Orci worked together on the first two films, as well as Alias and Mission: Impossible III, so they at least have some history together.

Plus, with Abrams still producing, I would think (and hope) that Giacchino would be the first choice.

Wow, I'd love a Horner score to a new ST movie actually.

Funny to think Spider-Man and Avatar are the only really big blockbustery scores he's done in the last ten years!

I heard that he was asked for VI or later and said he's beyond or above Star Trek now. Would be good to see him back personally. Maybe he'll bring the theme for II/III back.

Though I was one at the IMAX in 2009 watching XI and at the end missing the TMP/TNG theme kicking in as Enterprise warps off (a la FC, Insurrection, Nemesis). I'm probably the only one though who wished Horner did Star Trek IV. Being a trilogy of sorts it'd would've been nice continuity.

You're not alone, though. Some people at FSM were annoyed with Giacchino's track titles for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, but I still don't understand why it really matters.

Might have decent track titles for one thing.

Do the track titles affect the music?

No. Just me.

Worse than spoiler track titles?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wish Star Trek would go back to tv. They can keep making these mediocre films with declining returns if they want. But it works best on Tv.

Wish Star Trek would go back to tv. They can keep making these mediocre films with declining returns if they want. But it works best on Tv.

I think it's inevitable that eventually there will be another TV show.

I'd love to see a new series with a Game of Thrones kind of budget and 10-13 episodes a year format. Would be cool.

Karol

I think it's inevitable that eventually there will be another TV show.

Abrams actually wanted to produce a TV show, but CBS didn't want to.

According to The Wrap, Abrams and his Bad Robot banner had something larger in mind, but the split-up of Star Trek rights between Paramount and CBS (which has the ability to create new Star Trek TV shows) prevented that from happening.

Source: http://screenrant.com/jj-abrams-star-trek-tv-show-rights-star-wars-episode-7/

Eventually. It could be 10 years. Star Trek has maintained popularity for a reason. Also, the quote you selected indicates that it was a rights issue that couldn't be worked out, not that they didn't want it.

Roberto Orci Wants William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy in STAR TREK 3http://geektyrant.com/news/roberto-orci-wants-william-shatner-and-leonard-nimoy-in-star-trek-3

Leonard Nimoy, sure. But how does he plan on including Shatner? Shatner's Kirk is dead.

Roberto Orci Wants William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy in STAR TREK 3http://geektyrant.com/news/roberto-orci-wants-william-shatner-and-leonard-nimoy-in-star-trek-3

Leonard Nimoy, sure. But how does he plan on including Shatner? Shatner's Kirk is dead.
Shatner's Kirk is dead in the TNG era of the prime timeline, yes. While the Nimoy Spock in the mirror timeline is TNG age, the present of the timeline is the TOS era. Nimoy can't get back to the prime timeline, nor is he trying. That leaves the old Shatner Kirk in the mirror timeline plenty of life to somehow loop back into the past of that timeline and encounter Nimoy Spock. Otherwise we assume Nimoy Spock lives two lifetimes in order to catch up to Shatner Kirk, or we simply get a flashback story with Nimoy and Shatner playing the old age versions of the natural mirror universe Quinto and Pine.

Shatner's Kirk is dead in the TNG era of the prime timeline, yes. While the Nimoy Spock in the mirror timeline is TNG age, the present of the timeline is the TOS era. Nimoy can't get back to the prime timeline, nor is he trying. That leaves the old Shatner Kirk in the mirror timeline plenty of life to somehow loop back into the past of that timeline and encounter Nimoy Spock. Otherwise we assume Nimoy Spock lives two lifetimes in order to catch up to Shatner Kirk, or we simply get a flashback story with Nimoy and Shatner playing the old age versions of the natural mirror universe Quinto and Pine.

Well, those are possibilities. Or they could manipulate the Nexus plot point, or clone him. But I wouldn't be surprised if Shatner insisted that he play 'his' Kirk rather than a clone or an old Chris Pine Kirk.

Apparently after Generations came out in 1994 fans came up with 200-odd ways of Kirk surviving Veridian III. So as our old teacher Mr Spock is fond of saying, there are always possiblities. Quite what some of these 200 are is another matter.

Personally, I both like the idea of Shatner back as Kirk and yet, don't. Says something I somehow wished he had been in Enterprise as Emperor Tiberius rather than JJTrek.

I loved The Return cowritten by Shatner, which used Borg technology to reanimate Shatner, and reunited Spock and McCoy with him, but that would be unfilmable in the prime timeline, but not if the Nexus somehow duplicated Veridian III into the mirror universe.

I just read this interview with Kurtzman & Orci where they explain the original plan to bring Shatner into Star Trek 09....

http://geektyrant.com/news/2009/5/11/the-william-shatner-kirk-cameo-that-was-cut-from-the-script.html

It was a really bad idea!

I can't think of any good way to bring him into Star Trek 13.

That seems most likely. The Nexus is already timeless, it could be written to be universeless as well.

Slightly different topic, but I'd love to see them introducing either the Reliant or Excelsior to the timeline, if only to see how mucvh they would change them. There's some neat ideas for both done by fans.

Will the new movie still take place before Season 1 of the original series? I'd imagine so, since the cast is still way younger than their prime counterparts...

They could always take the Thomas Riker route and create a transporter accident that resulted in a second James T. Kirk trapped in stasis for all time, unknown to the "real" one who dies on Veridian III. One could argue that Thomas Riker went "bad" (ok, the Maquis cause is meant to be sympathetic, just not their methods) because there wasn't room for him in the real universe with William walking around. An aged copy of Shatner's Kirk would face the "clone" threat of his younger self, but he would have the old Spock duality to draw on for strength, and stay good.

Presumably it takes place during the 5 year mission.

Currently Chris Pine is 34. I think Shatner was 36 when season 1 of TOS aired. So the difference isnt huge.

Pine looks younger though.

The in-universe explanation can be that the 5 year mission under Kirk simply starts earlier. Since Pike was killed.

Will the new movie still take place before Season 1 of the original series? I'd imagine so, since the cast is still way younger than their prime counterparts...

Given they started their five-year mission at the end of Into Darkness, it will probably be set before time line-wise but is largely the same events shown in TOS. So the answer is both yes and no. Remember, the Enterprise was launched years later than the TOS Enterprise but Kirk becomes Captain of it sooner than he did in the original time line.

No, the Enterprise was launched way sooner than the prime timeline.

TOS Enterprise launched 2245, while the alternate one launched 2258. TOS' 5 year mission was in 2265 while the alternate was 2259.

No, the Enterprise was launched way sooner than the prime timeline.

TOS Enterprise launched 2245, while the alternate one launched 2258.

That is correct.

I believe the first captain of the original Enterprise was Captain Robert April, then Pike, then Kirk

I don't want JJ or Orci nvolved with a new series. They are all wrong.

They have no idea what Star Trek is.

Care to back that up? Because I can count on two fingers how many films tried to 'boldly go', and I don't need fingers to tell you which of those two got good reception. I'd need all my fingers and thumbs to tell you how many ditched that premise and went for conflict-driven stories, with varying critical success. The mowt successful being Wrath of Khan and the least being Nemesis.

How 'bout you back up your claim first? First Contact, Insurrection, Nemesis, 2009 and Into Darkness share the theme of vengeance and the formula, if you can truly call it that, of mindless action. III, IV, V and VI never rip off Khan at all.

Orci and Kurtzman are neither the first, nor the only writers to perpetuate the same stale tropes in Star Trek movies, but they are the most recent and unlike past writers, they pretended they'd come up with something fresh. Don't tell me they don't deserve the blame they get. Abrams was just the sellout in the captain's chair.