The Force Awakens SCORE Discussion (Film Spoilers Allowed)

Thor

How did people feel regarding (MAJOR SPOILER!)

the music for Han's death? I thought it was quite underwhelming, for what is supposed to be a big moment in the saga.

Personally, I would have preferred a tragic version of Han Solo and the Princess or Leia's theme because we quickly cut back to her.

I think Johnny was exercising restaint here as well as in the Starkiller scene by letting the drama carry itself and he just gave it a small push underneath.

I think the end credits employ the concert version of the March of the Resistance as I seem to remember that the passage in question felt longer in the end credits than on the album.

Yea I mentioned that earlier

So in the final track, the End Credits start at 2:12, meaning the actual end credits part of the track is 6:39.

That interview with JJ said the end credits were 8 minutes long, so the OST could feature a cut-down version of the full piece.

Yea I mentioned that earlier

So in the final track, the End Credits start at 2:12, meaning the actual end credits part of the track is 6:39.

That interview with JJ said the end credits were 8 minutes long, so the OST could feature a cut-down version of the full piece.

Either that or the march just edited in.

If the End Credits cue is a sequence of several individual suites, that would explain why Dudamel is listed as the conductor for March of the Resistance whilst reports only mentioned him conducting the Main Title and End Credits cues.

Darn ninj'd Jason!

Croc posted the picture of the track list in another thread and it says that Dudamel was conductor for four pieces in all on the OST, Main Title, Starkiller, March of the Resistance and Finale.

12359929_10205677603402621_1205176959074

The score is a grower. I couldn't remember how any of the themes went for the life of me after the first time I heard the CD.

The score is a grower. I couldn't remember how any of the themes went for the life of me after the first time I heard the CD.

I think they are in usual Williams manner very narratively clear despite the fact the central Rey's theme might be difficult to grasp initially as it is comprised of three different parts. The concert arrangement on the album gives it clarity though.

I think Rey's theme was the only clear melody at first. Though it might initially be confusing to grasp because it has so many components to it. That, and maybe Finn's theme.

I saw the film today as well. Excellent film as long as you realize it's virtually a remake or adaptation rather than a sequel, and it's just a tad too long.

I must admit I was a little bit underwhelmed, surprisingly, with the action music. Luckily that was remedied by Rey's Theme, which is quite fabulous, and to a lesser extent the Black Sunday theme. And after all there were a couple of signature set pieces, just not in the quantity that we're used to. It's unbelievable how Williams still keeps reinventing himself in a way. But most of the action music felt directionless in the film, a bit like the weaker parts of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - I guess he had more inspiration on Tintin in that regard. That said, I'm glad Williams moved on from that irritating ostinato-driven action style from the prequels ("Grievous and the Droids"). I'm sure it'll grow on me on the album. The end credits, for starters, were great.

I think they are in usual Williams manner very narratively clear despite the fact the central Rey's theme might be difficult to grasp initially as it is comprised of three different parts. The concert arrangement on the album gives it clarity though.

I like how there is a clear narrative to this theme. It's very delicate and fragile, trying to find its feet. Even the concert version is a bit... shy. But towards the end it becomes much stronger (the abduction scene epecially) and in the end credits it really hits home.

And it also becomes closer and closer to Force theme in tone.

I also understand why Kylo gets only a motif of sorts. He's not earned a full theme yet.

Karol

I haven't heard the score yet as it arrives on my doorstep tomorrow, but seeing the film a couple of times I remember some pretty ominous music over Luke's unveiling. Does anyone know if that was a particular theme or just standard uneasy scoring? Because it felt quite evil for a moment, and Luke really did give an evil look to Rey. Are they foreshadowing his dark side nature for Ep 8 or just trying to make us think he might be a bit wacko from being alone.

I got the feeling that was just a more interesting and dramatic way to score that scene rather than some hint. It's not at all "final." The future is a bit ominous, not necessarily Luke.

The human adventure is just beginning....

I think that scene was scored very well. It was scored from Ridley's point of view... she had just gone on a long journey and lost her father figure and her only friend / love interest. She had no idea what to expect at all when she got to the top of that mountain, or what Luke would do with the lightsaber she's holding out, so the music fit. IMO.

The film was scored well enough and it's mixed well. But doesn't change where the score's faults lie, does it? It all kind of blends together, to be honest.

The finale was scored well. If Williams scores the next film, maybe that flute melody could be some kind of "training" theme?

The finale was scored well. If Williams scores the next film, maybe that flute melody could be some kind of "training" theme?

That's exactly what I think it is.

It's a truly gorgeous melody, and orchestration of said melody, I love it.

I can definitely hear that as well. But doesn't the Force theme already basically serve that same purpose?

I love how that theme emerges out of nearly nothing that's come before, yet totally realized and fully-formed. It feels like the start of a whole new movie, as if it could be appearing over opening titles.

Although, the placement of that whole scene does feel rather un-Star Wars like—like a post-credits stinger shoved before the credits since Star Wars could never have a stinger.

As effective as it is at whetting my appetite for Ep 8, I kinda wish it would have ended with a huuuuge rendition of

Rey's theme as she flies off in the Falcon in search of Luke while Leia looks on, echoing the end of ESB and Han and the Princess. I can just hear the last part of Rey's theme swelling into the credits fanfare…

I am completely satisfied with Rey's theme and the Resistance theme. I picked up on Kylo Ren's theme almost right away but it was a bit elusive. Wasn't immediately sure what I was hearing was his music until I heard it repeat later on.

Liked the three uses of Han and Leia, so glad it got used. The Force theme became a major....uh, force in the score in the second half.

That's exactly what I think it is.

It's a truly gorgeous melody, and orchestration of said melody, I love it.

Is the one which we previously thought was Rey's Theme?

Or none at all, in the situation that Williams does not return!

Which would be unfortunate as I would love to hear him build upon the music and themes he composed for this film.

Training, I don't know. I reckon there's something a lot more weighty and "ancient" behind that tune....

It might be a new Luke's theme.

Karol

It is theme for the Jedi Steps man! Obviously!

I saw the movie tonight and the score obviously makes more sense in context. I love the opening of the film and all the music that plays there. Funnily enough, the movie confirms the impression I had just listening to the music which is that the action scenes, while entertaining, are unremarkable and indistinct. The strength of the film is not it's action scenes and the strength of the score is not it's action cues. The only other issue I had with the score was that it quoted the force theme a few too many times and that some of the musical flourishes towards the end of the battle didn't quite fit the scenes.

Overall, I definitely enjoy the score more now, especially Rey's theme and all the music for Kylo Ren and the First Order. The simple menacing motif works really well on horns. Rey's theme really conveys the growth, adventure, and heroism of Rey throughout the movie. I hope JW continues with Ep 8. I'm still convinced that only he can do Star Wars right.

Which scenes correspond with On the inside, torn apart, and the ways of the force?

Hard to say that without spoilers, so, if you have seen the film:

On the Inside = not sure. Maybe the music for when Han, Rey and Finn are planting the bombs in the Death Star 3's core.

Torn Apart = Han's death (Kylo says something like "I'm feeling torn apart" in that scene)

The Ways Of The Force = the final showdown between Rey and Ren.

That's what I thought, was just difficult to focus on the music and the film on first view. Seemed like there should be a lot more unreleased music to the Ways of the Force scene? I just couldn't tell how the edits were done

The music was great, but there were some moments that were awkward. I don't blame Williams, but Abrams' poor direction and editing. A prime example is the last scene. Except for the awkward transition into the end credits (just like in Revenge of the Sith!), the music is glorious. In the film, however,

the scene is Luke in Highlander just standing there awkwardly while Rey holds the lightsaber out awkwardly for what seemed like 5 minutes...it was silly