Star Wars Episode 8 poll (TFA Spoilers)

Jay

Who do you want Rey's parents to be?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want Rey's parents to be?

• I want Luke to be her dad!
    • I want Han & Leia to be her parents!
    • I want Leia to be her mom, but from a different dad than Han!
    • I want her to be the offspring of a different existing character!
    • I want her parents to be new characters we have not met yet!
    • I want her parentage to never be explained!

As much as I understand the need to extend the Skywalker clan saga, it's already happening of Ben/Kylo. That's a big enough story. I think another reveal like that would just cheapen the story (as it happened with Luke and Leia in Jedi, for instance). I want a character that makes their own decision and can grow, without too much of a destiny burden. Rey is strong enough of a character to develop without the needless backstory. I like the idea that we don't know who she was, and we can fill in gaps in our minds. And I also think that the lack of identity might be a strong enough drive for her to start caring about other characters. It would have been pretty disappointing if the only people ever influencing the galaxy, and in a negative way, were Skywalkers. Why are they even allowed to breed is beyond me.

She could be related to someone we've met. I can live with that. But enough of that soap opera already. Just tell a story of a protagonist that needs to find her way in a grand galaxy without a help of genes.

And I also want the galaxy far far way to be vast, and not the size of a local neighbourhood.

Karol

Luke to be the daddy is what I got from the film, so that's what makes sense to me right now. I could understand her having other parents as long as Luke is intimately involved with her early upbringing/the death of her real parents or something along those lines.

I'm more in line with Quint in that I think it needs to be explained in some fashion, but that those characters need not feature in the film at all. It's a crucial part of her character, after all she's been living in poverty on a shitty planet her whole life because she thinks they're coming back.

The key to how I see all of this lies in this exchange between Maz and Rey:

Maz Kanata: Dear child, I see your eyes; you already know the truth. Whomever you're waiting for on Jakku, they're never coming back. But there's someone who still could.

Rey: ...Luke.

Maz Kanata: The belonging you seek is not behind you, it is ahead.

For me, it is more powerful when a character needs to learn something and grow, out of their own will. Backstory and plotty explanations always come off weak. In The Empire Strikes Back, Vader's revelation made sense, because we already had a very different picture of this character our heads, and Obi-Wan was the father figure to Luke. And it also tied it nicely to Yoda's warning. It fulfilled several things. I don't see how it could enrich Rey's story, now that we know three generations of the Skywalker family. And, quite frankly, they are all bastards.

Besides, what is a point of having twists like that when we all see them coming? I thought they were wise in handling Kylo Ren's backstory the way they did.

Karol

Perhaps Luke could have known her parents? Perhaps she was one of the children Luke started to train or was going to train. He could sense that she was very strong with the force, much like Ben, and after he went to the dark side Luke sent Rey away fearing she might be tempted as well.

I guess that wouldn't really explain why her parents are no longer with her so maybe scrap that. Darn, thought I was onto something. I do like the idea that Luke has knew her but isn't related to her, though. Also, apologies if this notion has already been brought up. 

Initially I felt that maybe she was Han and Leia's daughter but then swayed to Luke's. Makes sense she'd be abandoned on Tatooine-Mark II if she's Luke's concerning the Force. Just the way it feels it'll go concerning the next two films.

Something about her family that needs explaining, if as above, not in any great detail. I wonder if any of these new Star Wars book will look into it.

I want her to be a no one as I've said before, but I think an interesting idea would be that considering Kylo Ren was born from heroes and chose the dark side, what if Rey was born was villains and chose the light side? 

Born from the villlains?

The villain in the OT was the hero's dad so it's the same family!

Unless you mean Palpatine, but he died 30 years ago and she's in her 20s!

I'd prefer Rey not to be the daughter of someone we already know. The heritage of those characters doesn't have to be that literal. Like Kylo's line going "you feel he's the father you never had" and that kind of stuff. Besides it would make the universe feel even smaller.

Anyone want to comment on one of Rey's first lines in TFA?

"Classified? Me too, big secret."

That's really the only line in the film that actually hints that she might know something of her own background.

If she was hidden away on Jakuu because of her lineage or possible Force Sensitivity then it must be after Luke's attempt to train a new generation of Jedi failed and he went into seclusion.

This actually gives a hint as to how long it was that this happened. Since we see Rey being left at the desert world a child between I dunno 7 and 9?

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Anyone want to comment on one of Rey's first lines in TFA?

"Classified? Me too, big secret."

That's really the only line in the film that actually hints that she might know something of her own background.

I interpreted the line as her just being sarcastic. 

2 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

I interpreted the line as her just being sarcastic. 

Me too

15 hours ago, Jay said:

Born from the villlains?

The villain in the OT was the hero's dad so it's the same family!

Unless you mean Palpatine, but he died 30 years ago and she's in her 20s!

It doesn't necessarily have to be a known villain. Could be a new threat introduced in Ep 8 that has been looking for her etc or perhaps an existing evil that is just smaller than the obvious ones maybe. 

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

Me too

Me three, but that could be what they want us to believe.

I'd be disappointed if a scruffy looking space pirate with a spoiled brat for a son also had such a refined posh girl for the daughter, and neither the brat nor pirate recognized her. 

Unless Han, Leia, and Ben never knew about her or were under the impression she died at birth. Maybe Uncle Luke switched her at birth with Ben or said she was stillborn and whisked her away. 

That's just crap. 

4 hours ago, Woj said:

I'd be disappointed if a scruffy looking space pirate with a spoiled brat for a son also had such a refined posh girl for the daughter, and neither the brat nor pirate recognized her. 

Unless Han, Leia, and Ben never knew about her or were under the impression she died at birth. Maybe Uncle Luke switched her at birth with Ben or said she was stillborn and whisked her away. 

That's just crap. 

This sort of thing happens daily at 4:30pm on Channel 10.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Hey that could be the twist in Episode 8.  That Kylo Ren isn't actually Han&Leia's son.

In classic soap opera style...makes sense.

But really...

10 hours ago, Sharky said:

I'd prefer her parents to be nobodies. By making one of them a Skywalker turns the Star Wars universe into rural Arkansas.

This.

There's no precedent for reincarnation as shown in the movie franchise, nor any indication that such a cosmic soul reassignment would take factors like sand and planets and family abandonment into account. Next! 

7 hours ago, Woj said:

There's no precedent for reincarnation as shown in the movie franchise

Not too late to try!

The whole virgin birth thing was also unprecedented until TPM, but it happened. This one would be an appropriate way to shock and awe general audiences. While people are arguing over frivilous things like whether Rey's parents are either Luke or Han/Leia, which is so predictable it's boring, the franchise might be cooking up something like this that might not be as outlandish as it seems at first glance.

We've been through the whole family member vs family member twin/son/daughter-of schtick before in SW. It's time for the story to grow and expand into new and uncharted spiritual territory. And I think this reincarnation theory, if put into practice would really bring this nine-part saga full circle. Yet again, it's just a theory, but one I'm very intrigued by.

That is the first fan-theory that I can definitely get behind, for the reasons said and that I have thought myself (that revealing her as an original trilogy characters daughter is a bit meh...like we all expect it and it's obvious) and she can't be just a no one because they wouldn't do that. They clearly intend for a big origin for her. Being the Chosen One would definitely have me excited. It would be almost completely unseen by everyone, only people who make those fan videos and some of us who watch them. It would work as a huge shocking reveal.

Remember that she said specifically in the film that "you're afraid you will never be as strong as Darth Vader." And also that there were ideas to have Anakin's force ghost in the film, but they abandoned that idea, perhaps because Rey saw Anakin as a ghost in her vision and it may have been an obvious nod to what they were doing with her character. Who know, but I would enjoy that premise. It would certainly explain her abilities with the force, and her multitude of skills beyond a characters natural skill-set. Make it so disney.

Does anyone remember the exact moment in the film when Williams referenced the Imperial March, besides the obvious Vader Mask moment? Was the camera on Ren or Rey? 

I'm actually liking this theory. Like all others though we see what we want and if we think of the theory, we will inevitably see things and invent connections in our heads that aren't really there, but this one is the most original compared to the 'Is she Luke's daughter?' 'Is she Han and Leia's daughter?' 'Is she a no one?' Which all quite frankly would be boring and expected.

15 hours ago, Woj said:

There's no precedent for reincarnation as shown in the movie franchise, nor any indication that such a cosmic soul reassignment would take factors like sand and planets and family abandonment into account. Next! 

There was also no precedent for the lightsaber being a magical mystical object that calls to you and gives you visions.

Or that you could stop an energy blast with the force. Or read minds, or knock someone out with the force.

So, was that Vader/Anakin then putting his hand on R2 in the vision and not Luke? So she was seeing Vader's past, not Luke's.