Do you sometimes buy OST albums that consist only of popular songs?

Josh500

8 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Yes!

Back to the Future

Ghostbusters

Ghostbusters II

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II

Top Gun

Electric Dreams

Beverly Hills Cop

Batman

Batman Forever

Saturday Night Fever

Gremlins (half score)

Innerspace (half score)

Godzilla '98

Spice World

Men in Black is quite an entertaining album! Lots of great songs, and the Elfman score is pretty good too!

By the way, does anybody have the score album of MIB? That's rather hard to find.....

50 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

By the way, does anybody have the score album of MIB? That's rather hard to find.....

Oh yea, I've had it since the day it came out

I have the MIB score album.  Got it the same way I got a few others (Darkman, Night Breed, Wisdom - I think) - I put them on a "call-me" list at a local used CD score, and they let me know if anyone traded them in.

New copies are costly, but it's available used on Amazon for $2 plus shipping.  Not bad.

10 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I have the MIB score album.  Got it the same way I got a few others (Darkman, Night Breed, Wisdom - I think) - I put them on a "call-me" list at a local used CD score, and they let me know if anyone traded them in.

New copies are costly, but it's available used on Amazon for $2 plus shipping.  Not bad.

It says on wiki that the score album of MIB was never available in the UK, or generally in Europe. While that may have changed over the years, it explains why it's still so hard to get a hold of.

25 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I got it somewhere in the late nineties, before i had internet.

A shop I guess.

Gotta admit, I have never even seen the score album, ever. Weird.

I'll get it if I ever come across it, but like I said somewhere else, I'm not an avid Elfman fan or collector anyway. So it's not especially urgent.

Back to the Future and Good Will Hunting are the only two I can think of. The latter for the two flawless score selections.

Big Eyes was the first time I wanted the songs (Lana Del Rey) and had zero interest in the score.

40 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The Shrek films came along a little late for me to have any attachment whatsoever to any of them.

QFT

I even knew 30-year-olds at the time who were Shrek devotees but the first one didn't appeal to me enough to see the sequels. I did watch Puss In Boots when it was on tele but only because I like cats.

Sometimes, yes. At least back in the day, when you couldn't just download the "single" score track off of iTunes or something. You had to buy the whole album. Or other times, when the songs are originally composed for the movie, or has some kind of extra presence in the movie. Like THE BLUES BROTHERS. I'm sure I have quite a few "songtracks" in my collection if I started looking.

Don't know what it says about me, but several of the songs re-released alongside The Martian, Guardians of the Galaxy and the first Shrek get a lot of play around here....

On 9/28/2017 at 7:43 AM, Disco Stu said:

I always buy Tarantino and Wes Anderson’s soundtracks.  Anderson’s are usually a mix of the original score and the existing songs.  Until Hateful Eight, Tarantino’s were almost 100% songtracks.

In my opinion, these two are the best in the artform in this regard.  Crafting meaningful, eclectic selections of songs that really put you in the mindset of the films.

On 9/28/2017 at 10:40 AM, Disco Stu said:

I'm ashamed that I didn't bring Scorsese up before!  He's the trailblazer in the "director as DJ" mold that Tarantino and W. Anderson and so many others are copying.

I was gonna pop in with the Scorsese comment, but you beat me to it.  But now for another one you failed to mention... Woody Allen! For some reason, his taste in jazz is the only kind I can get behind. I love the soundtracks to his films and pick them up whenever I can. 

I also partake in albums from films by Martin Scorsese, Wes Anderson, Quentin Tarantino, Robert Rodriguez, Michael Mann, Zach Braff, and Steven Soderbergh.