Lorne Balfe: "The M:I theme is probably more recognisable than Star Wars."

Lorne Balfe: "The M:I theme is probably more recognisable than Star Wars."  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree?

4 hours ago, Drew said:

Everyone knows that Star Wars music is Star Wars. I feel like the general population would recognize the MI theme but not know what it’s called.

Agreed. I’ve played or hummed the M:I theme, and people know it, but they can’t always place it.

Neither can they with SW. It's just that young or middle aged males cannot imagine a world where billions of people do not share their media-saturated tastes. There are loads of banal pop songs that many, many more people will recognize because they mean something to them. 

The Mission: Impossible theme is absolutely more recognizable to the average joe walking around than the Star Wars theme is, no question

1 hour ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

I've never seen one single episode of Mission: Impossible or any of the movies.

Same, I'm not even sure exactly what they're about. Some sort of spy agent stuff.

It did a test at work with my co-workers. Five were older than 45 and two are millennials. I played Star Wars, Superman, The Pink Panther, MI, and Perry Mason theme. Everyone recognized the themes except the youngest millennial who scored zero. They actually failed on Mission Impossible because I actually played the theme from UFO instead.

I think that's a generational thing. It's pop-culture, one from late sixties, the other from late seventies.

But constantly resurfacing popculture. Star Wars was late 70s-early 80s, then resurfaced in the late 90s-early 2000, then again in the mid-to-late 2010s (right now). MI was 60s, then resurfaced in the 80s, then came in with a bang in the 90s again and still going with fading drawing power.

A minute ago on TV, a quiz candidate knew within half a second that the theme she has to guess was Twin Peaks (the famous bass sound surely helps). I wonder how long it would have taken her if the question was Mission Impossible ...

And in the same quiz, nobody knew which Jedi master trained Luke Skywalker, so they probably wouldn't know the theme of Star Wars either.

4 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Luke was trained by both Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda, so isn't that a trick question?

Only one of them is referred to as a Jedi Master in the OT.

Speaking strictly about the music, I actually think this is probably true. The 007 theme is probably also more well known.  

Jaws may be as well.