Unreleased Return of the King music in "Battle For Middle Earth II" video game

Quintus

I downloaded the demo of the Battle For Middle Earth 2 videogame and I went into the game directory and found a file called 'Music'. I opened the file with media player and forced it to attempt to play it and it worked! Its four and a half hours worth of various music from the trilogy, much of it unreleased and in perfect stereo.

I've just spent an hour slowly sliding the time bar along looking for a very particular piece which I (and many other fans) have been after for some time - The Ride Of The Rohirrim, or the Charge of the Rohirrim - the film edit. I found it. Yee Haa! Its has the brooding and pounding version of the "Nature" or "Hope"(?) theme that plays during Theodens speech and then it plays the full orchestra version of the Rohirrim theme as they charge. I LOVE this music and its been sorely missed from the ROTK ost thats been released for a while. I know this stuff will end up on special edition ost, but I can't wait that long, I've waited long enough! I got shivers down my spine when I found and played it. Tremendous it is.

Anyway, its not all good. The trouble is this: The file type is something called a "BIG" file. I want to extract that particular moment of music from the whole thing and have it as an mp3, but I know of no program that can do this. I need to be able to convert the whole thing from "BIG" into Mp3 so that I can edit all the other stuff out. Anyone got any ideas? I'd be happy to share the track with anyone who also likes this piece :D

I've just played it about 10 times over :P:eek: 8O

ADMIN NOTE:
Click
HERE to jump to a list the music that can be found in the game

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've since discovered how to do what I desired and I now have the finished version. Edited into place by me. The music wasn't originally in the correct order you see - after I converted it I had to sort it and merge it all together in the correct order with Nero Audio Editing suite. I think I've done a pretty darn good job for a novice, its quite seamless.

Download it here via YouSendIt.com :)

link removed

Tell me what you think :D

How did you extract the files from Music.BIG? I tried several BIG editors designed for previous EA Games, and they wouldn't work. Or did you record it manually? If the latter, what was your recording technique?

this link will be deleted, just to let you know.

Oh don't delete it mods. This is a highly sort after piece from ROTK and I'm sure people would like to have it in their collection. Its not like I posted any old piece of music :D

I'd just play it and record whatever is playing in real time.

Is this the choral fellowship theme when Aragorn charges the black gate(after he says "For Frodo")?.If so I want it too.

K.M.

How did you extract the files from Music.BIG? I tried several BIG editors designed for previous EA Games, and they wouldn't work. Or did you record it manually? If the latter, what was your recording technique?

I used Nero to convert it to mp3. I shockingly didn't realise Nero is capable. I selected "all files" and it worked suprisingly enough :D

this link will be deleted, just to let you know.

Oh don't delete it mods. This is a highly sort after piece from ROTK and I'm sure people would like to have it in their collection. Its not like I posted any old piece of music :D

No public distributing of copyrighted music. Use the PM system if you must.

I used Nero to convert it to mp3. I shockingly didn't realise Nero is capable. I selected "all files" and it worked suprisingly enough :D

The computer I'm on right now only has an old version of Nero Burning Rom (5.0), which failed to recognize the BIG file as a valid format. Which Nero app. did you use to convert the BIG to MP3? And which version #? Was it Nero Audio Editing Suite, or did you just use that to do the actual editing? More details would be helpful, either by PM or posted here.

Also, what is the exact size of your original Music.big file? Mine is 278 MB (291,522,481 bytes).

This piece of music sounds absolutely fantastic! I just love that Nature's theme and the transition to the Rohan theme! One of the best cues from ROTK.

Glad i'm not the only LOTR nut who's not gonna wait till they release the ROTK complete score. :D

No I am past the fast period in LOTR music. Bring it on I am willing to hear it all!

Thanks for the notice, I previously downloaded the demo... but then deleted it in order to force myself to do work. :cry: I am downloading it again right now.

Glad i'm not the only LOTR nut who's not gonna wait till they release the ROTK complete score. ;)

I've been getting every possible piece from RotK that I can :)

The release of RotK CR will be a godsend, believe me (I lost enough sleep over FotR) :wave:

It's an WMA file, not an MP3. :wave:

I'm downloading the demo now.

Care to tell me were to find this piece of music?

No it is an mp3 file.

To convert the big to an mp3 I just opened it up in windows media player and used file --> save media as ... and added a .mp3 to the end of the file name with the setting of save as type --> any file

I am getting 160 kps

4:02.56

278 mb

Is this what you guys are getting?

OK, apparently if you drag the BIG file into a decent Wav editor (I used GoldWave) it will decompress the music and you will wind up with one huge file that is 4:14:36 long (around 4hrs,15min). Of this, 1:10:58 (or around 71min) is original game music NOT by Howard Shore and NOT utilizing any of the films' thematic material. In short, of minimal interest. This leaves 3:03:38 of music from the films -- roughly 200 distinct cuts. Regarding this approximately 3hrs of music, here are my observations:

* There seems to be more unreleased music than previously-released music. This is just my initial impression.

* All music appears to be from the theatrical cuts. At least, I did not notice any music specific to the extended editions.

* The cues are relatively short, averaging between 30 seconds and 1 minute. Very often we get a chunk of a cue as it was recorded, giving us a clean ending where there would be a segue on the album or in the film.

I can't be very specific about exactly what unreleased cues are included. Certainly more of the Battle of Pelennor Fields, including lots of the elephant stuff. There are also goodly chunks from Cirith Ungol and the Paths of the Dead. I did not hear the arrival of the eagles, or the choral version of the Fellowship Theme -- but I haven't had the time for a truly comprehensive listen.

In conclusion, it's going to be a real mess figuring out where the brunt of this music goes and how much exactly is unreleased. I will make an effort, though, and report my findings here.

OK, apparently if you drag the BIG file into a decent Wav editor (I used GoldWave) it will decompress the music and you will wind up with one huge file that is 4:14:36 long (around 4hrs,15min). Of this, 1:10:58 (or around 71min) is original game music NOT by Howard Shore and NOT utilizing any of the films' thematic material. In short, of minimal interest. This leaves 3:03:38 of music from the films -- roughly 200 distinct cuts. Regarding this approximately 3hrs of music, here are my observations:

In conclusion, it's going to be a real mess figuring out where the brunt of this music goes and how much exactly is unreleased. I will make an effort, though, and report my findings here.

Hmm... I keep getting around 4:02:55/56. Hopefully we can get cue times to clear things up, but for ~200 cues somebody has some work to do :wave:. I'd help, but I don't really know the LotR music that well. I would appreciate any report on your findings, thanks.

I also second Stefancos :)

Hmm... I keep getting around 4:02:55/56.

Let's compare start and end music, then. My big wav file opens with scary music from Fellowship (we hear the Ringwraith Theme, then the Uruk-Hai ... I forget which cue this is), then comes "Flight To The Ford" with the extended unused ending. At the other end of the file there's a huge chunk of music not by Howard Shore, followed by two short bits that ARE by Shore -- a statement of the Uruk-Hai theme, then a brief quote of the Dark Tower Falls theme. How does that compare with yours? If they match up, but there is still a time discrepancy, it means either a missing chunk in the middle or screwed-up pitch.

BTW ... music discovered so far includes "Lighting The Beacons" film version and the surrounding cues, including the bit where Aragorn SEES the beacon. I hear what I think is the full film version of the end of "The Black Gate" from TTT. I haven't confirmed anything else, but I also think we have Legolas taking out the elephant, Sam appearing to confront Shelob, and Sam storming Cirith Ungol.

This piece of music sounds absolutely fantastic! I just love that Nature's theme and the transition to the Rohan theme! One of the best cues from  ROTK.

Glad you like it :) , but if you have downloaded the demo you will understand that the music in this sequence doesn't actually play out that way on demo. I had to edit the transition you speak of together myself, along with the rest. I've not done such a bad job have I? ;)

In all, I had to piece together 4 pieces of the jigsaw, using Nero and touching up slightly with windows movie maker, of all things. This is why the extention says its a wma - When I attempted to convert the finished work back to mp3 with Nero, I got a silly microsoft copywrite notice!

Anyway, I'm glad that this has sparked interest in you guys and it seems we may have more edits coming from people soon. Oh and yeah, I noticed that most of the last hour of music was original EA stuff. But I deleted all that shit :wave: But there is certainly as sizable amount of quality unreleased Shore stuff on there too, so go get it!

And one last thing, my PM box is slightly inundated with requests at the moment. I think the yousendit download limit may have expired. Can the people who managed to get it, upload and share it themselves? It only takes a minute or so to upload ;)

I've just been doing another indepth search through the track and I discovered that the complete recordings of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom are on there. They kick in at 2.46.35

Lapti Nek can also be found at 1.32.24

I've just been doing another indepth search through the track and I discovered that the complete recordings of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom are on there. They kick in at 2.46.35

I dont buy that ;)

And i already have lapti nek. Now if it was the film version... i may give it a try LOL

LOL

That Battle for Middle Earth 2 is an amazing game.

Edit: I'm trying the USA server now and it's working, 28% done with a couple of hours to go. I've definitely got the determination if this thing has some mumakil music and the film versions of the beacons ;)

BTW, I'll convert the file to 320 mp3 & upload it. PM me if you want it.

I also discovered last week, when going through the menus of the 2nd EE disc, that one of the chapter stops coincides exactly with the 'For frodo' cue, and that the first 4 or 5 seconds of this are there. Unfortunately, it dies just as the SFX in the actual movie get a little too overwhelming. I've done my own rip, but I don't think we're going to get a perfect version of this cue before the CR - unless I find it later in the game.

BTW, no PMs requesting files at this time, please. My internet is too slow -- I had to get the demo from a friend. But I will continue to report my findings here. I've broken the Shore cues into 201 tracks, and am working on figuring out what everything is.

oh,that(for Frodo),is the main cue I wanted really.

I rather like RotK a lot more than FotR and TTT,so i'll be keeping an eye on this thread too.That first unreleased cue was pretty good.Can it be converted back to MP3?

K.M.

I'm also trying to figure out what everything is.  It's rather overwhelming.

NP: The Pyre of Denethor  :angry:

Tell me about it! You have to slide the progress bar at less than a millimeter a time or you miss entire cues! Its painstaking, but worth it.

So is someone really gonna edit all this stuff together into the correct filmic order? Phew, thats gonna be torture ;)

As long as I can put the file into Cool Edit Pro, then navigating a tiny bit like that won't be a problem - nor will extracting specific parts.

And yep, if it's not too badly fragmented, I plan to extract as much as possible and put it into film order. What I won't be doing is splitting up the OST and putting everything exactly where it should go. That would take forever, and result in a lot of messy starts/endings as well as some 3 second cues ;)

I'l be happy with just getting as much out of this file as possible, and putting that into proper chrono order, and mixing it into my existing expanded set.