What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

That part of GOTG is fine, its the long CGI air battle that precedes it that Marvel needs to stop doing so much

She was pregnant during the filming of Age of Ultron and they had to use a stunt double for all her fighting scenes

Black Sunday. It's so restrained compared to the way over the top films of today. Violence that should kill someone does in a 70's film unlike a film from the 10's.

Williams score borrows heavily from previous score ala Horner & Goldtheft.

John & especially Jerry get a pass unlike James.

Still Black Sunday is quite entertaining.

Marta's performance is ruthless and tough and perhaps groundbreaking. It precedes the tough Sigourney and Hamilton performances which echo her portrayal.

James doesn't get a pass because he made a mockery out of the term 'heavy borrowing'. Williams and Goldsmith did their little steals in measured ways, Goldsmith more so later in his career due to the sheer output vs. old age, but honestly: a composer that constantly churned out innovative music in between 1959 and 1982 mustn't be mentioned in the same sentence as James Horner in that regard.

Jerry is the biggest thief of them all but sheer reverence blinds the choir here.

You keep on saying this and never could line up a convincing list of titles were that actually happened.

Which ones?

Goldsmith scores, naturally.

Which ones?

Jaws, Earthquake, Towering Inferno, the Cowboys. Maybe a bit of Missouri Breaks.

You keep on saying this and never could line up a convincing list of titles were that actually happened.

Which ones?

Goldsmith scores, naturally.

You are in error.

You find passages in Gremlins, Twilight Zone, Poltergeist, STTNG, and Alien that are completely interchangeable. Still great stuff. But he's as guilty as Horner.

QED.

QEF.

You find passages in Gremlins, Twilight Zone, Poltergeist, STTNG, and Alien that are completely interchangeable. Still great stuff. But he's as guilty as Horner.

No. It takes no musical scholar to figure out that you are comparing vaguely similar ideas that pop up in otherwise distinctly unique scores and equate them with wholesale lifts of main thematic material within very similar idioms over dozens and dozens of years. The POLTERGEIST example is easily the most blatant of Jerry's and his sliding trombone may be his very own danger motif (or the US MARSHALS thingie) but the comparison i still preposterous. And that has nothing to do with blind admiration, Horner's danger motif (just ONE example!) is the stuff messageboard lore is made of, with Goldsmith you shrug and say 'he stole a little here and there' but never did you dread to unpack the CD for what you eventually would find within.

Sorry but you are the one pig headed.

Any comments about Black Sunday or my thoughts of the film?

Network - this was the first time I'd seen Lumet's superb media satire. 'Reality' TV, news becoming increasingly 'sensationalised', networks slavishly serving corporate interests ... all here , predicted 30-40 years in advance.

I'm watching THE PATRIOT, although I felt I had to take a brake after Benjamin's incredibly violent redcoat massacre. What appealed most to me, so far, are the underscore and the cinematography. I can't say this film has had any incredibly stunning imagery up until now, but there were quite a few beautiful shots (e.g. some of the pastoral shots, the pan to the court building, etc.). I'm especially fond of the filmy look - makes you think about how polished and unnatural most contemporary feature films look. As for the underscore, I think Williams's americana theme is one of the most elegant he has written in his career, and it works wonderfully when accompanying the broad shots of the lush American countryside.

What bothers me, is the overly exaggerated dramaticism. Why did Samuel and Nathan have to accompany Benjamin during his raid on the British caravan? I simply can't understand that the character the audience has come to know as a convinced pacifist, a man dreadfully affected by his previous experiences in war, risks the lives of two of his sons in a raid he most likely won't succeed in - which he, of course, eventually does, by some miracle. The war gods seem to be directing quite some good will toward this Benjamin fellow.

Noah:

Sigh ...

160849_zps2ar0uzgk.jpg

... well, I appreciated that the pre-flood world looked somewhat different ... umm ... what else ... umm ... Damn! I can't shake those horrible Razzie-worthy performances of Emma Watson and Jennifer Connelly! How Darren Aronofsky will recover from this, I don't know. 3/10

Alex

Saw it on a flight and was rather amused by its dead-earnest leadenness. It's as if these filmmakers of late are paralysed by fear of the Almighty, or at the very least the wrath of his brethren. Give me DeMille any day!

Murder By Decree - not QUITE as 'juicy' a prospect as Holmes and Watson investigating the Jack The Ripper murders seemed on paper (and Mason was possibly a touch on the elderly side to be playing Watson), but Plummer made for a breezily assured Holmes and the reproduction of Victorian London's foggy, cramped streets had a pleasantly sinister atmosphere.

In Fear - effective little chiller in which a young couple (Iain De Caestecker and Alice Englert) get hopelessly lost en route to their music-festival accomodation in a remote part of Ireland (after, it gradually emerges, having pissed off locals during a pub stop-off) and they are subsequently terrorised by one of same.

eg-poster.jpg

THE EGYPTAN - Michael Curtiz

Darryl Zanuck's mammoth production of a successful novel might come off as corny and stilted in parts, but apart from the wonderful lavish sense of moviemaking at play (and a wonderful schlemihl turn by Peter Ustinov) i was also surprised by the rather intellectual approach to an ancient egypt story. Basically a 180-degree turn from the usual heroics-centered epics of bygone years, it earnestly deals with - of all subjects - monotheism, the impossibility of peace and content within the company of men, making a pondering doctor its unlikely 'hero'.

The score of course helps to sell it in immeasurable ways (the new releases all omit Hermann's wonderful Lotus pool soprano cue) and hammy Victor Mature brings some good-natured goofy panache to the proceedings. It's not a great movie by any means, but it stays with you.

I saw Snowpiercer last night. Wow, it wasn't perfect by any means, but I like its spirit and style. The script could perhaps have been a more sophisticated affair, but the panache of the director more than makes up for a couple of bad lines. I loved the themed sections of the train (Bioshock influences ahoy) and the strong sense of mystery and drive that aspect brought to this high concept but original, sometimes absurd and dark slice of indie sci-fi. I bet Terry Gilliam loved this movie. Tilda Swinton was excellent in a role straight out of Roald Dahl, I've never seen her better than she was here, frankly. The well handled narrative of social order and contained eco systems lingered as the cracking good end titles cue played, and I'd realised that unusually for this sort of thing, the reveal and finale had satisfied me, the closing shots in particular were surprisingly rather striking in their cognitive artistry and they aptly demonstrated that director Bong Joon-ho should be one to watch if there's any justice in Hollywood. 4/5

nQIfECk.jpg

EY7rqZr.jpg

CBuxlVo.jpg

I saw Snowpiercer last night. Wow, it wasn't perfect by any means, but I like its spirit and style. The script could perhaps have been a more sophisticated affair, but the panache of the director more than makes up for a couple of bad lines. I loved the themed sections of the train (Bioshock influences ahoy) and the strong sense of mystery and drive that aspect brought to this high concept but original, sometimes absurd and dark slice of indie sci-fi. I bet Terry Gilliam loved this movie. Tilda Swinton was excellent in a role straight out of Roald Dahl, I've never seen her better than she was here, frankly. The well handled narrative of social order and contained eco systems lingered as the cracking good end titles cue played, and I'd realised that unusually for this sort of thing, the reveal and finale had satisfied me, the closing shots in particular were surprisingly rather striking in their cognitive artistry and they aptly demonstrated that director Bong Joon-ho should be one to watch if there's any justice in Hollywood. 4/5

Awesome flick this one. :up:

The two Koreans that play father and daughter also were in Bong Joon-Ho's The Host, in the same roles.

I started to watch Dead Snow last night. I started to lose it when the nerd was busy wiping in the outhouse, and the girl who likes him chooses that place and moment to seduce him. In the cold stink. Right. Soon afterwards I decided it was bedtime.

The Avengers

In preparation of seeing the new one tomorrow night I gave the first one a spin.

Still my favorite of the Marvel films. Consistently engaging and funny because it piles up the superheroes and gets the tone just right.

Whedon's experience as an ensemble film maker comes in handy as every character of this large cast get's his due. He really nails both Bruce Banner (serious) and The Hulk (funny) and Loki becomes the most memorable Marvel baddie thus far.

The story isnt all that special and Whedon lacks the visual mastery of other directors, but the action and special effects are done well. And even though this film is shot in the wrong aspect ratio, it does look bright and colorful.

Brilliant roller-coaster ride.

Why the wrong aspect ratio? If that's the director's vision it can't be wrong. Besides I like having a big budget action film without black borders from time to time.