What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

3 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Can you really blame Shore on that regard? The poor man was writing themes left and right for AUJ and got half of them kicked out and most of them were quite excellent.

That is true. I very much like all the trilogy music anyway. Just really stating where my loyalties lie, if I am to pick my favourite. ;) It is the only of the three I listen to from start to finish on a regular basis.

Speaking of Shore, I am now listening to another favourite of mine - Dead Ringers. A brooding, yet really tender, score that just recently got an official release from Howe Records.

Karol

9 minutes ago, crocodile said:

And I also like this one. Hope Howe Records will re-release this as it's been long out of print:

Another reason why I prefer DOS over the other two is because it has the strongest thematic personality. The first score struggles a bit with that.

Karol

The old English folk song that opens this is achingly lovely.

DOS is easily the best assembled album of the three by far. No major highlights missing, every track feels like a contained piece with a unified musical idea with a beginning middle and end, and it flows well with good storytelling. The first and entries suffer from some weird editing, lack of a clowning spots and a severe case of herky jerky bouncing around in BOFA.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

DOS is easily the best assembled album of the three by far. No major highlights missing, every track feels like a contained piece with a unified musical idea with a beginning middle and end, and it flows well with good storytelling. The first and entries suffer from some weird editing, lack of a clowning spots and a severe case of herky jerky bouncing around in BOFA.

That is very much true. It just feels like a complete experience on album. I don't really need any expansion of this.

@Jay a little The Fly appetizer for you:

Karol

3 hours ago, Richard said:

Is this CD any good? I only ask because I have only heard one track; "Cantina Band", and I was not impressed.

As you can see, you get very different responses from different people. In my opinion, the Skywalker Symphony recording is excellent and in a firm second place after the Gerhardt version of the SW suite (due to its strange sequencing, I mostly only return to Gerhardt's ROTJ for some tracks that aren't on other re-recordings, and I still consider his ESB a failure). The Skywalker album's weak spot is Here They Come, which is okay-ish and well played, but pretty much lacks the excitement of either the OST or the Gerhardt versions.

3 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

I much prefer the Skywalker Symphony recordings of Here They Come and The Throne Room over the originals. Leia's theme is very good, too. Actually, only the main titles are uninspired (but still unique for the strings reprise). 

Strings reprise?

Spider-Man 1 and 2 - Danny Elfman

Whenever I listen to Williams' version of "Luke's First Crash", I find myself wishing I was listening to Gerhardt's version. That's how I know it's great.

:music: Sneakers - James Horner

Star Trek: Generations - Dennis McCarthy (2 CD Expanded Collector's Edition)

It feels too early for Christmas music, but what the hell.

Also, over the weekend -

Batman Begins - Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard (OST)

The Thin Red Line - Hans Zimmer (6 hour archival audio)

The Man With The Golden Gun - John Barry (OST)

ASMR recording of ETandElliot4Ever listening to ASMR binaural recordings of Disneyland - Prince (OST)

Generations - McCarthy.

I actually listened to this while I fell asleep, then woke up in the middle of the night trying to figure out/remember what in the world I was listening to.

43 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Interstellar

Star Trek Beyond

Star Trek Into Darkness

The Bourne Supremacy

One masterpiece, one solid score, one cool score, and one bland score!

37 minutes ago, TheWhiteRider said:

Momentary satisfaction!  The greatest gift of all. 

Interstellar - Masterpiece

Star Trek Beyond - Solid

Star Trek Into Darkness - Bland

The Bourne Supremacy - Cool

Koray, he gave the distinctions in the same order as the scores were listed.  There's no mystery.

It's got some great moments.  I remember hearing the end of Warp Core Values for the first time and thinking, "well shit."  But it holds my interest much less than the other two.  It was weird, since the first impression was that Giacchino had really gotten a better footing during his hiatus, and this was definitely a more confident work.  But I think as a result of the film itself, yeah, it has a bland characteristic.  Drab, dreary, I dunno.  Neither compel revists from me.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Either that or he posted that response in the wrong thread.  He is drinking after all.

I was responding to Koray, not The White Something, and I'm not drunk. His idiotic claim must be challenged in whatever thread.

Cinema Gala: Star Wars/Close Encounters - Zubin Mehta and the LA Philharmonic, 1977

Now: Batman (1989) complete score and Prince album

It's very liberating. You should think of it as therapy.