What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Blech.

Lol is this what I kept hearing muted praise about? Lame.

My only experience with Steven Price was the score to Gravity, which I hated in the film.

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I don't think it's that bad (the Suicide Squad track I mean).

It's painfully average. Djawadi has brought more style when the occasion called for it. Granted, I haven't heard the rest of the score.

Listening to that I feel terribly old and grumpy.

Just now, Jay said:

Listening to what, the Gravity score?

That cue from The Suicide Squad. I have never listened to the Gravity score if you can believe it.

Price went directly from low-level Zimmer team member to independent composer.  Obviously the intervening "Zimmer Apprentice" stage is very important.

26 minutes ago, KK said:

It's painfully average. Djawadi has brought more style when the occasion called for it. Granted, I haven't heard the rest of the score.

Sure, but there are some production qualities I kind of enjoy.  Nothing unique or exciting.  I'd be disappointed if I cared even a teeny bit about the crappy looking movie.

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

There's no music in space! ;)

You know, I went on Amazon the other day to see if the price of the "Diamond Luxe Edition" Blu Ray that contains the "Silent Space" audio track had come down at all, only to find that WB let it go OOP earlier this year and now it fetches >$60 on the secondary market.  F that!

Harald Kloser & Thomas Wander - Independence Day: Resurgeance

Wow.  I... didn't hate this - probably because I was expecting complete and utter shit, and it was not quite that.  It wasn't good, though.  But still, at least it was symphonic and with the occasional decent melody.  The redone versions of Arnold's themes in the final 3 tracks were laughably bad.

30 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It's not bad. But it's completely unremarkable. Especially compared to the first one.

And yes, the Arnold stuff in this actually sucks.

It's utterly forgettable and unremarkable.

8 hours ago, crocodile said:

I'm not sure how the third score fits into that pattern. But Powell said he became less ostinato-driven by the third score and that is why Greengrass ended up not using some of the material, Shame. The third album is on Youtube too (not that it's legal):

Karol

Yeah and Powell touched upon some of that relationship in the All Access interview my brother did. Greengrass mixes his music so low. On album, you'd think "Tangiers" would be blasting along with the SFX, but in the film you can barely hear it. Powell said he gave up that early drive to fight the system and just accept it and do whatever the director wants.

The Living Daylights - John Barry

The original 12-track OST is probably my favorite Bond soundtrack.  So much fun and just a great listenable album.  The pop songs are all great too!

I love this melody at 1:12 in "Ice Chase," one of the most fun tracks from any Bond! Dat drum machine! :P

The Five Sacred Trees (Bassoon Concerto) by John Williams: This is perhaps my favourite of Williams' concertos and sports such exquisite orchestrations throughout and you can really hear Williams' affinity for the instrument in the soloist passages. I have hard time picking a favourite movement as all of them contain such brilliant little moments of the composer's genius in combining his orchestral colours and the bassoon's voice. This is also perhaps along with the tuba concerto one of the Maestro's most accessible concert works and a good place to start exploring.

On 6/16/2016 at 11:16 PM, nightscape94 said:

I attempted to listen to Debney's Jungle Book but lost interest.

Tried it again, much better the second time.

Indeed more weight on the dramatic elements - it's a well-rounded finale for a good trilogy.

On first listen: functional retread with few distinguishing features (where's the hip stuff?). The overuse of this style by others isn't a help, either.

Michael Giacchino - John Carter

Had to wash the taste of ID4:R out of my mouth with a good sci-fi score and chose this one.  I think this is another one that grows on me every year.  It kinda didn't break any new ground for him, but did present the best version of a lot of things he had been doing in scores up until then.  I really like the themes in the score and the OST is a nice listen.  Despite the sessions leaking, I've barely listened to them or been arsed to make my own edit out of them, I like the OST.

8 hours ago, Incanus said:

The Five Sacred Trees (Bassoon Concerto)

I love this.  I also love Bassoon Concerti in general (with Mozart's of course being the top of the heap).

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Michael Giacchino - John Carter

Had to wash the taste of ID4:R out of my mouth with a good sci-fi score and chose this one.  I think this is another one that grows on me every year.  It kinda didn't break any new ground for him, but did present the best version of a lot of things he had been doing in scores up until then.  I really like the themes in the score and the OST is a nice listen.  Despite the sessions leaking, I've barely listened to them or been arsed to make my own edit out of them, I like the OST.

This was my favorite Giacchino until Tomorrowland really knocked me off my feet last year.

Revenge of the Sith

I think it's my favorite of the Prequel scores. I was never a big fan of Duel of the Fates but I love Battle of the Heroes. DotF always felt like half of a theme to me, and BotH is the superior other half. It's hard for me to love these scores since they're connected to movies I mostly hate but I'll be returning to this one. 

Star Wars/Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Charles Gerhardt conducting the National Philharmonic Orchestra

One of the greatest albums...ever. The suite from Star Wars, to which Gerhardt incorporated "Here They Come!" (AKA the concert version of "TIE Fighter Attack"), is so utterly amazing. We're talking definitive. It's a tough act to follow, but Gerhardt does so with such grace and mastery with the finale of Close Encounters. I mean, holy SHIT. If there is a heaven, surely they play that track on a repeating loop. I know there's been some debate on this forum in regard to the merit of Gerhardt's recordings, but those people are fucking morons. Sorry. I've been drinking and you know it's true. We were lucky to have him.