Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

Is anyone else shocked that JJ Abrams won't be doing Episode 8? What will his next film be now, I wonder? And will Giacchino score it (Abrams next film I mean)?

Yes, this is very weird, They already announce the next director and it's someone nobody gives a shit about

If at least they pick someone like Matthew Vaugn, Guillermo Del Toro or Alfonso Cuaron then I'd be a bit more optimistic

It's almost like Star Wars has been put on the assembly line of generic yearly movie now

And will Giacchino score it (Abrams next film I mean)?

If its not SW, why wouldn't he?

Oh my god. Wasn't Looper score mainly just washing-machine sounds or something like that? I fear for the future of Star Wars music if Johnson decides to hire his cousin again.

Don't be an idiot, they were microwaves.

And will Giacchino score it (Abrams next film I mean)?

If its not SW, why wouldn't he?

Well I dunno! I don't think it's necessarily a 100% guarantee though!

Looper was alright, but it still seem like slim credentials to get picked for Star Wars

Maybe Disney is not happy with the way the current production is going if they already replaced JJ?

Well, this news is about as exciting as when we found out that Newell guy would direct HPGoF

Imagine if Williams scored JJ's next film instead of Giacchino?

Maybe if they got along really great, but Williams is still committed to Spielberg first

JJ 's next film probably won't come out until 2017 or 2018, and Spielberg' s next two films come out in 2015 and 2016

Imagine if Williams scored JJ's next film instead of Giacchino?

Maybe if they got along really great, but Williams is still committed to Spielberg first

And JJ committed to Giacchino.

I liked Looper, but I don't think Johnson is the right director for Star Wars.

Nolan and Star Wars is a big no-no. Give him something like an Alien movie.

"The Dark Xenomorph" sounds pretty cool ;)

Nolan doing Star Wars just wouldn't work. No thanks.

I would like to see Vaughan doing Star Wars at somepoint.

Happy with RJ though. I liked Looper but the score was... let's hope JW will still be involved :)

Chill out, guys. Remember who directed ESB? Yeah, a total nobody. I would have hardly chosen Kershner based on his previous work but he delivered, heck, he directed the thing much better than Lucas would have. Too bad he didn't have much of a carreer after the film was done.

And ROTJ? At least he had Eye of the Needle -which is good but the book is much much better- but that's hardly close to sci-fi/space-opera material. Lucas wanted people who would call the shots and work with the actors, but people he could control. Here's the same. They're hiring an unknown director to have control of. If the heads say Williams is scoring, this guy's got virtually no choice. And he's not gonna risk a high-paying gig like this in getting too much of his directing personality into the film either, so calm down. And besides, Ozymandias was a very nicely directed episode of BB. Probably among the best.

This news implies nothing about Williams involvement or non-involvement with VIII or IX. He has been thus far, and will continue to be, the composer of "first attempt" for any of the main numbered SW films. That seems inarguable to me.

Concerning Johnson, I think he's a fine director. Loved Brick, especially. Looper was good too. And he directed arguably the best Breaking Bad episode in the entire series ("Ozymandias"). I'm excited with the talent that Disney is picking.

Actually, Abrams is much less interesting to me than Edwards and Johnson in their respective SW films.

Perhaps Rian Johnson has a better record of not literally breaking his actors' legs.

I know that I saw Looper, and found it mildly entertaining, but I honestly can't remember a single thing about it. Either I'm getting old, or movies have less staying power in my mind.

Meh...

+1

Desplat for IX.

Now you are talking!

Great news!

Brick and The Brothers Bloom are excellent.

Oh god! The Brothers Bloom (film) is a genuine turkey*. Please!

*Or at least incredibly redundant.

Yeah. Rian showed promise with Brick but Bloom and Looper were both very underwhelming. Given a good script it could be good though.

Didn't he write Looper? I remember the actors in that movie talking about how ingenious the plot was. I suppose if you never watched sci-fi ever it might have seemed like it. As it is, it was an Outer Limits episode made with better actors. It concerns me that he is writing the next two movies.

He sure did! I saw it with my own two eyes! Wow! Luckily, I have a photographic memory!

I didn't despise Looper (first half was sorta okay) but in the end it left a sour taste in my mouth. I disliked the second half.

To give Sharky some credit, I think he called himself Prometheus before the movie was made. When he finally saw the movie, he changed his name. It was the proper thing to do.