The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Bit of fan-service, but still fun.  Rather that than the alternative.  Cool to know that they can always bring her back for an event episode.  Would be nice to see her again whenever Capaldi calls it quits.

Kinda wish Moffat had displayed the sort of balls with Clara that he did over the Ponds' exit ... definitely gone, with no way for the Doctor to save them. Made Eleven's imagining of Amy appearing to say goodbye in his final moments all the more poignant.  

9 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Kinda wish Moffat had displayed the sort of balls with Clara that he did over the Ponds' exit ... definitely gone, with no way for the Doctor to save them.

Yes, except that The Doctor has a time machine and could very easily go back and get them. The story dictates he cannot ever travel back to New York in 1938, but there's nothing stopping him from going to 1940, or 1942 or any other random year to pick them up.

Really really poorly conceived plot.

Why is that relevant? The exact date and time doesnt matter. He can just get them while they have been living in New York for a couple of years. That's essentially what the 11th Doc did anyway while they were living in London. Drop by at various points in their live to have adventures

The main problem I've had with Who is that everything is always deemed impossible, only to be made very possible.  'Time' is always being threatened with being fractured, splintered, cracked, or otherwise destroyed, except it never is.  Things happen and then unhappen to people all the time on this show, it's a built-in issue of having a show dealing with time/dimensional travel.

27 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

The main problem I've had with Who is that everything is always deemed impossible, only to be made very possible.

It's part of the fabric, of fantasy in general, and of Who even more so. Even Tolkien has it - yes, he does ultimately banish Morgoth, but Sauron keeps being defeated and reappearing. In Who, the Daleks alternate between an unstoppable massive force, a last lone survivor, a small group, a huge army, etc. The Master keeps showing up again and again.

And as I've said before, personally I don't feel a later resurrection of a character makes a previous farewell less poignant. As long as it originally was genuine and the character (in this case, the Doctor) believes it was indeed a farewell. Whether a later reappearance is lame or welcome depends, for me, entirely on whether it's done well.

And I wouldn't mine Maisie Williams showing up again at some point.

Patrick Troughton's missing debut story 'The Power Of The Daleks' has been remade in animation form. It will be available on the BBC Store site in early November, with a DVD release to follow later that month.    

• 2 weeks later...

Already have The Movie on standard DVD, and if they haven't upped the picture quality to HD for the Blu I daresay there's little point in shelling out again.

Trailer for the Christmas special - 

• 1 month later...

Not surprising.  I love Capaldi, but I'm certainly open to a new Doctor.  And I actually really like the idea of a return to a "one and done" companion a la Martha/Donna after 2 longer term companions in a row.

I really really like him in the role, but he's not my favorite Doctor or anything, and three seasons/four Xmas specials seems like a good run to me.  I'm very much in the middle on this one.  I'd be perfectly happy for him to continue and I'd be fine to see a new person.

1 hour ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Exactly my point!

In the meantime, anyone started watching Class yet? Capaldi was in the first episode as The Doctor.

yeah I've been keeping fairly up to the date with the show. tonally it sometimes gives me Torchwood vibes. Episode 3 was really good but the others have been pretty hit and miss. the latest arc they did was pretty messy and I'm not completely sold on the characters yet, some of them feel very undercooked. still it has potential and the monsters they've been coming up with for the most part are pretty creative and fit right in the DW universe.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Just because a show runner is leaving doesn't mean the leading actor has to.

True, but BBC want a clean slate and most importantly, a younger Doctor to sell more merchandise!

I want Capaldi to stay but the bosses and the stats disagree...

I've watched the first five episodes of Class and it seems to be a mixed bag.

I think the biggest problem I have with the show is that it's tonally all over the place and it doesn't know whether it should be a YA show dealing with sex, death, violence and other mature concepts or if it wants to mix in the Alien, sci-fi elements that make DW intriguing. This weeks episode looks like it will dealing with the gang directly.

Positives for the show for me would be that it takes the time to develop and talk about those aforementioned mature concepts.

The score isn't as evocative as Murray Gold's. I'm unsure why they didn't get Gold or Foster to write the music?

1 minute ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Well, if the Beeb REALLY (never trust a tabloid) want to return to a 'younger, dashing' Doctor ... Eddie Redmayne recently expressed an interest.   

Nightmare Scenario.

28 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Well, if the Beeb REALLY (never trust a tabloid) want to return to a 'younger, dashing' Doctor ... Eddie Redmayne recently expressed an interest.   

I'm sure Warner would have a thing or two to say about that. Having their Newt Scamander star in essentially a rival British franchise.

On 17/11/2016 at 7:37 PM, Sweeping Strings said:

Rona Munro (writer of 'Survival', the last Who story broadcast during the '63-'89 run) has penned Episode 9 of next year's series.    

Yes, I read this, too. I watched SURVIVAL, last week, and rather good it is, too.

If - and I mean if - PC goes, I've been thinking about successors:

Rupert Penry-Jones, Max Beasley,

or Lee Ingleby.

2 hours ago, RPurton said:

God that clip was awful. Capaldi is the only thing holding it all together now - even the music was recycled!

Agreed on all counts, I'm afraid.

On 19/11/2016 at 1:31 PM, Richard said:

Yes, I read this, too. I watched SURVIVAL, last week, and rather good it is, too.

If - and I mean if - PC goes, I've been thinking about successors:

Rupert Penry-Jones, Max Beasley,

or Lee Ingleby.

Agreed on all counts, I'm afraid.

Happy birthday, Doctor.

The thing I like about Capaldi DW in the  Moffat's tenure is that the story mentions so many more events and characters from the RTD seasons. Captain Jack, Harold Saxon, etc. When Matt Smith was the Doctor, I felt that he barely mentioned the events of the previous four years, as if they wanted a fresh start/reboot to the show. I don't remember many mentions before the time where the Doctor saw his three previous companions and mentioned grief or regret. I think the cracks in time explained some away, although Victory of Daleks does mention previous events. Granted, I am certain that Chris Eccleston's season was handled the same way. 

I think I'm just really observant and in touch with the show. 

They both have weaknesses. Moffat is a weak showrunner and has trouble with serialized character writing and storylines. He essentially has funny ideas here and there and would work better as an occasional writer of standalone stories.

As for Capaldi, he's perfect and I want him to stay more. The contrast between his presence and the dumb stuff they make him do and say is hilarious. It's the opposite from Matt Smith (he was and looked goofy and the menacing, serious stuff came out of nowhere as a shocking effect)

Moffat seems to think that endlessly providing plot twists is the way to good, solid drama.

It only works if you do it occasionally and when your audience isnt expecting it, or is expecting something different.

6 hours ago, Brónach said:

They both have weaknesses. Moffat is a weak showrunner and has trouble with serialized character writing and storylines. He essentially has funny ideas here and there and would work better as an occasional writer of standalone stories.

As for Capaldi, he's perfect and I want him to stay more. The contrast between his presence and the dumb stuff they make him do and say is hilarious. It's the opposite from Matt Smith (he was and looked goofy and the menacing, serious stuff came out of nowhere as a shocking effect)

Yep, Capaldi is excellent with the Doctor's lighter side and has been right from 'Deep Breath'. It's why I kinda wish last year's Christmas special had stayed a big daft romp all the way through, but Moffat couldn't resist a more serious final 10 minutes or so.  

Moffat/Smith's first season together is still the best of all modern Who. You could tell that this was a story that Moffat had been writing for a long time - its overarching plot is airtight and clever without showing off, and the humour was genuinely goofy and funny with minimal cringe. Even though it has the Silurian clunker in the middle, the rest is fantastic.

Capaldi's seasons have almost come up to that quality. I hope the year off has given Moffat the opportunity to really hit his last season hard. I'm really looking forward to it, it could very well topple season 5.