The Avengers (Written and Directed by Joss Whedon, music by Alan Silvestri)

Kendal_Ozzel

I probably could come up with more adjectives in Portuguese besides pedestrian. And it's a nice shortcut for not having to explain anything any further

I probably could come up with more adjectives in Portuguese besides pedestrian.

Then, please, do use them in your next reviews. That way, it will offer us more variety, and we will learn Portuguese at the same time! It's a win-win situation, Merky!

The Avengers has made an unprecedented $200M domestically in its opening weekend, shattering Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2's $169M benchmark.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=avengers11.htm

I have to admit, the replay value on this movie is pretty damn good. It deserves every penny it gets.

I probably could come up with more adjectives in Portuguese besides pedestrian. And it's a nice shortcut for not having to explain anything any further

That's a pedestrian solution :P J/k.

I think i also have some recurrent words.

finishing sentences with 'though' is one of them i think.

The Avengers has made an unprecedented $200M domestically in its opening weekend, shattering Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2's $169M benchmark.

http://www.boxoffice...=avengers11.htm

I have to admit, the replay value on this movie is pretty damn good. It deserves every penny it gets.

Wow. The opening weekend for this made more than the domestic gross of Hulk (2003), The Incredible Hulk, Thor, and Captain America. Congrats to everyone involved they deserved it.

Finally heard the score album, was pretty underwhelmed. I'm a Silvestri fan for sure, but it seemed like either the temp screwed with his swinging for the fences or the film is edited poorly (haven't seen the film). Or maybe he was playing it a bit safe, which so many trained bad ass composers are doing these days, for fear of coming off as 'traditional."

http://www.boxoffice...=avengers11.htm

that sets the bar high for the Bat which I hope turns out better than this overrated film.

Personally I cannot imagine why people are going nuts over a movie that is good but nothing more. It's certainly not as good as the film it beat. It's not as good as last years best comic book superhero movie, X-Men First Class Imho.

I do not plan to see it again nor do I plan to buy it

You're not the only one who is baffled. It was a good time at the cinema, but I'd never have said in a million years it'd turn into this mini phenonomen it has done. It's just a daft superhero flick to me, but people seem to be really buying into it, literally. I dunno, maybe it's just come along at exactly the right time again - people are pissed off and looking for wild escapism and The Avengers ticks all the boxes. It'll probably be another flash-in-the-pan with a substantial drop-off the trending charts once everyone has actually seen it.

Either way, it's harmless, and I can think of worse movies which might have taken the business.

It's not that the movie is bad, but it is not substantially better than the previous Marvel movies, IMHo, so I'm also kinda baffled this one has caught fire like it has. That opening weekend is just stunning, it will be hard for TDKR to beat it without 3d (which was a nearly 60% share of The Avengers gross)

Coming from a fan of comics, this film is basically just a live action comic book.

There's a story, that while not too complicated, gets built up for 1.5 hours and totally delivers with one of the best edited action pieces I've seen in quite some time. Every character gets their moment to shine and it is edited in a very satisfying way unlike a lot of the other Marvel film's climaxes. The characters all had room to breath after being previously established and it was clear that everyone was having a great time making the movie. The humor at times was really good, and while it would be out of place in a more serious film, fits perfectly in a film set in this universe.

I am not a huge Whedon fan, only really liking Firefly and Dollhouse, but it is clear his ability to handle a large group of actors is quite superb and I am glad that he wrote the screenplay. I have read a lot of people say that the films' success doesn't apply to Whedon and anyone could have directed this movie and turned in a substantial box office, but I doubt it would have been quite as good.

The Avengers is basically a film that as a little kid you could only wish was possible back in the day and now to see it on screen is quite amazing. No Marvel film has ever gotten my praise so quickly as this one did and I doubt it will falter anytime soon. I understand the older crowd or non-comic fans not getting the film, and that's fine. With technology finally up to a point where a lot of comic mythos can finally be realized on screen I can't wait to see what's to come.

I saw it tonight

It was ok, I agree with what Merkel said. Personally I'm getting a bit bored with these huge CGI battles. At one point I thought I was seeing Transformers 3 again with decepticons coming through a warpgate in the sky. Plus that huge worm like robot flying through the sky looked familiar

I don't really plan to see it again either

I really enjoyed it. I didn't love it, but it beat my expectations. It's not a 10/10 film, but there are a lot of 10/10 scenes. My two favorite scenes would be the one which used this piece http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA-QjmP_ZyM with what I consider to be a brilliant juxtaposition of images(Cap looking at his suit gave me chills) and when Loki goes face to face with a suitless Iron Man. Everything about the latter scene was so brilliantly written, but, then again, the whole film is filled with great dialogue.

Coming from a fan of comics, this film is basically just a live action comic book.

Isn't that basically the goal of all these type movies?

I find it amusing that "comic book" in the anglosaxon world seems to mean "superhero comic book made in USA". This said, barely any superhero film based on these comic books has reached the core of what the best of them are like. I haven't seen The Avengers, but I remember Whedon saying that the supehero in film had been deconstructed by films like The Dark Knight, Watchmen or Kick-Ass before it had actually been properly built, which I imagine it's what's he's trying to do in this film.

I finally saw this.

I've got several ideas in mind. One of them is that I don't remember the last time where I was getting goosebumps just a few minutes into the film. I didn't want this film to end. I'm trying to understand why. The film is very elegantly executed, but it's not just that, it's got a somewhat childish attitude towards what it's telling, that makes it shine. This is like the kind of stuff that goes in a kid's mind when he is playing with toys.There are moments to like here. The tunnel chase. The cut to the title. The small gags. The discussion while the camera rotates to look at the staff, Banner holding the staff. The introduction of each character. The different, purposely cheesy moments showing the team are brilliant. I think the film lives on that. It's a film that works because of its own cheesiness. Whedon says The Avengers is a terrible idea for a superhero film. I'd be inclined to agree, but the thng is that it works for that very reason.

I find it funny that the climax is exactly as I had imagined it, just with a different character and weapon. But I think I like Whedon's version better than mine, for several reasons.

An actual physicist tells me that the "technobabble" in the film actually makes sense. So we could say this gets my rarely used stamp of approval. Yay. On the other hand, apparently Jeremy Renner has a bit of trouble at holding a bow properly, but it doesn't really bother me.

There's yet more reasons to like this. The character writing is tight. Almost all the lines the characters say, and basically all they do, seem to come from thinking seriously about such characters. They are never shoehorned. But they aren't predictable either. The cast is spot on. The placement of the music is excellent, but the music itself is begging for more ideas.

Oh, someone asked for this. This film is indeed Whedony. In fact the basic concept of the film is a basic underlying thing in a lot of stuff this guy has done. Let's see, to scratch the surface:

-Superheroes, or simply people with superhabilities.

-Mysterious organizations looking for people with these, with various intentions.

-Large cast of relevant characters. Crew of badasses, degenerates into a bunch of misfits that don't look up to the task, they don't work together well sometimes. Straight use of the classic team concept: the leader, the guy who disagrees, the big guy, the smart guy, etc

-Casual danger dialogue. All the time. "Buffy speak." Sarcasm everywhere. Cultural references. Parodying or subverting cliched turns and twists in fiction, specially ones pertaining to dialogue. Rhetorical questions that fail.

-Sudden changes of mood.

-Sort of a grey morality.

-Characters deciding to screw the rules. They also tend to unite after the death of another character.

-Character dies stabbed. In general, Whedon will usually try to kill cheaply whoever he is allowed to kill. This will not go without previously trying desperatey to make the character symphathetic. This one works better in longer stories like a TV show.

-Ships on the brick of disaster.

-Pointing out its own clichés.

-Villain drills the mind of one or several of the good guys, gives them the Hannibal lecture or explains to them why they suck etc. (Also, seduction, but not here)

-Villain attemps to rule the world.

-Poking fun at the “godhood” or the "magic" of a character.

-Possessed characters. Mentally perturbed characters.

-Long shot presenting crew.

-Hordes of enemies.

-Fun with magic portals that open and close. Also they might devour its surroundings.

-Fish out of temporal water.

-Absurd aiming skills.

-Genre savvy characters (ie, Loki's plan is to split up the heroes, then conquer the world.)

-etc

To say something negative, I could say that the song in the end credits, as usual, doesn't fit with the rest and destroys the mood. I mean we just saw that cosmic dude smiling and thinking something weird. Does. Not. Fit.

I already forgot most of the movie.

Basically a special effects movie with actors trying to upstage each others with one liners. I cannot think of one truly memorable scene

and few of the one liners are memorable. everyone of them is forced.

It's an overlong setup, an overlong action scene, cliche loss of all hope scene, then giant final action scene. Dialogue is nothing but sarcastic one-liners.

You're joking, right? Whedon can dial up the serious factor.

As for the endless Dark of the Moon comparisons, Whedon has a coherent sense of geography and we can tell the characters apart during the action scenes (especially during the NYC climatic battle). Bay's film may have been more immersive, 3D-wise, but The Avengers Hulk-smashes everything else in that movie. Including the action and unforced humor.

And unlike 99% of the human characters in DOTM, The Avengers gives each main hero a chance to shine. It wasn't about the numerous action sequences, it's about the heroes coming together. There's enough screen time allotted to let them develop their own personality and play off one another. One of my favorite parts of Avengers is the actors playing off one another, like the animosity between Steve and Tony growing into mutual respect, or Natasha's scenes with Bruce in India and the Helicarrier.

And Whedon is known for his trademark humor. All of the physical gags and the more clever one-liners had the audience roaring with laughter.

I greatly enjoyed the movie. The rather tame story was totally overshadowed by the well-drawn characters and action (of which there was not too much). It's very much a Whedon film and I think that's mainly why it succeeds.

My biggest disappointment with this superhero movie is I didn't get goosebumps once.

When I watch heroic scenes featuring superheros, I expect goosebumps. It's a given.

It's an overlong setup, an overlong action scene, cliche loss of all hope scene, then giant final action scene. Dialogue is nothing but sarcastic one-liners.

You're joking, right? Whedon can dial up the serious factor.

As for the endless Dark of the Moon comparisons, Whedon has a coherent sense of geography and we can tell the characters apart during the action scenes (especially during the NYC climatic battle). Bay's film may have been more immersive, 3D-wise, but The Avengers Hulk-smashes everything else in that movie. Including the action and unforced humor.

And unlike 99% of the human characters in DOTM, The Avengers gives each main hero a chance to shine. It wasn't about the numerous action sequences, it's about the heroes coming together. There's enough screen time allotted to let them develop their own personality and play off one another. One of my favorite parts of Avengers is the actors playing off one another, like the animosity between Steve and Tony growing into mutual respect, or Natasha's scenes with Bruce in India and the Helicarrier.

And Whedon is known for his trademark humor. All of the physical gags and the more clever one-liners had the audience roaring with laughter.

Woah, slow down there. I made no mention of Dark Of The Moon. Revenge Of The Fallen was so utterly bad I didn't even bother to see the third.

I simply found the film mediocre. I don't know Whedon well enough to see his influence, but I can tell you I immensely enjoyed The Cabin In The Woods. That's a better film than The Avengers. This felt like another Iron Man sequel with all its flashy sarcasm and wit. I chuckled a couple times maybe; I know I fell asleep for 15 minutes during that overlong setup, but that was mainly due to me not sleeping at all the night before.

I can see why people enjoyed it, they're all the same people that went "Oooooh" and "Ahhhhh" during the Battleship trailer.

Avengers was Transformers 4, Battleship is Transformers 5

I can see why people enjoyed it, they're all the same people that went "Oooooh" and "Ahhhhh" during the Battleship trailer.

Battleship looks like complete shit. Berg is a wannabe Michael Bay, in the worst possible way.

I thought the Avengers was an enjoyable film, but nothing great and frankly nothing special. It's just an enjoyable summer blockbuster flick. I've seen better superhero films and I've seen far worse. But this is a movie where you can sit back and actually take a break with.

Anyways, here is my review for Alan Silvestri's score for anyone interested:

http://musicmusekk.wordpress.com/2012/05/10/the-avengers-alan-silvestri/

- KK

Battleship looks like complete shit. Berg is a wannabe Michael Bay, in the worst possible way.

I agree, but it seems to be the standard these days.

I agree, but it seems to be the standard these days.

The Avengers does suffer from that overblown CGI action syndrome that populates Michael Bay's films at times (especially the finale), but the action is cleanly shot and cohesively edited. I couldn't say the same for Bay's first two Transformers films, and Peter Berg's Battleship.

I'm trying to figure out why some of you are just indifferent and compare TA to these other directors' works. The actors are uniformly better, the humor works, no offensive racial stereotypes, and a strong female heroine to boot. Bay's films either objectified women or made them stone cold bitches.

I honestly don't see the kind of detractors Bay's films usually have in TA. I can understand to a degree why you wouldn't like TA, but it is NOT a bad film.

Oh by no means no. I was just underwhelmed at its averageness after nearly 100% of people loved it. It just didn't feel different enough for me. Like I said, it kinda of blends into the Iron Man style that Favreau started. Well, I doubt he really had any creative input. Seems like the studio controls the final outcome no matter who's behind the camera. You can probably be sure Webb's influence in The Amazing Spider-Man will be absent. To me personally, it's most likely all the CGI, which you would never find in these directors' typical output.

I didn't even know Peter Berg was directing Battleship. I love The Rundown.

Oh, please. I love this film, but I have no interest at all in seeing that thing. Something I think might have affected my judgement is that I haven't actually seen modern films like this one, in the terms of fantasy CGI scale and the like. Star Trek comes to mind, but in retrospective that one is sooo dull compared to this one.

As for the one liners, there's a lot of actual, well written dialogue in this film. The "one liners" are usualy integrated in it, they just come out as such. Another good thing about the dialogue in this film is that it usually addresses several points at once, to keep the narrative going.

Well, I doubt he really had any creative input. Seems like the studio controls the final outcome no matter who's behind the camera.

Apparently the only thing that they changed from Whedon's ideas was to make him scrap a secondary villain.

I'm not saying I didn't like the movie either. It was fun. But nothing I can't wait to see again or buy on Blu Ray for repeated viewings

I'm moving on, next Dark Shadows, then the awful battleship, working my way to Snow white and the Huntsman. then Prometheus/Alien-1

I'm moving on, next Dark Shadows, then the awful battleship, working my way to Snow white and the Huntsman. then Prometheus/Alien-1

I've got a quite long list for this year (it will probably become longer as the year goes and more lesser known but interesting films start appearing.) I'm like... MOAR!

We go to the movies during the Summer almost every weekend. sometimes we see more than one movie. We know going in that films like the Avengers are over hyped or that Battleship will be seen for the spectacle and nothing more. Still every now and then a summer movie equals or surpasses all expectation.

I don't go to the cinema much (last time I went before The Avengers was in December) because I need a particular set of circumstances, but I like seeing many of them later to fill in the blanks.

Basically a special effects movie with actors trying to upstage each others with one liners. I cannot think of one truly memorable scene

That's b/c you obviously weren't paying attention.

no, there wasn't anything memorable to be paid attention too.

It's all been there done that before, did it better, did it worse.

I don't know how these who say there wasn't nothing memorable perceived the film, but in my screening the film created quite a reaction in the audience several times.

Yeah, people were cheering on both occasions. Kids and adults, women and men - they seemes to be enjoying themselves. I haven't seen a reaction like this in quite a while.

Karol