284 replies to this topic

#1 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35931 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:19 PM

Our two-at-a-time release pattern returns on March 3. And in my humble opinion, that's gonna be an exciting day. One title ranks as the kind you'd have expected to get released based on the mega-wattage of both composer and movie - but it didn't. That is, until now. So it'll be a blast from the past, circa those fabulous 1980's. Needless to say, we're excited about it. And the other one - from the sixties - is pretty cool, too.

From
http://store.intrada...f?category=-102

Unless "mega-wattage" refers to something else entirely.

0N4P3tb.jpg

#2 Lurker

Lurker

Lurker

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:30 PM

Back to the Future had an album with Silvestri music on it and at that time he was not considered "mega-wattage".

Neil

#3 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:38 PM

But he didn't specifically say "in 1985". Also, I don't think having two score tracks on the soundtrack rules it out. The same could be said about GHOSTBUSTERS, the OST had score tracks, but it took a long, long time for the full score to appear.

I think it's a good bet based on the "mega-wattage" comment. Either that's a big clue, or he's just effing with us.
Repeat the JWFan pledge after me: 'I hereby recognise John Towner Williams' place in the world as the great composer there has ever been, and I therefore renounce the works of Rozsa, Korngold, Herrmann, Horner, Kamen, Giacchino (unless the prophecy is fulfilled and he becomes the heir to JTW) and Goldsmith, especially Goldsmith. I understand that if I ever refer to Jurassic Park as anything less than "a masterpiece sixty-five million years in the making" I will be resigned to living out my days at the Zimmershrine.'

#4 Eblobulator

Eblobulator

Trekkie For Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13336 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:39 PM

Neil,

Jason and I posted at the same time....but okay if you want to have it discussed here. Ya it's never had an official only score CD release. I hope too it's not limited...it would sort of suck if it is.

GAC2.jpg

Kathryn Janeway: "Time travel. Since my first day on the job as a Starfleet Captain I swore I'd never let myself get caught in one of these godforsaken paradoxes - the future is the past, the past is the future, it all gives me a headache."

#5 Morlock

Morlock

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16149 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:40 PM

But he didn't specifically say "in 1985". Also, I don't think having two score tracks on the soundtrack rules it out. The same could be said about GHOSTBUSTERS, the OST had score tracks, but it took a long, long time for the full score to appear.

...but he specifically states that it didn't get a release. If it got a short CD or LP release, they mention it in the teaser.
I should be resisting this, but I'm paralyzed with rage... and island rhythms.

#6 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:43 PM

I didn't know that (the teaser bit, I'm new to this), but I wouldn't even call it a release. Two tracks alongside a bunch of songs, half of which I can't even remember being in the movie.
Repeat the JWFan pledge after me: 'I hereby recognise John Towner Williams' place in the world as the great composer there has ever been, and I therefore renounce the works of Rozsa, Korngold, Herrmann, Horner, Kamen, Giacchino (unless the prophecy is fulfilled and he becomes the heir to JTW) and Goldsmith, especially Goldsmith. I understand that if I ever refer to Jurassic Park as anything less than "a masterpiece sixty-five million years in the making" I will be resigned to living out my days at the Zimmershrine.'

#7 Diego

Diego

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:46 PM

"Mega-wattage" and "blast from the past", if it's not BTTF, and Neil probably knows more than we do, they certainly made it sound like it
Watch out now, take care, beware the thoughts that linger, winding up inside your head. The hopelessness around you in the dead of night. Beware of Sadness. It can hit you, it can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what we are here for.

#8 Eblobulator

Eblobulator

Trekkie For Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13336 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:48 PM

It's gotta be BTTF. Hopefully as I suggested it's not limited edition. I wouldn't be surprised if it's not a limited title.

GAC2.jpg

Kathryn Janeway: "Time travel. Since my first day on the job as a Starfleet Captain I swore I'd never let myself get caught in one of these godforsaken paradoxes - the future is the past, the past is the future, it all gives me a headache."

#9 ChuckM

ChuckM

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2280 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:50 PM

SWEET!
;)

#10 Richard Penna

Richard Penna

Somewhere else

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9531 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:52 PM

I'm sure it's BTTF. The clue fits perfectly.

If it is, I'd love to know what asshole was keeping this from being released.

#11 Henry Buck

Henry Buck

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9282 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:53 PM

I didn't know that (the teaser bit, I'm new to this), but I wouldn't even call it a release. Two tracks alongside a bunch of songs, half of which I can't even remember being in the movie.

They were all in the movie. Well, except for Silvestri's overture.

#12 ChuckM

ChuckM

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2280 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:56 PM

And Silvestri's "Main Theme." ;)

#13 Wycket

Wycket

Happy 50th Doctor Who

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts
  • Location:A parallel universe, where Williams and Zimmer fans get along in harmony.

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:57 PM

Let's hope this is BTTF, as this has long been one of the scores that got me interested in film music in the first place. If its not, then touche for the nice psych-out.

#14 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:59 PM

Oh, I'm not doubting they weren't, I just can't remember them. I suppose technically Silvestri has three pieces if you count the flourish at the end of 'Earth Angel'.

#15 Henry Buck

Henry Buck

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9282 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:59 PM

This wouldn't be the first time Intrada led us on.

#16 Morlock

Morlock

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16149 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:03 PM

Intrada and Varese often have too good to be true releases that turn out to have been too good to be true. But I don't blame 'em. I'm sure they are mightily excited when they work on something for all those months, and most of those scores are someone's holy grails. Personally though, I'd be happier with a simple notice as to when the new CDs will be posted. The speculation can be rather mind-numbing.
I should be resisting this, but I'm paralyzed with rage... and island rhythms.

#17 Richard Penna

Richard Penna

Somewhere else

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9531 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:57 PM

That's the thing - they work hard on every release, knowing that it's the holy grail of someone, somewhere. Compared to the bigger labels, it's rather admirable what they do, and goes some way towards fixing the broken releasing system for film music.

#18 Hedji

Hedji

May the Lifelong Prosperous Force Be With You

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2109 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:48 AM

If the other one from the 60s is "pretty cool", I wonder if those words could be taken as a clue as well.

#19 bruckhorn

bruckhorn

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:49 AM

Too many false hopes over the years to make me think that BTTF is finally getting released. Horner's version of Something Wicked This Way Comes would fit the description, if "megawattage" wasn't considered an unsubtle hint.

Okay, somebody post a reply with the note that Horner's score has been commercially released. Still, there's more than one score by a big name composer that hasn't been released yet. Are there any Goldsmith scores from the 80's that haven't been issued?

Just remember how underwhelmed most of us were when Intrada released WarGames?

Don't hold your breath for BTTF, but do keep an extra $20 in your pocket, just in case...
"I was born to speak all mirth and no matter."

#20 pixie_twinkle

pixie_twinkle

Time Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5044 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:50 AM

I'll be honest here and say I rarely buy any post 1960 film scores that are not John Williams, but I'll gladly make an exception for BTTF. :)
"Will there ever be a boy born who can swim faster than a shark?"

#21 Greg1138

Greg1138

Down Once More...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3673 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:55 AM

DOn't want to piss on anyone's bonfire or anything - but if it were I writing such a teaser and it WERE for BTTF, I wouldn't have mentioned the word Mega-Wattage, since mega-watts were never mentioned in BTTF. If the teaser had stated Giga-wattage, I'd be a little more optimistic....

#22 pixie_twinkle

pixie_twinkle

Time Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5044 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:58 AM

What the heck's a giga-watt?
"Will there ever be a boy born who can swim faster than a shark?"

#23 John Crichton

John Crichton

The Doctor in America

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16472 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:31 AM

Ordered!

I don't care, ordered!

:)
The First Question. The Oldest Question in the Universe, hidden in plain sight...

#24 Lurker

Lurker

Lurker

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:39 AM

I hope it's ALIEN!

Neil

#25 Hlao-roo

Hlao-roo

Rank Sentimentalist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6009 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 03:49 AM

It's gotta be BTTF. Hopefully as I suggested it's not limited edition. I wouldn't be surprised if it's not a limited title.

http://www.intrada.n...p?p=26712#26712

It's not BTTF god @()*@#( it

#26 Drax

Drax

ゴジラ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15266 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:28 AM

A re-issue of Explorers, perhaps?

#27 Hlao-roo

Hlao-roo

Rank Sentimentalist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6009 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:54 AM

Someone at the Intrada forum mentioned Honey, I Shrunk the Kid, for which a good case can be made:
  • Composer: James Horner
  • Soundtrack album release: Nothing legitimate
  • Year of theatrical release: 1989
  • Domestic box office gross: $130,724,172 (#5 in 1989)
  • Studio: Buena Vista (a brand of Walt Disney, a studio with which Intrada has possibly made inroads, as evidenced by Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend)

#28 Kendal_Ozzel

Kendal_Ozzel

Admiral

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2550 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:58 AM

Wasn't there a lawsuit against that one?

#29 ChuckM

ChuckM

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2280 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:33 AM

Yeah, I don't think they're allowed to ever release HISTK because the main theme is a direct rip from that other dude's piece.

#30 Richard Penna

Richard Penna

Somewhere else

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9531 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:24 PM

http://www.intrada.n...p?p=26712#26712

It's not BTTF god @()*@#( it

Dammit!

I want to take hold of whoever is stopping BTTF by the ears and shake their heads 30 or 40 times (Bryson reference there for any readers).

#31 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70592 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:02 PM

Gremlins then!

save_zpsf802f795.jpg

#32 guest

Supreme Something Something

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31070 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:41 PM

Gremlins received a release, although only 15 minutes of Goldsmith's score made it on to the album. Explorers also received a release.

One would think Honey I Shrunk the Kids would be nightmare to clear if all the stories are true. Some very blatant borrowing in that score.

Of course The Goonies or Airplane! would be nice.

#33 Richard Penna

Richard Penna

Somewhere else

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9531 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:51 PM

There's some sort of promo around for Honey I Shrunk... that appears to contain the whole score (only 1 hour of music but has a lot of very short cues) with perfectly good sound quality.

But yes, I hear he got himself sued over that one. I've heard comparisons and he did nick a lot of stuff. I can easily see problems with getting rights/permission from those he stole from preventing a release of this score which is a shame, as there's some really good stuff in here (by whoever actually wrote it :lol:)

This whole guessing thing does get a bit tiresome, but I can see why they do it. It's been pointed out by someone else that if they announced some mega holy grail months in advance, and then something happened to prevent the release at the last minute, there would be a lot of very angry people wanting to know who or what the problem was and just bad PR all round.

It's a bit like the SM:3 situation in that there was tons of expectation and speculation, and then suddenly it all amounted to nothing when the 'no release' announcement came - I was seriously annoyed, and still really want to know the reason for it.

#34 guest

• Members
  • 31070 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:58 PM

Well I don't know about sound quality but there is one out there.... :lol:

I can name 3 he borrowed from right off the bat:

Raymond Scott - Powerhouse

Nino Rota - Amarcord

Dave Grusin - The Goonies

If the stories are true, 2 of them resulted in lawsuits.

#35 Richard Penna

Richard Penna

Somewhere else

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9531 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 03:05 PM

I thought it was a ton of classical pieces he ripped, not film scores?

#36 guest

• Members
  • 31070 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 03:08 PM

You're thinking about other scores like Willow... :lol:

It's been quite awhile since I listened to the score but I remember those being the most talked about, plus they really stood out the first time I saw the film.

#37 Richard Penna

Richard Penna

Somewhere else

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9531 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 03:12 PM

So he steals from others, then himself. And yet he denied it, and ranted on that infamous interview about Yared's very original work. What a hypocrite.

#38 Drax

Drax

ゴジラ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15266 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 03:18 PM

I know, isn't he awesome?

:lol:

#39 publicist

publicist

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5765 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 03:21 PM

I wonder if there is a desperate need for 'Honey I shrunk the Kids'. Those who like it most likely have obtained the unmentionable (in very good sound) since the 15 years it's in circulation now - and i have this strange hunch that everyone else will be rather delighted to use Horner as punching ball for all the plagiarism.

Let it be 'BTTF', then we're at least done with those never-ending speculations.
You wouldn't see a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord, singing "Subtle Plans Are Here Again."

#40 Delorean90

Delorean90

No, it's just a coincidence.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3273 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 03:23 PM

Well I don't know about sound quality but there is one out there.... :lol:

I can name 3 he borrowed from right off the bat:

Raymond Scott - Powerhouse

Nino Rota - Amarcord

Dave Grusin - The Goonies

If the stories are true, 2 of them resulted in lawsuits.

The thing is, I liked his variations and orchestrations so much that I didn't care--I loved his take on the Scott and Rota themes. It just sucks that proper credit wasn't given in the first place, otherwise we might not have this mess.

Oh, and the sound quality is pretty doggone good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users