The Adventures of Tintin on CINEMATIC SOUND

Erik Woods

UPDATE: October 18, 2011

THIS JUST IN! | SHOW #16

On this edition of THIS JUST IN! we will be featuring the broadcast premiere of music from John Williams’ new score to the Steven Spielberg film THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN: THE SECRET OF THE UNICORN, which is Williams first full film score in three years! You will also hear extended suites from DREAM HOUSE (Debney), THE PRESENCE (Pope), THE HELP (Newman), DON’T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK (Beltrami/Sanders) and THE CAPE (McCreary). During the course of the program you will also hear shorter selections from TINKER, TAILOR, SOLDIER, SPY (Iglasias), THE MUSIC OF BATTLESTAR GALACTICA FOR SOLO PIANO (McCreary), DRIVE (Martinez), WARRIOR (Isham) and LA FILLE DU PUISATIER (Desplat). http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=1441

Once you are done with the program please head over to The John Williams Fan Network to read an exclusive and in-depth review of John Williams’ score to THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN: THE SECRET OF THE UNICORN. http://www.jwfan.com/?p=1266

Special thanks to Tim Burden and Jason LeBlanc.

Visit www.cinematicsound.net to hear the show and follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/cinematicsound and Twitter at https://twitter.com/cinsoundradio

Enjoy!

-Erik-

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:ola:

Listening to it now...

My God, the first track is amazing. WOW.

____

Okay, wow.

Does this play the entire soundtrack album? :blink:

I've heard the 1st and 2nd tracks, and now listening to the 3rd.

Okay, we now have the 4 tracks (?) in their entirety.

Snowy's Theme (the track) actually is a bit like Mutt's Theme, I thought... but much better! :)

The score is great.

Well, duh.

Glad you like it too.

Oh my God, I just started to listen to it and this sounds terrific. Not so much the opening cue, although I am sure I am going to like it, but the Snowy's Theme is brilliant, so is the next cue (I didn't catch the name).

EDIT: Sir Francis and the Unicorn = shivers. Dear God, I almost teared up, it was so grand.

EDIT 2: Haddock's Theme reminds me of that shanty little motif from JAWS.

The second suite is more to my liking. After the two concert suites in the first, it gets a bit too underscore-y for my tastes, but the second one rules.

There's one theme that VERY deliberately quotes from THE FURY, only the last two notes are prolonged.

My pleasure! Plus, getting this score yesterday got me off my ass to produce a new program! I didn't have much time to do it hence the scattered brained nature of my commentary but it was really good to get a new show out for you all to enjoy!

I hope you are all taking the time to listen to the other scores included in the show especially Conrad Pope's THE PRESENCE and Debney's DREAM HOUSE. Both are wonderful scores!

-Erik-

01 - The Adventures Of Tintin: Jazzy in nature, with some orchestral embellishment. No obvious hummable them that stands out straight away. clever, lightweight fun.

02 - Snowy's Theme: starts out as typical JW music for cute creatures. The piano gives it a touch of sophistication.

03 - The Secret of the Scrolls: Mysterious, without being ominous. Nice bassoon-like instrument augmented by low strings.

04 - Introducing the Thompsons and Snowy's chase: Deliberately pompous music for the 2 detectives followed by some "european" sounding music on accordion finished of with some light chase music based around Snowy's theme. Nice deep brass at the finish

05 - Marlinspike Hall: Ominous string and brass tones gradually shift into chase music featuring Snowy's Theme again, followed by low bassoon and high strings suspense building. Sneaking around quietly music. Very Indiana Jones in nature.

06 - Escape From the Karaboudjan: First real action cue blends a jazzy touch with the usual frantic John Williams action rhythms. A simple but interesting brass theme occurs. Stylish, but very typical JW action music.

07 - Sir Francis and the Unicorn; Low brass and choir opens. the simple brass theme is given a more noble rendition, and finally goes into epic brass fanfare mode. The second part opens with Media Ventures style rhythms but swiftly JW adds a few brass and percussion layers too it. The simple brass theme is given more development. For the first time the music really starts to soar a bit.

08 - Captain Haddock Takes The Oars; Low woodwinds and high tremolo strings lead into a new theme on low winds. A definite nautical feel to it. Like a sea shanty.

09 - Red Rackham's Curse and The Treasure: Strings and woodwinds building to something, interrupted swiftly though. A magical, almost mystical part is followed by a JW brass fanfare, which morphs into an action piece. Strings and woodwinds building a nice rhythm together. Eventually the brass comes denotes something more awe-inspired. The simple brass theme returns. The brass in the last part sounds very TLC like.

10 - Capturing Mr. Silk: Lots of bassoon and clarinet with pizzicato supporting and some low piano touches. Very jazzy in nature. especially when the accordion comes in.

11 - The Flight To Bagghar: Bassoon and other low woodwinds seem to be the main musical voice JW wanted for this. They feature heavily in this sprightly number. The Brass seems to take a back-seat. Adventurous without going into big, Indiana Jones like statements of heroism.

12 - The Milanese Nightingale: faux classical music, very romantic in nature, interrupted by something very mock French sounding. A bit Golden Age Hollywood.

13 - Presenting Bianca Castafiore: real classical music this time. With some very annoying opera singing.

:whistle:

Sorry Jay, I got the various threads mixed up in a slew of excitement :)

Can't wait to listen to it... but I'm still resisting listening to any new samples and previews. I hope Amazon will start shipping a few days earlier than Oct 24.

That was simply AMAZING! All the tracks seemed brilliant, specially Sir Francis and the Unicorn. Wow!

And that ending(s) to The Adventure Continues! Audiences will be clapping early if he ever performs this phenomenal piece live!

I wonder if he'll have to play it at a slower tempo in some places, depending on the orchestra. And it will surely be hard to assemble a team that can play Snowy's Theme satisfactorily too!

Tremendous music! That's all I'm going to say. Thanks Erik for your quick assembly of this programme! It is a delight.

Oh my God, I just started to listen to it and this sounds terrific. Not so much the opening cue, although I am sure I am going to like it, but the Snowy's Theme is brilliant, so is the next cue (I didn't catch the name).

EDIT: Sir Francis and the Unicorn = shivers. Dear God, I almost teared up, it was so grand.

I had the same experience with Sir Francis and the Unicorn track. It was just magical and grand in the way only John Williams in full stride can be.

I'm beginning to think that track might actually be a concert arrangement.

Sir Francis and the Unicorn? Or Buckbeaks Flight?

Interesting if Sir Francis and the Unicorn is a concert arrangement. It certainly has a musical dramaturgy worth of an epic scene.

Williams could create such an awesome symphonic suite from this score for the concert hall. And yes; that would include Sir Francis And The Unicorn.

Let's put it this way: it's been worth the wait. And I just heard four tracks from the score. Yeah, it is better than KOTCS (and I'm a fan of that score). Unlike that score, this one has a sense of wonder.

Karol

Let's put it this way: it's been worth the wait. And I just heard four tracks from the score. Yeah, it is better than KOTCS (and I'm a fan of that score). Unlike that score, this one has a sense of wonder.

Karol

I would add that there is a enormous sense of play, Williams really having fun, to be heard in the music. The color, the details in orchestration, the sheer virtuosity of the music. To hear an old fashioned orchestral adventure score with so much heart, sprightly spirit and yes the John Williams sound is really like a glass of water after a long drought.

Man, listening to this thing is almost surreal - after so many years of RC dreck, I mean. It's as if I'm listening to a master composer from a hundred years ago, a newly discovered work long thought lost. The sophistication and outright brilliance of this music just seems so damn beyond a lowly movie.

If it wasn't for the fact that this is a Spielberg movie scored by John Williams I'd have laughed at anyone who asked me to believe this is music for a cartoon.

What, though, this score highlights to me most is this: MV and RC have destroyed this once fascinating art form.

I'm still resisting to the temptation... I want to listen to the full album in awe. I don't know if I'll resist more, though! Especially after reading all these enthusiastic comments.

Yeah I'm going to resist as well. The CD will be here in a week anyway, and I want to listen to it for the first time on my stereo and in proper fashion!

Argh shit, Snowy's Theme is fucking brilliant. Can't wait till I can hum it from start to finish. It'll be difficult, but if can do Main Title: South America, I can do this.

Oh and the first 8 seconds of Sir Francis and the Unicorn > movie scores of the last five years.

Pursuit of the Falcon sounds a bit like AOTC (Jango Fett) and some KOTCS, Lovin' the brass fanfares, I think I picked up on a theme at 3:38.

The Return of John Williams indeed.

I hear all kinds of old school in this. So many harks back to the maestro's filmic past. Contemporary stylings accepted (and welcomed), it's like... like stepping back into the eighties. I mean it. Conrad was right, bless him.

This is NOT Indiana Jones IV all over again. Example:

The opening bars of The Secret of the Scrolls just made the hairs on my arms stand up.

I still don't get all the hate Indy 4 score is getting as I've been listening to it regularly over the past 3,5 years. But yes, this one is even better. But then again it has a benefit of not being a third sequel after 20 years.

Karol

Pursuit of the Falcon sounds a bit like AOTC (Jango Fett) and some KOTCS, Lovin; the brass fanfares, I think I picked up on a theme at 3:38.

That's Tintin's Theme

The Return of John Williams indeed.

This is NOT Indiana Jones IV all over again.

Italic, CAPS and bold...? Thought you didn't like those. ;)

It's strange that from the tracks I've heard, and I would believe in all the score, Tintin's theme is never completed like other themes, eg. indiana jones theme.

Structurally speaking for the music theorists, is like the first half of a "sentence" with the 2 renditions of the basic idea which constitute the presentation, but we never hear the continuation.