Quartet Announces Heidi by John Williams!

Jay

935392_458530740900599_432085371_n.jpg

HEIDI

John Williams

The 1968 television adaptation of Johanna Spyri’s classic novel Heidi, from Omnibus Productions and NBC, boasted many impressive names. Director Delbert Mann (Marty) was an Academy Award and Palme d’Or winning filmmaker. Writer Earl Hamner Jr. was a respected television scribe, who would go on to create The Waltons. The prestigious cast included Sir Michael Redgrave, Maximilian Schell and Jean Simmons, with Jennifer Edwards (daughter of director Blake Edwards) making her acting debut in the title role. And vitally, the film’s magnificent symphonic score was by an up-and-coming composer named John Williams.

For most of the 1950s and ’60s, Williams (billed as Johnny) was best known for jazz, genre television, and his spirited comedy scores for films like Mann’s 1967 caper Fitzwilly. Heidi was one of the first motion pictures to carry the more formal “John Williams” credit, and represents one of the composer’s earliest opportunities to show what he could do with a large-scale dramatic film. Heidi’s soulful heroine, coupled with the majestic backdrop of the Swiss Alps, led Williams to craft a score of remarkable power and beauty. Anchored by a lyrical main theme, his music showcases many of the elements that would come to define his signature sound: soaring French horns; dynamic counterlines; rich harmonies; and playful, intricate scherzos. The score even features a stunning early example of Williams’ religioso writing, for the film’s inspirational climax. Accordingly, Heidi earned Williams his first Emmy Award, for Outstanding Achievement in Musical Composition.

As Heidi was a joint production with Studio Hamburg, Williams recorded his score in Germany with members of the Hamburg Opera. He later recorded supplemental album tracks at CTS Studios in London (including the song “A Place of My Own,” with lyrics by Rod McKuen). Music from both sessions was combined with narration and released on LP in 1968 by Capitol Records. Until now, none of this material has been authorized for re-release by Capitol or rights-holder EMI. Quartet Records is proud to present the first fully licensed CD of Heidi, presenting all of the material from the original film tracks that is known to survive, adding bonus tracks from the London session, and finishing with the complete narrated album program. The original score has been newly remastered for improved sound, carefully sequenced for ideal listening, and several cues have been restored to their original length (with looped material removed). With a 16-page full-color booklet that includes an essay and detailed cue analysis by film music writer John Takis, this important early John Williams score can now be appreciated and enjoyed like never before.

THE SCORE

01. Main Title and Overture (2:21)

02. A New Dimension (3:10)

03. A Place of My Own (2:01)

04. The Alm (3:37)

05. Meditation (2:20)

06. Reflections I (1:58)

07. Reflections II (3:58)

08. The Nature of Things (1:23)

09. The Old Man and the Child (2:25)

10. The Sleeping Child (3:27)

11. Shadows (3:51)

12. The Miracle (3:47)

BONUS TRACKS

13. Love Theme from “Heidi” (2:53)

14. A Place of My Own (Heidi’s Theme) (2:38) Carri Chase, vocal

THE ORIGINAL ALBUM

15. Main Title and Overture (2:17) John Williams and Orchestra

16. The Old Man and the Child (2:47) Sir Michael Redgrave

17. A Place of My Own (3:32) Sir Michael Redgrave, Jennifer Edwards

18. The Alm (3:36) Jennifer Edwards

19. The Sleeping Child (2:22) Sir Michael Redgrave

20. Meditation (2:23) Sir Michael Redgrave, Jennifer Edwards

21. A Place of My Own (Heidi’s Theme) (2:37) Carri Chase, vocal

22. Shadows (3:47) Sir Michael Redgrave

23. Reflections (4:15) Jennifer Edwards

24. A New Dimension (1:52) Sir Michael Redgrave, Jennifer Edwards

25. The Nature of Things (2:20) Sir Michael Redgrave

26. Love Theme from “Heidi” (2:50)* John Williams and Orchestra

27. The Miracle (2:52) Sir Michael Redgrave

28. Finale and End Title (1:01) Sir Michael Redgrave

Total Disc Time: 79:52 (Stereo)

Limited Collector’s Edition of 1500 units.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=458530740900599&set=a.322124201207921.76750.322120894541585&type=1

http://www.quartetrecords.com/heidi.html

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/24998/

http://www.moviemusic.com/soundtrack/M08876/heidi/

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8125/.f

Basically a bunch of cues were taken from the recording sessions as candidates for an LP release. Those cues were then chopped up a bit, faded out and in in spots, and looped in spots in order to accommodate the dialogue they wanted to play over the music. Additionally, 2 completely new tracks were recorded in London for use on the LP (tracks 13 and 14 of the new Quartet CD)

For the Label X CD, they went back to those original selected cues and presented them without the dialogue or fade-outs, etc, but the looping was still retained.

So this now presents all known surviving film tracks (Basically the contents of the Label X CD) in better sound than ever before, and without looping. They have been re-arranged into a more chronological order as well.

So it technically has more music than the official LP, and pretty much the same content as the Label X CD, except it's now in better sound quality, and legal!

HUGE CONGRATULATIONS are in order to Mr. John Takis for not only his FIRST JOHN WILLIAMS liner notes, but also his first CO-PRODUCER credit!

:john::cheer::ola:

Congratulations my friend!

BTW, stayed tuned to JWFan.com for some exclusive content soon!

still, I am confused.

here's the German cd tracks:

(those that are deleted with a line are in the new release)

where are the tracks in red in the new release?

1. Main Title (02:18)
2. Arrival (02:28) (is this track 2 from new release?)
3. The Alm (03:35)
4. The Old Man And The Child (03:24) (i assume this is track 9 of the new release with loops)
5. Dancers In The Night (Love Theme) (02:19) ( this is track 8 from new release with loops)
6. The Sleeping Child (03:25)
7. Meditation (02:18)
8. Shadows (03:49)
9. Reflections (03:56)
10. Alone In Zurich (01:57) (I assume this is Reflections I)
11. Love Theme (02:51)
12. The Miracle (03:45)
13. Finale (03:08) (there seems to be a minute of it with narration in the new release? or maybe this is track 2 from new release?)
14. A Place Of My Own (Vocal) (02:37

HUGE CONGRATULATIONS are in order to Mr. John Takis for not only his FIRST JOHN WILLIAMS liner notes, but also his first CO-PRODUCER credit!

:john::cheer::ola:

Congratulations my friend!

BTW, stayed tuned to JWFan.com for some exclusive content soon!

Indeed! Congratulations John :)

I'm pleased with my Label X release, but it's nice to see this get a release again -- it's been hard to find for many years, so now this little underrated gem can be enjoyed by more people again without paying through the nose for it.

It already IS up for sale!

filmmusic, everything from the Label X CD is on the new Quartet CD, there is nothing missing

Wonderful, wonderful news! :)

And congratulations to John Takis as well on his producer credit and first JW score liner notes!

I wonder when this will be up on SAE.

I guess the Label X CD is now considered illegal

Until now, none of this material has been authorized for re-release by Capitol or rights-holder EMI. Quartet Records is proud to present the first fully licensed CD of Heidi

I'm sure it was in some sort of grey area, made with the cooperation of the german production company that produced the film.... they just apparently didn't seek out the proper licensing from Capitol, who released the LP. You need to do that.

Ordered (from Quartet Records)!

Quote:

"...Williams recorded his score in Germany with members of the Hamburg Opera. He later recorded supplemental album tracks at CTS Studios in London..."

Why is Sir Michael Redgrave credited if JW conducted it?

Sir Michael Redgrave's narrator voice is featured on the tracks.

The samples sound very good to my ears. :)

This is turning out a pretty awesome spring for JW fans! :)

Oh another more obsessive note, does anyone know how much music there is all in all in the film and how much there is missing?

Jurassic Park, Fury, Rosewood, Heidi, Missouri Breaks... what's next!

(I honestly have no idea!)

Oh another more obsessive note, does anyone know how much music there is all in all in the film and how much there is missing?

About 20 minutes is lost to the ages (Unless it turns up in someone's basement someday)

After listening to the samples I was reminded once again how beautiful score this is. It already has a very assured and strong sound that is found in Williams' later dramatic works and contains lovely melodicism to it.

filmmusic, everything from the Label X CD is on the new Quartet CD, there is nothing missing

Well, can you find me the Arrival and the 3 minute Finale (without any narration)?

This is great news. I am still reeling from the release of the new Rosewood edition. Ultimately, a related question: any news on whether we can expect Rounds to be recorded and released in the near future ?

JC

PS: Check out Moviescope magazine, issue 34, for my interview with Roger Guyett at ILM about their work on Star Trek Into Darkness.

Well, can you find me the Arrival and the 3 minute Finale (without any narration)?

Label X's "Arrival" is the first "A Place of My Own" (Track 3) on Quartet's release. Label X's "Finale" is actually "A New Dimension" (Track 2) -- and actually contains the main title, not the finale!

Label X's "Arrival" is the first "A Place of My Own" (Track 3) on Quartet's release. Label X's "Finale" is actually "A New Dimension" (Track 2) -- and actually contains the main title, not the finale!

Oh, thank you very much for the clarification! :)

Thank you too! ;)

Eiger Sanction, please!

The samples sound lovely! The Main Titles specially impressed me. Sounds like a mix between a swashbuckling and an american western. Great stuff!

Alright, I ordered it now from SAE because it's limited to 1500. I wish I could have waited to combine it with Rosewood and Missouri Breaks

Mark, Bruce Kimmel just obtained the license to Missouri Breaks yesterday. It could take anywhere from 4 months to 4 years for the final product to come out.

Ordered. I didn't even listen to the sound clips :)

And I'll have to get Rosewood and Jane Eyre on my shopping list. The latter has been up on LLL for ages, and I'm constantly checking if it's still in stock. Would be heartbroken if it went OOP in the meantime :|

I honestly don't believe it, you always know pretty much in advance. I envy you! :angry:

Just ordered it, although I'd like to order with Rosewood, but since it's only 1500 copies, better not take risks

4 pages from the booklet - including a glimpse at John Takis' liner notes - as well as a complete list of the "sub-track-titles" the team came up with to label the individual cues within tracks (Williams original cue titles are unknown) are now EXCLUSIVELY available on the main page of JWFAN.COM

http://www.jwfan.com/?p=5592

4 pages from the booklet - including a glimpse at John Takis' liner notes - as well as a complete list of the "sub-track-titles" the team came up with to label the individual cues within tracks (Williams original cue titles are unknown) are now EXCLUSIVELY available on the main page of JWFAN.COM

http://www.jwfan.com/?p=5592

Couldn't they just, y'know, ask him?

I doubt Williams would know them either :)

So all that part of the paper work (and probably sheet music as well) is gone?

Do we know when Williams finally took Herrmann's advice and started to store copies of his written scores at home? Must have been quite a while after Jane Eyre, which he cited as the sad example of how the studios were summarily emptying storage spaces of sheet music, which was considered a fire hazard, so he had to compile the suite from that score by ear, listening to the LP.