Quartet Announces Heidi by John Williams!

Jay

It sounds nice but the narration tracks from the original album are quite painful to listen to.

Yeah, the second part of the album is kind of redundant.

Karol

Listening now. I didn't remember how lovely this score is. Very lyrical and warming. There's also a Germanic, kind of "Mahler-lite" sound in the performance, given the fact it was recorded in Hamburg with members of the Hamburg Opera. It gives the music a very European sound which I like and quite different from the usual brash symphonic sound JW loves so much.

Sound quality is very good and John Takis' notes are great. Get it if you haven't already!

I miss being able to buy these in stores.

True. It's the rare soundtrack these days that I happen to buy from a regular brick-and-mortar store. And of course none of the specialty label ones. There was a special kind of excitement in browsing a soundtrack section in a store and making wonderful finds. And this was just 5-8 years ago.

I still by new OST's in stores

I try to get the new JW scores from stores (I did so with Tintin and Lincoln) but if the album is delayed to be released alongside the film and the film opens here several months later than in US, I usually go for overseas online stores to get the CD sooner (e.g. War Horse). Not even JWs name isn't a sure fire guarantee that the OST will appear on the shelves here.

I actually very much enjoyed the second part of the album with the narration (and this is from someone that loathes the narration on the US version of the Angela's Ashes album). Ever since I got the old Label X CD years ago I had been intrigued to hear the version with narration. It's very nicely done and I must admit to getting quite caught up in the story, although I was not too puerile to snigger when I heard grandfather's line "It was the next day when I took Heidi up the alm" in the Meditations track. I am so sorry.

Listened to it again. Apart from the very opening which is a bit schmaltzy and cliche in Hollywood's best (or worst) tradition, the rest of the music has a wonderful intimate feel. 40 minute is just about an ideal length for a score like this. I really enjoy it.

I have yet to listen to the album version.

Karol

Got my CD a couple of days back, and... What a score! Any JW fan who didn't order this is missing out! The score is melodical and easy going without being any less complex than other scores that handles more "heavy" themes.

As a fan of John's more lyrical pieces (as the 'Journey To The Island'-theme from 'JP' (well, the beginning at least - 'Heidi' is not quite as bombastic) or the subtle magic from 'The Flying Sequence' from 'Superman') this score immediately found a place in my heart.

In my mind it seems the origin for that "Williams-sound" and you can definitely hear it's the same man who wrote this who would go on to write 'Close Encounters' (again, I'm talking about the more "sweet" parts - for example the sweeping strings from 'End Titles'. The brooding parts - not so much), and 'Empire Of The Sun'. There are traces of scores he has yet to write all over this album. It's fantastic.

'Heidi' - like 'E.T.' or even 'Star Wars' - is worth listening to again and again!

'Heidi' - like 'E.T.' or even 'Star Wars' - is worth listening to again and again!

Oh definitely. Such a lovely score. :)

I just hope it's a significant improvement over the Label X since I don't give a crap if it's considered a booteg by some people

I hope someone with both can say something on that matter of soundquality. To me the new release sounds crisp and clean but it is not as full-bodied as Williams' grander works but on the other hand the score is often small and intimate.

I just hope it's a significant improvement over the Label X since I don't give a crap if it's considered a booteg by some people

Improved sound, a more sensible track sequence (IMHO) -- and we've corrected the looped passages that are still present on the Label X CD. Factor in the addition of the original LP program and the more substantial liner notes (ahem) and I hope you'll be pleased. :-)

Improved sound, a more sensible track sequence (IMHO) -- and we've corrected the looped passages that are still present on the Label X CD. Factor in the addition of the original LP program and the more substantial liner notes (ahem) and I hope you'll be pleased. :-)

Plus this is the first official CD release of the score. Excellent job all around John! The liner notes were a fascinating read. :thumbup:

I hope someone with both can say something on that matter of soundquality. To me the new release sounds crisp and clean but it is not as full-bodied as Williams' grander works but on the other hand the score is often small and intimate.

Sound is similar to the old release in character, but clearly better, more full-bodied. Some strong tape hiss in tracks like The Miracle, but I can live with that.

For me it sounds fine, much better than I expected from a recording of its time.

Karol

After a few listens I concur.

I like this score more and more with each listen and I can even enjoy the original "story album", which has been quite nicely done. It is actually nice to get both on this CD. The narration nicely clarifies Williams' musical narrative for a person who has not seen the film.

I received my copy a few days ago, but just today did I had the time to listen to it.

This is a really wonderful score, one that I really fell in love with when I recently transfered my old LP into CD -- a process which took me some months of going back and forth until I was pleased with the transfer.

The woodwind writing is just amazing and the new Quartet release brings new clarity to it all. As opposed to most, I do enjoy the old LP program with narration, though I couldn't be happier with superior sound on the score tracks.

I still haven't had the time to read the liner notes, but I'm sure they will be just perfect... in fact, can't wait to go through them, after dinner tonight.

So, my heartfelt congratulations to John and to everyone at Quartet, for a job wonderfully well done!

Yes, I'm glad they did the score to my attention (kudos to ever helpful notes by John Takis as well). For me it is a completely "new" work and I've never heard it before. So far I've listened to it 5 times and that's a good sign. The score is not going to get forgotten.

Karol

A question to Mr. Takis: How much of the original score does this new release contain? I mean that is there a lot of material in the film itself compared to the material presented on the OST.

Mine arrived yesterday!

Inky the Heidi CD contains roughly forty minutes of a roughly sixty minute complete score. Mr. Takis can correct me if I'm wrong.

According to my rough calculations, Williams composed just shy of 54 minutes that were intended for use in the film. (I'm treating the Overture as being intended for use in full, even though that may not have been the case, and I'm not counting tracked music.) If you include alternates -- and there are a few on the Quartet CD -- that number jumps to around 57 minutes. Of that, 35 minutes are on the Quartet CD -- or slightly less than 2/3 of the score. So we are missing around 20 minutes of material, give or take. Possibly a little more, if there are more alternates we don't know about. Sadly, the original untouched recording sessions for HEIDI are not known to have survived.

(By the way, these numbers do NOT take into account the two album tracks that were recorded at CTS. Those were not intended for the film, but they do add another 5:42 of unique material to the release.)

Thanks for the answer John!

Heidi's original recording sessions suffered then the same fate as Jane Eyre's, i.e. lost to us for good. :(

But I am glad we have the original albums at least to enjoy. Again congratulations on the Heidi release. Top notch on all departments.

I really like the narration segments. Like Incanus said, It helps frame the story the music tells for a film that I'll likely never take the time to watch. For a film score fan who is more interested in the composer's work than the film for which it is written, it serves almost as audio- liner notes, if that makes sense.

I wish more of these style story recordings exist. For example, I'll probably never sit down to watch Jane Eyre, but if there was a narrated recording like this, it would help me understand the context of the score a little better.

This is a fun release.

I really like the narration segments. Like Incanus said, It helps frame the story the music tells for a film that I'll likely never take the time to watch. For a film score fan who is more interested in the composer's work than the film for which it is written, it serves almost as audio- liner notes, if that makes sense.

I wish more of these style story recordings exist. For example, I'll probably never sit down to watch Jane Eyre, but if there was a narrated recording like this, it would help me understand the context of the score a little better.

If you change your mind, Heidi is available on Hulu (in the US, anyway).

Funny you should mention Jane Eyre, Hedji, because I saw the version scored by Williams on DVD in a Walmart checkout once for $2. I didn't buy it but I'm sure it'll pop up again.

The movie Jane Eyre is actually quite good, by tv movie standards. The DVD transfer is atrocious, so $2 sounds about right, but you should pick it up if you see it again.

There are some editions of Jane Eyre that are incomplete—and not like whole scenes cut out, but rather random chunks of footage missing. That version is on YouTube. There's a new edition that just came out on MOD DVD and on Amazon Prime, but I haven't purchased it yet to see if it's complete. If any Prime member wants to compare it, here's one of the more obvious jumpcuts.

This new release is available only on DVD-R format, so I'm guessing is the same crappy transfer... I wish this was properly remastered. I would surely get such a release.

At least I paid only 72 cents for my copy.

The movie Jane Eyre is actually quite good, by tv movie standards. The DVD transfer is atrocious, so $2 sounds about right, but you should pick it up if you see it again.

I think the film is pretty bad, especially compared to -- say -- the latest film version by Cary Fukanaga. But the score is one of the best JANE EYREs I've heard (even compared to Herrmann's), and York & Scott are OK in the lead roles. And of course, the quality of the actual film footage is atrocious. It deserves to be cleaned up, if only to hear Williams' score shine in a better context.

There are some editions of Jane Eyre that are incomplete—and not like whole scenes cut out, but rather random chunks of footage missing. That version is on YouTube. There's a new edition that just came out on MOD DVD and on Amazon Prime, but I haven't purchased it yet to see if it's complete. If any Prime member wants to compare it, here's one of the more obvious jumpcuts.

I just checked out the Prime version, looks like that scene is intact.

So the Label X CD is a bootleg??? I bought it in Tower Records in Piccadilly Circus back in the mid 90s so I assumed it was official! (Mind you, I bought the two Tsunami CDs there too and they are generally considered to be of questionable legality these days, aren't they?) So who conductied Heidi? According to the Label X CD Eberhard Soblick conducted the orchestra, but the new Quartet release states "Composed and Conducted by John Williams" on the cover.

So the Label X CD is a bootleg??? I bought it in Tower Records in Piccadilly Circus back in the mid 90s so I assumed it was official! (Mind you, I bought the two Tsunami CDs there too and they are generally considered to be of questionable legality these days, aren't they?) So who conductied Heidi? According to the Label X CD Eberhard Soblick conducted the orchestra, but the new Quartet release states "Composed and Conducted by John Williams" on the cover.

No, it is not a bootleg, but it was produced in Germany where other copyright rules apply.

No, it is not a bootleg, but it was produced in Germany where other copyright rules apply.

The Label X CD was apparently produced in conjunction with Studio Hamburg, who helped finance the film and gave it theatrical distribution in Germany. Label X did not, however, license the recordings from Capitol Records or EMI. It may have been within the letter of German copyright law (or maybe not; I'm no lawyer), but from an international perspective it was dubious. Furthermore, I would argue that the treatment of the music left something to be desired. Nothing was done to address the looped passages (which were not done for musical reasons, but to conform to dialogue), and in my opinion the track sequence was also wanting in terms of musical flow. I don't wish to offend anyone who was happy with this approach, but I was not satisfied.

As far as Eberhard Soblick goes, consider that John Williams is credited as the sole conductor in the film itself, and John Williams is credited as the sole conductor on the original Capitol Records LP. I am unwilling to accept the Label X CD as good evidence to the contrary, given the presence of major errors throughout their release. For example: Label X erroneously credits CBS rather than NBC; they give a recording date of 1967, when I have documents that indicate 1968; and they use the "Johnny Williams" credit, when both the film and original album use "John Williams." Most objectionably, they make NO mention of the fact that, in addition to the Hamburg material, their release includes tracks that were recorded by Williams at CTS Studios in London (and without crediting the vocalist).

These are some of the reasons I hope that Williams fans who already have the Label X CD in their collections will consider purchasing the Quartet Records release -- if the improved sound were not motive enough, of course!

Listened to it again last night. I'm really enjoying this disc and that's also thanks to your contribution Mr Takis.

It seems there are 74 copies left, folks! If you like stuff like Jane Eyre, it's a no-brainer.

Karol