The Terminal - Complete and Chronological

Jay

The Bad News: The Terminal OST is WAYYY out of chronological order. In fact, its probably William's most non-chronological OST ever.

The Worse News: It doesn't even contain the whole score! As near as I can tell, the full score is 21 cues (totaling about 57 minutes). The album only gives us 9 of those cues plus partial versions of 4 others (for a total of about 46 minutes). The rest of the album is filled out with two concert arrangements, a piece of source music, and some unknown music. Even with all that other stuff on there, though, there STILL would have been plenty of room to put the entire score on if they had bothered!

Anyway, here's the complete cue list:

COMPLETE CUE LIST    
Title Length Availability
01. Searching for a Television 3:16 Unreleased
02. Viktor's First Day 0:57 Unreleased
03. Refusing to Escape 3:01 CD Track 08
04. Finding Coins 2:37 CD Track 12b (1:24-end)
05. Learning to Read 1:29 Unreleased (0:05) + CD Track 12a (0:00-1:24)
06. Officer Torres 5:00 CD Track 06a (0:00-3:50) + Unreleased (1:10)
07. Looking for Work (Film Version) 1:47 Unreleased
08. Viktor & Amelia 1:38 Unreleased
09. A Legend is Born 3:09 Unreleased (1:09) + CD Track 03a (0:00-2:00)
10. Preparing for Dinner 1:35 Unreleased
11. Dinner with Amelia 8:02 CD Track 02
12. Building the Fountain 2:02 Unreleased
13. The Wedding of Officer Torres 1:11 CD Track 06b (3:50-end)
14. Amelia Confronts Viktor 1:10 Unreleased
15. The Fountain Scene (Film Version) 5:18 Unreleased
16. Goodbye Amelia 0:57 CD Track 09b (0:44-end)
17. Gupta's Deliverance 1:32 Unreleased (0:17) + CD Track 11a (0:00-1:18)
18. Viktor Decides to Leave 1:20 CD Track 04a (0:00-1:20)
19. Viktor is Free 3:23 CD Track 04b (1:20-end)
20. Finale & End Credits (Part 1) 5:05 CD Track 13
21. End Credits (Part 2) 2:47 CD Track 14
ALTERNATE VERSIONS    
Looking for Work 3:17 CD Track 10
The Fountain Scene 5:33 CD Track 05
CONCERT ARRANGEMENTS    
The Tale of Viktor Navorski 4:12 CD Track 01
Jazz Autographs 3:45 CD Track 07
SOURCE MUSIC    
Krakozhia National Anthem 0:44 CD Track 09a (0:00-0:44)
NOT IN FILM    
Unknown 1:16 CD Track 03b (2:00-end)
Unknown 2:00

CD Track 11b (1:18-end)

The good news: Its really easy to make yourself a chronological album. Even the most novice WAV editors should be able to do it and have it sound good. A chronological album should look like this (keeping the unknown music where it is and placing the concert arrangements and source music where they play best):

ALBUM IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER    
01. The Tale of Viktor Navorski 4:12 CD Track 01
02. Krakozhia National Anthem 0:44 CD Track 09a (0:00-0:44)
03. Refusing to Escape 3:01 CD Track 08
04. Finding Coins 2:37 CD Track 12b (1:24-end)
05. Learning to Read 1:25 CD Track 12a (0:00-1:24)
06. Officer Torres 3:50 CD Track 06a (0:00-3:50)
07. Looking for Work (Alternate) 3:17 CD Track 10
08. A Legend is Born 3:16 CD Track 03
09. Dinner with Amelia 8:02 CD Track 02
10. The Wedding of Officer Torres 1:11 CD Track 06b (3:50-end)
11. The Fountain Scene (Alternate) 5:33 CD Track 05
12. Goodbye Amelia 0:57 CD Track 09b (0:44-end)
13. Gupta's Deliverance 3:18 CD Track 11
14. Viktor & His Friends 4:43 CD Track 04
15. Jazz Autographs 3:45 CD Track 07
16. Finale & End Credits (Part 1) 5:05 CD Track 13
17. End Credits (Part 2) 2:47 CD Track 14

If you don't want to edit tracks and just want a mostly chronological album, do this:

RECOMMENDED CD LISTENING ORDER: 1 - 8 - 12 - 10 - 3 - 2 - 6 - 5 - 9 - 11 - 4 - 7 - 13 - 14

NOTES ON THE ALBUM TRACKS:

Track 01 - The Tale of Viktor Navorski 4:12

A concert arrangement of Viktor's Theme.

Track 02 - Dinner with Amelia 8:02

Covers the entire dinner scene. Contains the Love Theme.

Track 03 - A Legend is Born 3:16

[0:00-2:00] The workers of the airport terminal pass around copies of Viktor's photocopied hand. Viktor's Theme is used.

[2:00-end] I don't know what this music is, but it could be "Preparing for Dinner"... except that its 20 seconds shorter. Perhaps the scene was lengthened after Williams scored it so they just repeated portions of the middle of the cue to pad it out? That's what it sounds like to me anyway, but I'm not completely sure yet. Regardless, its just Viktor's Theme again.

Track 04 - Viktor And His Friends 4:43

[0:00-1:20] After seeing Gupta's sacrifice, Viktor marches to the front door as the terminal workers follow.

[1:20-end] Viktor walks through the front door into New York. The Love Theme is heard as he sees Amelia outside, then Viktor's Theme is used as he gets in the cab and Dixon runs outside.

Track 05 - The Fountain Scene 5:33

Just like the title says. Covers Viktor's unvailing of his home made fountain and his and Amelia's entire conversation about his Planter's can. The first 2:40 of the cue on the album is identical to the film version. The last minute or so is also the same. It looks like Spielberg asked Williams to rescore the middle after the OST had already been constructed. The Love Theme is used.

Track 06 - The Wedding of Officer Torres 5:01

[0:00-3:50] Viktor talks to Officer Torres to help out Enrique.

[3:50-end] The wedding of Torres and Enrique.

Track 07 - Jazz Autographs 3:45

A concert arrangement containing the Love Theme.

Track 08 - Refusing to Escape 3:01

Dixon gives Viktor a 5 minute window to escape through the front door. After realizing he is on the security cameras, he chooses not to escape and tells Dixon "I wait!" as his theme plays.

Track 09 - Krakozhia National Anthem & Homesickness 1:49

[0:00-0:44] The Krakozhia National Anthem. The first 20 seconds of this is used a source music on televisions twice in the beginning of the film.

[0:44-end] Amelia says goodbye to Viktor. Not sure why its titled "Homesickness"

Track 10 - Looking for Work 3:17

It looks like this is William's original plan for the cue (It still lines up with the movie). It starts when Viktor has just been told how much Canneloni costs and continues through his search for a job, his long wait for the call-back from the Discovery Store guy, and his arrival at the abandoned gate where he gets the idea to paint the wall and begins scraping. It is based around the same theme that "Officer Torres" is. The entire cue ended up being dropped from the film. Williams wrote a new cue based on Viktor's Theme to cover the job search, but the film contains no music during his phone call with Discovery Store guy and his walk into the abandoned gate.

Track 11 - Gupta's Deliverance 3:18

[0:00-1:18] Just like the title says.

[1:19-end] I don't know what this music is. Perhaps this is material purposely created for the OST to flesh out the ideas from the film cue?

Track 12 - Finding Coins And Learning to Read 4:02

[0:00-1:24] Learning to Read. Contains Viktor's Theme.

[1:24-end] Finding Coins. Contains Viktor's Theme.

Track 13 - "Destiny"..."Canneloni"... And The Tale of Viktor Navorski Reprise 5:05

This track is horribly titled. Its just the final scene in the movie and the first half of the end credits. Contains the Love Theme and Viktor's Theme.

Track 14 - A Happy Navorski Ending! 2:47

The second half of the end credits. Contains the Love Theme.

Thank you very much. I am still waiting for my cd to arrive. This is slightly off topic, but could someone please explain the concept source music ? For example in this case the Karkozhia National Anthem. How/Why is it source music? Did Williams compose it? If he did, is source music always composed by the composer, or can it be something compeletelly different, like some existing pop song etc.

Thanks,

-Snowster

Snowster, source music is simply music in a movie that comes from some on-screen source like a radio or television. It can be composed by the film's composer or it can be a pop song or anything really.

In the case of The Terminal, Williams composed a piece called the Krakozhia National Anthem that is used twice in the movie under news reports about Krakozhia playing on televisions in the terminal.

The Bad News:  The Terminal OST is WAYYY out of chronological order.  In fact, its probably William's most non-chronological OST ever.

The Worse News: It doesn't even contain the whole score!  As near as I can tell, the full score is 21 cues (totaling about 57 minutes).  The album only gives us 9 of those cues plus partial versions of 4 others (for a total of about 46 minutes).  The rest of the album is filled out with two concert arrangements, a piece of source music, and some unknown music.   Even with all that other stuff on there, though, there STILL would have been plenty of room to put the entire score on if they had bothered!  

Yes,I noticed the album was way out of order.But that is the LEAST problem with an OST these days IMO.

There's some unreleased music,I noticed Searching for Television...

BUT...

In this case,only minor underscore was ommited and no "great moment" highlights of the score were left off the album,so I wasn't shaking my head in disgust while watching the movie,and I'm not in a real hurry of hunting down pirated MP3's of what's missing.This is a very different case from PoA.

One other thing,Looking for Work (album version)is one of my favourite parts of the c.d.I wonder why they re-scored that.

BTW,nice analysis,I figure no one else would have done it.

K.M.

Wow, thanx a lot! It's freakish the way some people could chart this so specificaly and accurately.

Not if the film is at your disposal.

Don't you have that backwards?

Yup I'd agree with you King Mark - All of the important stuff did make it to the OST. Its just annoying that with an 80 minute capacity, they easily could have fit on the entire score plus the bonuses if they had wanted.

king mark said:
Looking for Work (album version)is one of my favourite parts of the c.d.I wonder why they re-scored that.

I guess they wanted to make the scene funnier by just running through Viktor's Theme again, and felt the telephone call and the scene after it didn't need score. *shrug*

king mark said:
BTW,nice analysis,I figure no one else would have done it.

Haha, I don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing. Luckily John doesn't have any more films on his platter for the near future so I can relax until Ep3 probably :devil:

Kendal_Ozzel said:

Don't you have that backwards?

Nope. The album presents those 2 cues in the reverse order of how they happen in the film.

Nope.  The album presents those 2 cues in the reverse order of how they happen in the film.

If that's the case, then you need to switch the times.

Looks like somebody's got a case of the Mondays. LOL

-Diskobolus, who still laughs every time he reads aloud Kendal Ozzel's signature

Kendal_Ozzel said:
Jason6285 said:
Nope.  The album presents those 2 cues in the reverse order of how they happen in the film.

If that's the case, then you need to switch the times.

No, I don't. I didn't make any mistakes. Are you sure you're reading my post properly?

Then you must be saying that the track is mislabeled on the CD.

You are saying that the first part of the track is "Learning to Read" and the second part is "Finding Coins." The CD implies that the first part is "Finding Coins" and the last part is "Learning to Read." Which is it?

I'm not trying to argue, I just want to get this straight. :)

Kendal_Ozzel said:
Then you must be saying that the track is mislabeled on the CD.

You are saying that the first part of the track is \"Learning to Read\" and the second part is \"Finding Coins.\" The CD implies that the first part is \"Finding Coins\" and the last part is \"Learning to Read.\" Which is it?

I'm not trying to argue, I just want to get this straight. :)

Yes, the title of the track on the album is wrong. It is titled "Finding Coins and Learning to Read" but it presents the "Learning to Read' music first and THEN the "Finding Coins" music. I thought I made that perfectly clear in my original post.

JoeinAr said:
do you make up the track names?

Yep. When I couldn't use the title of a track on the soundtrack, I just made something up. Its one of my weaknesses, really. Some of the track titles names I came up with for HP POA are pretty bad.

Ah, I've got it now. Thank you. When you said the cues were reversed, I kept thinking that they were labeled correctly, which didn't make any sense. But I have it all straight now. Thank you.

I do apologize for any inconvience. :)

Thanks Jason! I've got the score chronologically on my iPod now.

BTW, somebody needs to add this to the Complete Cue Lists List.

That somebody would be Ricard, I'm sure it's on his list of things to do.

-Diskobolus, who prefers listening to "artsy" scores such as the Terminal in OST-presented order

Kendal_Ozzel said:

You're very welcome.

Kendal_Ozzel said:

Yea, I noticed it wasn't there yet...

What is iPod?

• 13 years later...

@Jay, what's the deal with the alternate music in the film here? Is this just tracked music from the concert arrangement Jazz Autographs? Or is the latter half of that track actually an alternate for the film's climax (Viktor leaving the Terminal)? This moment is underscored differently in the OST track.

I believe the film underwent late reshoots removing CZJ from the jazz performance sequence. I wonder if Williams ended up writing this cue twice?

I just watched the film last night, probably haven't seen it since it came out! Noticed the missing music from the album and now I hope an expanded set is on the cards sometime in the future!

36 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Terminal would have an absolutely suffiscient OST if Searching for a Television was included.:angry:

That was one of the pieces in the film where I went: "it's not on the album, seriously?!" 

No idea what cue you're both talking about -- I'll have to give the film a rewatch so I can see what's missing.

Never struck me as a score in need of expansion. Frustratingly, it's yet another example of Williams being able to fit the entire score on the OST but instead choosing to assemble one of his infamous "listening experiences" that result in many cues being omitted while others are repeated (sometimes the same recording).

It represents the worst of his album assemblies, although fortunately he's grown out of this habit in recent years (and luckily for us he's gone back to writing original credits sequences rather than a dreaded 'Reprise' track of whatever opened the album).

Just watched the scene, indeed a fantastic cue that would've added diversity to the album.

Would have enhanced the listening experience having it as the first cue, IMO. Adds a little bit of darkness to a very lighthearted score.

If you're looking for anything resembling the music heard in the film, the album is truly awful. I'm sure JW had enormous fun arranging and naming the tracks, but as a score fan, I think it's a disaster.

I'm sure he omitted Searching for a Television because it doesn't fit in with the positive tone of the rest of the album.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

@Jay, what's the deal with the alternate music in the film here? Is this just tracked music from the concert arrangement Jazz Autographs? Or is the latter half of that track actually an alternate for the film's climax (Viktor leaving the Terminal)? This moment is underscored differently in the OST track.

I think that if you take the plucky strings off Jazz Autographs you're basically left with the film version of the cue.

I just looked that that scene again, running Soundhound at one part, and it's clear to me that track 4 is wrongly labelled in Jay's analysis. The middle is tracked with Jazz Autographs. (and quite rightly I think - I don't see how JW's original cue was mean to work with such a pivotal point in the film)

23 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I just looked that that scene again, running Soundhound at one part, and it's clear to me that track 4 is wrongly labelled in Jay's analysis. The middle is tracked with Jazz Autographs.

I was confused by the analysis because I think you're right -- the middle section Viktor & His Friends appears to have been replaced with that section of Jazz Autographs in the film (without the plucky strings).

The cue has been trimmed down quite a bit regardless, probably thanks to editorial changes after test screenings. Maybe the original version of the cue just didn't fit well enough after edits.

In any case, the film version is vastly superior (tracked or not) and perfectly fitting for Viktor's very liberating moment of freedom.

I like the OST a lot.  Even if "The Wedding of Officer Torres" is just a wee bit too similar to the Joy Ride theme from CMIYC ;).  Terminal's definitely part of why I love the 2001-05 era of Williams so much.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Terminal's definitely part of why I love the 2001-05 era of Williams so much.

It was also the best and most mature Spielberg era!

3 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I'm sure he omitted Searching for a Television because it doesn't fit in with the positive tone of the rest of the album.

Williams also often excludes experimantally conspicuous or minimalistic pieces. That's why I paniced when I first saw Presumed Innocent and feared that he would omit the second part of "Case Dismissed" on the OST.

Well, I can't possibly answer your question @crumbs about what you hear in that scene, you're quoting an old analysis I made 13 years ago when the film was in theaters, long before I got good at this sort of thing, long before the sheet music leaked, long before we had the DVD/BD to hear the music better, etc.

I haven't seen the film since and don't remember any details about the score as heard in it, unfortunately.

I haven't seen anybody do a breakdown of the CD yet based on the sheet music, sadly.  Here's a list of the cues at least

1M2 War In Krakozhia

2M1 Viktor's Theme

2M1 Rev

2M3 Refusing To Escape

2M5 Finding Coins

2M7 Learning To Read

3M1 A Stallion

3M2 Visitor To Dixon's Office

3M4 Looking For Work

4M3 Napoleon and a Lunch Offer

4M4 Medicine for Goat

5M1&2 A Legend Is Born

5M3 Viktor Buys Clothes

5M4 Amelia

5MA Theme Ending [This is an alternate ending to 5M4, beginning at bar 165 of the original 5M4]

5M6 Engagement and Wedding

6M1 The Fountain Scene

6M2 The Old Boyfriend

6M2 Alt Revised Version

6M4 Gupta and the Plane

7M1 Viktor's Leaving

7M4 Destiny... Cannaloni

End Credits

End Credits Tango Ending [Another alternate ending to 5M4, beginning at bar 36]

End Credits Part II

That's awesome Jay, thanks! Seems like End Credits I and II are the two concert suites (the latter being tracked into 7M1) and the tango ending is OST track 'A Happy Nivorski Ending'.

And gosh that final cue title is awful! Can only assume it's a relic from the original ending of the film (Viktor and Amelia going out into NYC to get cannelloni?)

I just whipped this up quickly, not sure how accurate it is since I can't read sheet music, hopefully someone can help us out

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11z6EfZepoLn-vuSoDnE17u0HZjMiChi_Tokh4c05_Zw/pubhtml

I just did a quick line-up of the clip above and Viktor and His Friends. Timing-wise it just about works if you put a pause just before the brass statement and after the love theme statement.

Music-wise, I can see exactly why SS edited Jazz Autographs in - it's got everything that the original cue lacks completely - a build-up and a nice lead-out from the theme.

Something I also got the impression of from my first viewing all those years ago is how rushed and unpolished the ending feels. The cinematography and editing in the final few shots looks very disorganised, as if SS needed to change at the last minute and asked a second unit to get some shots of a taxi in NYC by tomorrow.

On 7/29/2017 at 5:15 PM, crumbs said:

Just watched the scene, indeed a fantastic cue that would've added diversity to the album.

yes, it's a pity that other music material is omitted, and whole passages are repeated in the ost.

4 hours ago, filmmusic said:

yes, it's a pity that other music material is omitted, and whole passages are repeated in the ost.

I really never understood why Williams always repeated tracks at the end of an album. If it was at least an alternate recording... nevermind, but the same cue copied twice on the same album is not what I consider a proper listening experience.

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I really never understood why Williams always repeated tracks at the end of an album. If it was at least an alternate recording... nevermind, but the same cue copied twice on the same album is not what I consider a proper listening experience.

It's not only that.

eg. track 11: 2.06-end is an exact repeat of the last minute or so from track 5.

Instead of this exact repeat (probably to make the track sound more complete), we could have some unreleased music that is not heard elsewhere, and would make the score sound more complete.

this is what I don't like about Williams albums.

He's concentrated on the individual tracks, and not the whole album.

Fortunately he seems to have grown out of that habit; there's been very little repeated music on any of his OSTs for the last decade -- a far cry from headscratchers like Mischief Managed!

Ironically he seems to be more meddling on shorter scores, when he could easily include the entire score on 1 CD! Comparatively, longer scores like TFA are heavily microedited in an effort to include as much material as possible.

I hope it's ok to post this (if it isn't please delete), under fair use copyright law for criticism.

This is the cue you were talking about earlier. (i deleted a bit of music from the beginning which was tracked from another cue).

This would add more diversity to the album since it's more dramatic (especially in the last 1,5 minute) than the other cues used.

http://picosong.com/vJH4/

You are welcome to link to copyrighted material stored on servers elsewhere, just not host it on our actual servers

What an excellent cue! From a musical storytelling perspective, that would've made a very strong 2nd or 3rd track on the OST (which is otherwise entirely light, fluffy and comedic).

A pretty poor OST assembly, as noted by others.

6 minutes ago, crumbs said:

What an excellent cue! From a musical storytelling perspective, that would've made a very strong 2nd or 3rd track on the OST (which is otherwise entirely light, fluffy and comedic).

A pretty poor OST assembly, as noted by others.

Exactly! Maybe it shouldn't be the first track but one of the first. I would have suggested the second track after the main theme.

The OST assembly would've been okay, if this very noticable track had been included.

I have no qualms with The Tale of Viktor Nivorski opening the soundtrack, as it introduces the overall flavour of the score.

But I do take issue with omitting other cues in favor of two appearances of the aforementioned concert suite! So wasteful.