Your Opinion

JWfangirl1992

If I spelt Opinion wrong... any way I got this off Wikipedia...

He currently holds the record for the most Oscar nominations for a living person and has the same number of Oscar nominations as Alfred Newman. He also holds the record for the most Academy Award losses ever.

I realize that with that many nominations your bound to lose a lot, but that just sounds degrading. Your opinion and do not bloviate...wow WAY TO MUCH O'REILY.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that's what happens when you're nominated practically every year for 35 years, sometimes double nominated, and walk away with only 5 wins (which is still a lot, but it scews up the ratio).

Tim

Yea I still feel its degrading, especially when you lose to a gay cowboy film. I mean I could have done the score (keep in mind I'm thirteen) and I would have won. That is because it serves a point about people. Most of the films that won carried a political message or something of the like, now-a-days it doesn't matter how good your movie is if you make fun of Bush or something of the like your going to win an Oscar and become the next Spieldberg!

I do think that it is an unnecessary comment. Though it is an ironic statement, and in the context of the fact that though he is the most recognized composer he still has the most losses, it still rings shallow to my ears. Instead, they should say, "Despite his many nominations, he still receives much less recognition than he deserves." He is regarded as nearly a musical genius in Hollywood, yet he seems to me to be underappreciated. I can just tell you that I don't underappreciate him, and I hope that means at least something.

~Conor

He currently holds the record for the most Oscar nominations for a living person and has the same number of Oscar nominations as Alfred Newman. He also holds the record for the most Academy Award losses ever.

Obviously.

He's been nominated almost every year (or with almost every score) and won "only" 5 times (I'd say 4.5, if we can count FOTR as one).

Since the 70s, he has an average of one victory each decade, with an average of more than 10 nominations each decade (I've just checked it's amazing, there's no 10 years with less than 11 nominations, and 7 times with two nominations in the same year).

And someone still thinks that he's an human. bowdown

Obviously.

He's been nominated almost every year (or with almost every score) and won "only" 5 times (I'd say 4.5, if we can count FOTR as one).

For a moment there, I thought you meant The Fellowship of the Ring. bowdown

Since the 70s, he has an average of one victory each decade, with an average of more than 10 nominations each decade (I've just checked it's amazing, there's no 10 years with less than 11 nominations, and 7 times with two nominations in the same year).

He's even been nominated in three different categories twice I think.

Obviously.

For a moment there, I thought you meant The Fellowship of the Ring. bowdown

What is FOTR? :?

EDIT: Oh, Fiddler on the Roof? :oops:

Your opinion and do not bloviate...wow WAY TO MUCH O'REILY.

We're sending FOX police to Wikipedia right now, folks! That's the most ridiculous item of the day! Name and town! Name and town! Name and town! Name and town! Name and town! Name and town... if you wish to opine!

John Williams is great! If you disagree, you are a traitor!

Your opinion and do not bloviate...wow WAY TO MUCH O'REILY.

We're sending FOX police to Wikipedia right now, folks! That's the most ridiculous item of the day! Name and town! Name and town! Name and town! Name and town! Name and town! Name and town... if you wish to opine!

John Williams is great! If you disagree, you are a traitor!

;)

For a moment there, I thought you meant The Fellowship of the Ring. ;)

Yeah, I wrote that misunderstanding on purpose. :P

I don't know, the only year he had 3 nominations was in 1995 (Nixon, Sabrina and a song for Sabrina).

Some years he had 2 nominations, of which 1 for a score and 1 for a song (1973, Cindarella Liberty's score + song, 1982, E.T.'s winner score + Yes, Giorgio's song, 1990, Home Alone score + song) 1991, JFK's score and Hook's song)

And in 1969 he was nominated for Best Score (The Reivers) and one for Best Score Adaption (Goodbye, Mr. Chips).

It's all about your perspective. An academy award nomination is an accolade. Or at least it is if you think the oscars are worth a shit. Therefore Williams has 5 glorious wins, and how ever many glorious nominations he has. It's all good, baby.

James-who watched Brokeback Mountain the other day and thought the music was perfect for the film.

I don't know, the only year he had 3 nominations was in 1995 (Nixon, Sabrina and a song for Sabrina).

That was in 1996. It happened one time before. In 1974, he was nominated for Best Original Dramatic Score (Cinderella Liberty, Best Original Song (again Cinderella Liberty), and Best Original Song Score or Adaptation (Tom Sawyer).

And it's not likely to happen again because they've limited the music categories down to two (song and score). So unless there's another rush of musicals or something, I wouldn't count on seeing it happen again.

Tim

I feel bad though, I mean we works his ass off for thirty years (i think), produces beautiful, beautiful scores, and doesn't get half the recognition he deserves.

That was in 1996. It happened one time before. In 1974, he was nominated for Best Original Dramatic Score (Cinderella Liberty, Best Original Song (again Cinderella Liberty), and Best Original Song Score or Adaptation (Tom Sawyer).

Nope! Sabrina was composed in 1995. BTW, everything I wrote was based on our page.

I feel bad though, I mean we works his ass off for thirty years (i think), produces beautiful, beautiful scores, and doesn't get half the recognition he deserves.

Oh, he's very well recognised. He didn't win several Oscars he would have deserved, but he still got tons of awards, and he's very well-known and well-respected.

Now Jerry Goldsmith, on the other hand, being on the same level as Williams, won a single Oscar during his entire (about 40 years long) career and was hardly recognised outside the film music community.

Marian - who thinks Williams is faring very well compared to that. ;)

I'll just say that Williams is the most nominated person in history, period!

He has two more nominations than Newman -- two newman nominations, the ones that amke them tie at this moment, were in the period the studio head of music would receive teh award instead of the actual composer.

Same aplies to Disney.

All Williams nominations and awards were for his own work.

I do think that it is an unnecessary comment.  Though it is an ironic statement, and in the context of the fact that though he is the most recognized composer he still has the most losses, it still rings shallow to my ears.

~Conor

I agree. Especially since I have the sneaking suspicion that the only reason the Academy won't give him another Oscar is because it seems to think 5 is enough already. If JW has been given a fair chance every year, he would have at least 10 more: (just off the top of my head) for Raiders, Saving Private Ryan, Memoirs, Prisoner of Azkaban, Born on the Fourth of July, A.I., The Patriot, Angela's Ashes, Temple of Doom, and Catch Me If You Can!

;)

James-who watched Brokeback Mountain the other day and thought the music was perfect for the film.

Indeed, bland and uninvolving.

Ray Barnsbury

Indeed, bland and uninvolving.

Ray Barnsbury

To be perfectly blunt, a crappy score for a crappy film -- a perfect match. LOL

By the way, I don't see anything offensive, degrading or unnecessary about the comment. It is a fact, and the job of encyclopedias like WP is to state facts.

Marian - who has no problem with that.

It is a fact, and the job of encyclopedias like WP is to state facts.

You do realize that Wikipedia isn't a real encyclopedia, right? It can be informative, but anybody with a free account can change or edit stuff, which is how they got into all that trouble last year. Some entries are editorial and biased, and I never really go there anymore if I'm looking for correct and accurate facts.

Tim

Nope! Sabrina was composed in 1995. BTW, everything I wrote was based on our page.

So he had three nominations in 1996, Mirko. For music to films released in 1995. That's how it works in the Oscars.

- Marc, :roll:

You do realize that Wikipedia isn't a real encyclopedia, right? It can be informative, but anybody with a free account can change or edit stuff, which is how they got into all that trouble last year.  Some entries are editorial and biased, and I never really go there anymore if I'm looking for correct and accurate facts.

It's still an encyclopedia, regardless of its reliability. Which I find to be fine, mostly. You just have to keep in mind to not blindly believe everything on there. Which you shouldn't do with other encyclopedias either, anyway. That Microsoft thing lists different people as the inventors of the telephone in different countries, among other things, and I think they're not the only ones to do that.

On the other hand, in many cases, WP is more complete than my 15-book Brockhaus (you wouldn't even find John Williams in there). And I don't know how well-done that was, but remember there recently was a study that claimed the WP was about as reliable as the Encyclopedia Britannica.

Marian - who finds it very useful. More useful, in fact, than the more affordable printed encyclopedias. ;)

I do think that it is an unnecessary comment.  Though it is an ironic statement, and in the context of the fact that though he is the most recognized composer he still has the most losses, it still rings shallow to my ears.  Instead, they should say, "Despite his many nominations, he still receives much less recognition than he deserves."  He is regarded as nearly a musical genius in Hollywood, yet he seems to me to be underappreciated.  I can just tell you that I don't underappreciate him, and I hope that means at least something.

~Conor

why dont someone sign up at wiki and put that in. ;)

By the way, I don't see anything offensive, degrading or unnecessary about the comment. It is a fact, and the job of encyclopedias like WP is to state facts.

Marian - who has no problem with that.

While I suppose it is a record and should be an honor, albeit a less than exciting one, WP could imply this fact by stating that he has recieved a certain number of nominations and 5 wins. It seems to be a case of sounding fine when being written, but in context seems to be odd.

~Conor

Ok I just signed up what should I change "He also holds the record for most losses" to?

Nothing. It's the truth.

Althought it's something I would never wrote about him.