Star Trek: The Early Years

Indiana_Fett

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bowdown

I'm tired of this "Early Year" crap that Star Trek has been doing lately. I love Star Trek as everyone knows, the films, TOS-Voyager...but even I know when it's time for Star Trek to take a break.

Seriously Star Trek just needs a 10-15 year break.

If Horner is chosen to do it chances are he'll re-use every single theme he's done for Star Trek's II and III. bowdown

Personally I would rather have Dennis McCarthy score it...

I'm not too familiar with Abrams (Don't like Alias, have yet to see Lost, looking forward to MI:III) but a lot of people talk about him like he's the great white hope. Sounds like a very intriguing idea for him to do a Star Trek film.

Morlock- who thought McArthy's score was aweful, and thought a patchwork of other ST scores would have been far more effective in the film

We have Battlestar Galactica. Who needs Star Trek? ;)

Seriously, I'm sure there are good stories left to be told, but after the franchise has had a long rest. And then attack it with new and fresh ideas by jumping ahead another century or two, rather than continously trying to recapture the glory of the past. And have Rick Berman in no way involved.

John- who thinks McCarthy's Generations is quite good, though still inferior to most other Trek scores

I'd go to see it. I much prefer the movies to any of the series.

James-who just bought all 10 2-disc sets of the Star Trek movies from Coconuts for $5 each after the rebate.

I won't believe this until I'm in the theater watching it.

However, I believe it more now that I've seen it here which is a much more reliable site, IMO.

Justin - Who is still skeptical since one script was already rejected.

Haven't you heard? There's a new geeky craze going on and it's created by Joss Whedon. It goes by the name of Serenity and it's based on some series called Firefly. I confess, I never seen it but pictures look quite cheesy to me. Anyhow, the whole world solemnly swears by it. It's even making Star Wars lose its fandom.

----------------

Alex Cremers

It's even making lose Star Wars its fandom.  

didn't the prequels do that?

I wish they did, but they actually created a new fanbase. Damn!

I don't see what a break of any duration would change. What they do need is fresh writers and fresh ideas.

Personally, I always thought the Star Trek universe is big enough to make a movie set there but not directly related to any of the series. You could write comedies, thrillers, horror movies, love stories and pretty much anything else in a Star Trek setting. You wouldn't have to worry about an entire cast requesting a load of money for another return, you wouldn't have to bother with writing the plot in a way that incorporates all the existing characters, and you might have a better chance of appealing to non-ST fans, too.

However, I generally think the idea of setting a ST plot in the early days of the Federation is interesting enough to have potential. What little I've seen of Enterprise didn't excite me at all. But having young Kirk and Spock around might push it in the right direction.

Marian - who considers McCarthy's Generations a good score, but one of the least Trek scores.

;)  

I'm tired of this "Early Year" crap that Star Trek has been doing lately.  I love Star Trek as everyone knows, the films, TOS-Voyager...but even I know when it's time for Star Trek to take a break.

Bullshit, it needs a decent fresh start, but not this one. I don't care about a young Kirk and Spock,

I want more after Voyager returned to earth. Thats the best era of Star Fleet.

Actually I do agree if they do another movie they need to go back to the 24th Century, maybe further ahead into time. I'm tired of this "The Early Years" crap before the TNG/DS9/Voyager era.

I never really got into Enterprise because it looked to high-tech for it's time.

We agree, the Enterprise in Enterprise looked far more advanced than Kirk's Enterprise.

If Horner is chosen to do it chances are he'll re-use every single theme he's done for Star Trek's II and III.  ;)

I really don't understand why people whine about Horner's reuse of his material from Wrath of Khan in The Search for Spock. He doesn't even come CLOSE to the amount of self-copying as Goldsmith did when he borrowed from The Omen to compose Omen II. Don't get me wrong, I like Omen II, but almost every choral piece is a reworked cue from the first film.

If you hear Horner's score to The Search for Spock in full, you'll notice that there is a lot more going on in this score than people give it credit for.

If Horner could write like this again, I'd love him to score any new Star Trek film that may come out. But I'd prefer Basil Poledouris.

But if I were in charge, the film wouldn't be a prequel.

I really don't understand why people whine about Horner's reuse of his material from Wrath of Khan in The Search for Spock. He doesn't even come CLOSE to the amount of self-copying as Goldsmith did when he borrowed from The Omen to compose Omen II. Don't get me wrong, I like Omen II, but almost every choral piece is a reworked cue from the first film.

Well Omen II is a sequel and it would make sense for Goldsmith to do that.

We agree, the Enterprise in Enterprise looked far more advanced than Kirk's Enterprise.

Indeed.

The episode "In A Mirror Darkly", I liked for the most part. However when it showed the Constitution Class named Defiant from our universe fighting the that other style NX-01 class ship it just looks really...off.

Star Trek should just stop, as should Star Wars. And especially if they want to waste Abrams and Giacchino on it, let them do something new instead of delivering another genesis thing of an ongoing series.

Star Trek should just stop, as should Star Wars.

The voice of reason has spoken.

- Marc, who agrees 100% with the above.

no, its not the voice of reason, just another voice, nothing more, oh and wrong for that matter.

Well Omen II is a sequel and it would make sense for Goldsmith to do that.

Well The Search for Spock was a sequel to The Wrath of Khan so it makes sense for Horner to quote himself. What I'm trying to say is Goldsmith quoted himself a LOT more in Omen II than Horner did in Star Trek III, but people seem to really hate the latter for some reason.

Indeed.

Star Trek III is a very good score and the re-use of themes from the previous film is very understandable and fitting.

The overall style of the score is pretty different then that of TWOK BTW, something detractors often choose to ignore

the finest bit of Star trek music ever is in STIII, what I call the Hymn for Captain Kirk, in the middle of Stealing the Enterprise, Star Trek music perfection.

Indeed.

Star Trek III is a very good score and the re-use of themes from the previous film is very understandable and fitting.

The overall style of the score is pretty different then that of TWOK BTW, something detractors often choose to ignore

Ex-actly! Star Trek III is a score all its own. The Wrath of Khan was all about action whereas The Search for Spock has much more beauty to it. It's also got a quasi-religious feel to much of it (the music for scenes concerning the Genesis planet). The action is still there, but there's more than just action. It's a much better and fully fleshed-out score.

People praising Horner!? Past, Future, and Present Picards need to fix the anomaly of time and anti-time. :eek:

I praise Horner quite frequently.......along with a few others.......

Abrams is bringing over some of his regular collaborators, as Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman (who worked on Alias and M:I:III) will pen the script. And his Lost co-producers Bryan Burk and Damien Lindelof are also on board. Which means Trek fans can celebrate the fact that loathed producer Rick Berman appears to be nowhere near this new project.

This can only be good....and bring back Horner.....

the finest bit of Star trek music ever is in STIII, what I call the Hymn for Captain Kirk, in the middle of Stealing the Enterprise, Star Trek music perfection.

Can you explain a little more, Joe? I think I may know what you are talking about but can you give the time of the section you are referring?