Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

ashinyobject

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dark Knight: My 17th JNH score, 10th HZ score, 2nd JNH/HZ score. I hated the first score (apart from 3 tracks), but I'm hoping this one is better. And it sounded good in context of the film, so we'll see.

Star Trek: First Contact: My 5th JG soundtrack, my 3rd Star Trek soundtrack.

That reminds me, I still have to listen to Cinderella Liberty.

Haha, I just got First Contact this past Thursday.

I think you are going to like the music. I'm still working my way thru it.

Even though the liner notes don't go in to full detail I was quite touched at times by what Robert Townson wrote.

During the latest Conference in Ubeda, Townson was playing some of the cues from both Scarlett Letter and Gangs of NY. They were preety good, so the whole albums should give a lot of pleasure.

I listed to Gangs of New York last night. It's quite an ambitious score. Going for something primal there. Always coming back to it's main 4 note motif. And quoting the source piece Scorsese picked for the opening scene. Unfortunately, I do not think it translates to a great listen. I, at least was dissapointed with the score, as well as impressed with the approach Bernstein took. And it struck me as a very Goldsmithian score. The main motif and some of the more rythmic stuff. Ah well. Put me in the mood to see the film again. On to Scarlet Letter.

Over the past few days...

Wall-E

I've Never Forgotten You

Who Will Stop the Rain

Masters of the Universe (signed)

Batman - Gotham Knight (signed)

I think I got one or two others too...but i forget!

• 2 weeks later...
I listed to Gangs of New York last night. It's quite an ambitious score. Going for something primal there. Always coming back to it's main 4 note motif. And quoting the source piece Scorsese picked for the opening scene. Unfortunately, I do not think it translates to a great listen. I, at least was dissapointed with the score, as well as impressed with the approach Bernstein took. And it struck me as a very Goldsmithian score. The main motif and some of the more rythmic stuff. Ah well. Put me in the mood to see the film again. On to Scarlet Letter.

Scarlet Letter? You'll be feeling deja vu.

Yes, I believe I mentioned that as well. I was quite impressed by Scarlet Letter though; I still need to take some time for a closer listen, but there were several standout moments the two times I played it.

I got these:

51DBGYTEH6L._SL500_AA240_.jpg41X20HEV06L._SL500_AA240_.jpg51wGbZX-GWL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

And Menken's Hunchback of Notre Dame is still on order.

How'd I miss the Goldsmith counting? I have four officially, and one unofficially (Hoosiers)

Patton

The Wind and the Lion

Alien

Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend

I think the two highest on my obtain list are Star Trek: The Motion Picture, because it is what it is, and Rudy, because I love it and want to be able to combine the isolated score with the OST for a complete album.

Looking back on my list somehow I forgot to include Patton. But it's not an official release, I just ripped the iso score from the DVD.

John- who has very much enjoyed The Omen

I ordered The Forbidden Kingdom from Amazon. It is a CD-R copy of the score though, which puzzles me a little. A lot of the reviews complain about the CD arriving damaged because of wet adhesive dripping onto the surface of the disc. Thank you moviemusic.com, which had a thread about the score, which I didn't even know was released.

I ordered The Forbidden Kingdom from Amazon. It is a CD-R copy of the score though, which puzzles me a little. A lot of the reviews complain about the CD arriving damaged because of wet adhesive dripping onto the surface of the disc. Thank you moviemusic.com, which had a thread about the score, which I didn't even know was released.

If it makes it easier for scores to be released when pressing might be too expensive, then I guess it works, but they shouldn't be compromising on the quality like that. For ink/glue to still be wet really speaks of just-in-time production gone mad. Now I've done business studies and I know how cost-saving it can be, but you need to at least have a saleable product come out of it... meh.

Thorogood Live- George Thorogood and the Destroyers

Room For Squares- John Mayer

Extended Versions- Barenaked Ladies

War of The Worlds- John Williams

All for $4 a piece.

Mongol (free...used a gift card) and The Pink Panther by Christophe Beck ($1.99).

Oh..almost forgot, Forbidden Kingdom & Skinwalkers - both with an iTunes giftcard ;)

Jamesyboy - hi, my name is James, and I'm a film score addict...

Heavier Things- John Mayer.

Great albums. Continuum and The John Mayer Trio (live) are awesome. I NEED his new 2cd live set...

Jamesyboy- very glad that Mayer is finally exploring and recording his blues roots.

Torchwood just got released as a digital download. One of the few TV soundtracks where the cue selection seems quite good, although it's more serious than Doctor Who, and therefore much less fun. And I'd have crucified them had Gray's Theme not been included.

Trading the extra copy of Invaders from Mars I bought for a mint copy of Williams' Jane Eyre with someone on FSM. :(

Lucky. I would have boguht an Invaders f I knew it'd land me a Jane Eyre.

Getting the following from a guy on FSM:

Sleepy Hollow - Elfman

Batman Forever - Goldenthal

Requiem for a Dream - Mansell

The Mission - Morricone

Sneakers - Horner

Elephant Man - Morris

The Thin Red Line - Zimmer

Batman Forever - Goldenthal

The best over-the-top score there is, probably.

Requiem for a Dream - Mansell

Been playing that a lot lately.

The Mission - Morricone

Need this one.

Sneakers - Horner

The best Horner.

Elephant Man - Morris

Never warmed up to that one.

You do need The Mission. I put it off for years, thinking it was so obvious that I'd never listen to it....but it's a stunning score.

The man's written some less than stunning scores.

Rarely.

Not when you consider just how many scores he's written.

The man's written some less than stunning scores. This is a rare score even when it comes to Morricone's lyricism.

Not really. It's just the most popular (read: US-bound) of his scores. I cringe whenever i hear people citing this, 'Mission to Mars', 'Untouchables' and maybe the Leones as reference point for Morricone. He did a lot more and a lot more interesting things in the 60s and 70s in Italy and France, mostly.

There are several scores ('Marco Polo', , 'La Venexiana', 'La Tenda Rossa', 'The Maestro and Margherita', 'Secret of the Sahara', 'Prince of the Desert', 'La Califfa') which easily rival 'The Mission'.

I can get it with free shipping from Play. And in their next sale, it's probably reduced again, too.

I consider Disclosure a less than stunning score (it has one cool track).

I consider The Legend of 1900 a stunning score. And I need the Italian DVD... (the other releases are abridged)