Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

ashinyobject

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I would like to say that I deeply resent that remark.

Second: hey, QuestionMarkMan, I see you are listening to Serenada Schizophrana. What is your favorite movement, if I may ask? Mine would probably be the Fifth, "I Forget".

I don't want to pay $45 for an import of La Resa Dei Conti

Is saving money not cool anymore?

Did I say I didn't have the money? I said I didn't want to spend it. Saving is exactly what I'm doing.

so you're going to buy the score, after you've downloaded it?

t Nick: I like the first and last movements the most

No, I could have bought it if I wanted to. Does $45 seem reasonable for a CD?

If it's available, I'd rather buy it than download it

No, I could have bought it if I wanted to. Does $45 seem reasonable for a CD?

If it's available, I'd rather buy it than download it

Same here. Even if it's an import CD, I'd still buy it.

Right now? No, the economy is bad and $250.00 is too much to spend. If things were going good, yes I might just do that.

A friend made me a copy many years ago to tide me over plus given all the stuff the labels have been releasing I've been holding off on buying some of the older CDs I missed because quite a few are starting to get re-releases.

I know it's hard to comprehend but some people are a bit more honest and try and save their money to buy things or realize they aren't in a position to have everything they want.

If you feel the need to acquire everything "free" then you might want to resort to some tact and not post in this thread.

If I really wanted the CD bad enough I would probably pay $250 just as long as A: it's in mint condition or B: sealed. Or I'll still keep an eye out for a real good deal through ebay or the Amazon Marketplace.

I paid $200 for a sealed copy of Predator a year and half after it sold out at Varese. The reason why I didn't get it at the time was because I didn't know it had been released since I didn't pay too much attention to releases back then like I do now. I wanted the CD bad enough I was willing to pay $200 for it but like I said it was sealed so that's okay by me. I know most here won't do that but I will make exceptions for very few CD's like that.

I know it's hard to comprehend but some people are a bit more honest and try and save their money to buy things or realize they aren't in a position to have everything they want.

Quite true on this. Hence why this year I'm gonna be pretty choosy as to what limited editions I want. If it's one I really want I will buy it, if it's one I don't think I'll listen to that much I will pass on it and give someone else a chance to buy it.

If you feel the need to acquire everything "free" then you might want to resort to some tact and not post in this thread.

I completely agree.

just finished reading all 76 pages of this thread...phew...i know i'm not a regular poster (see post count) but i'm really digging this thread and wanted to add my input. here's my recently purchased (this is within the past month and half):

24: Seasons 4 and 5

Mulan

Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 1

The Matrix Deluxe Edition

Alien Nation

The Omen Trilogy

Forrest Gump

Moonraker

Alien (haven't received yet)

The Wind and the Lion (also haven't received yet)

Star Trek 5

almost blind bought Death on the Nile but since I had never heard it i put it back. anybody got any feedback regarding this score?

i'm still on the fence regarding The Boys from Brazil. i remember seeing this movie in high school and thinking that the score was interesting but completely out of place for the movie. i really can't recall much of it anymore which is why i'm still debating.

finally, i noticed that varese has a box set called "Jerry Goldsmith: His Final Recordings" which includes Star Trek: Nemesis, Looney Tunes: Back in Action, and his unused Timeline score. its limited to 2500 but yet they're selling it on Amazon like its a regular release. has anybody bought this set? does each CD come in its original CD case? also, does each one come wrapped in its own plastic or do they come like The Omen Trilogy box set where the box is wrapped but the CDs themselves are not?

I need to get that "Jerry Goldsmith: His Final Recordings" box next month if I can. I don't have Looney Tunes or Timeline yet and I want both of them. I don't know what I'd do with the spare Star Trek Nemesis score. I guess I'll just keep that one sealed.

That Goldsmith Final Recordings box was the thing I came closest to buying at Disney's Virgin Megastore last month, even if it meant double dipping on Nemesis. But I resisted that and everything else since I knew I could get it cheaper online.

I need to get that "Jerry Goldsmith: His Final Recordings" box next month if I can. I don't have Looney Tunes or Timeline yet and I want both of them. I don't know what I'd do with the spare Star Trek Nemesis score. I guess I'll just keep that one sealed.

Just buy the other two separately.

Those Play sales will be my ruin someday... they also are a wonderful opportunity to broaden my music collection though. Here's what I received over the past few weeks:

Leonard Bernstein: West Side Story (Soundtrack)

Blur: Great Escape

Blur: Parklife

Richard O' Brien: The Rocky Horror Picture Show (replacing downloads)

Coldplay: A Rush Of Blood To The Head

Michael Giacchino: Ratatouille

Alan Menken: Aladdin

Muse: Origin of Symmetry

Muse: Showbiz (replacing my FLAC downloads for the two Muse albums)

Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark: Organisation

Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark: Architecture & Morality

R.E.M.: Automatic for the People

R.E.M.: Document

Radiohead: OK Computer

The Who: Tommy

The Who: Quadrophenia (Soundtrack)

John Williams: Tuba Concerto (plus concertos by Tailleferre, Tomasi and Mayuzumi)

You mean you're not on the JWFan Holiday Gift Exchange List? I got a great Heartbeeps-themed sweater last year.

Glad you liked it. And I must say the Images themed photo album was...interesting.

You mean you're not on the JWFan Holiday Gift Exchange List? I got a great Heartbeeps-themed sweater last year.

Sshhhhh.....Ray, it's supposed to remain a secret. :)

Those Play sales will be my ruin someday... they also are a wonderful opportunity to broaden my music collection though. Here's what I received over the past few weeks:

Leonard Bernstein: West Side Story (Soundtrack)

Blur: Great Escape

Blur: Parklife

Richard O' Brien: The Rocky Horror Picture Show (replacing downloads)

Coldplay: A Rush Of Blood To The Head

Michael Giacchino: Ratatouille

Alan Menken: Aladdin

Muse: Origin of Symmetry

Muse: Showbiz (replacing my FLAC downloads for the two Muse albums)

Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark: Organisation

Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark: Architecture & Morality

R.E.M.: Automatic for the People

R.E.M.: Document

Radiohead: OK Computer

The Who: Tommy

The Who: Quadrophenia (Soundtrack)

John Williams: Tuba Concerto (plus concertos by Tailleferre, Tomasi and Mayuzumi)

I can only comment on those two, but I can only make positive comments on them. Good purchasing decisions. Well, I could comment on Rocky Horror Picture Show, but....

Why would you read 76 pages of people listing soundtracks they've recently got?

none of your business :lol:

actually, its good for the following couple of reasons:

1. as a resource for the discovery of scores and score related information that i may otherwise be unaware of (this is the primary reason)

2. to see what others are listening to (i know, you are probably wondering "who cares what others are listening to", but its the curiosity in me that drives me to snoop)

hope that answers your question!

EDIT: I received Wind and the Lion and Alien yesterday. I've listened to the original albums before but this will be my first time listening to the complete score. I can't wait!

I can only comment on those two, but I can only make positive comments on them. Good purchasing decisions.

Giacchino has now definitely become a composer to watch closely for me.

Well, I could comment on Rocky Horror Picture Show, but....

...but?

Brothers & Sisters EP- Coldplay

The Phantom Menace (Ultimate Edition)- John Williams

TPM UE has always been something I've looked for. Of course its easily available online but I enjoyed looking for it in stores. I was excited when I saw it I knew I'd be buying it.

I could imagine if you wanted the so called "Ultimate Edition" (or Crap Edition as I call it) for collector's purposes....but why on earth would you want to enjoy that god awful catastrophe?

The UE is still an improvement over the OST in that it contains so many great musical moments that were previously omitted. I know the editing is atrocious when you know what's going on, and the release could have been SO much better than it was. But it's a more complete presentation of some of the best music of the last ten years, and the sound quality is impeccable. To say that it's worthless aside from collecting purposes is just silly, if you ask me.

For $10 to replace the copy that I got from Napster...I don't mind. I don't think I ever made it the whole way through, either, but for the price, I couldn't argue.

How much am I missing?

I'm sure exactly how much is missing but I still wish they would have included the cue when John Dunbar first arrives at the Sioux camp with a wounded Stands With A Fist.

Other than that the album is perfect as far as I'm concerned.