William's Best Decade

Which decade showed William's at his prime?  

44 members have voted

1. 1.

• The 50's (Daddy-O)
    • The 60's
    • The 70's
    • The 80's
    • The 90's
    • The 00's (?)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well because Empire is the tie-breaker in respect to what nightscape said...and it falls in the 80's...80's it is.

Though I think the 80's was a great year for everyone in film music.

Man - that's a tough one.......I'm torn between 70's and 80's......

......but 80's pips it to the post, but only just......

Empire, Indiana Jones, ET, its got to be 80's. Although, I grew up with his 90's movies and themes so I hold that decade as a very very very close 2nd.

I'd say about 1974 - 1984 if it can only be 10 years.

film music at its peak

No, that's film music at it's infancy.  To say that Williams' output between '74 and '84 is part of a decline in quality is outrageous.

Tim

I agree. How could anybody in his or her right mind not believe emphatically that 1974-1984 was the one and only apex of film music?

Outrageous!

1980s

1970s

2000s

1990s

I havent heard enough of the 50s or 60s to judge them fairly.

And I agree on the '74-'84 10-year Williams peak. But he ain't been too bad since then either. :wave:

This is tough then I thought....But I reckon he improving ever since he started his film composer career debut till these days.

His best period was from 1932 to 1937 when he was still able to churn out fairly shitty and stinky tunes.

The disco era should be winning this by a landslide, but it isn't! Williams fans must be getting younger!

My opinion is of the Jaws to Empire Strikes Back/ET/Raiders (cant remember which came first). So I havent voted yet as I cant decide between 70s or 80s. :)

I'd say about 1974 - 1984 if it can only be 10 years.

film music at its peak

Hardly... try 1939 through 1945.

I completely disagree. I said what I said because I mean what I said.

This CD made me fall in love with the era, and it's only the tip of the iceberg.

Then you should scroll it back a year, since The Adventures of Robin Hood was released in 1938. Wonderful album, Cerrabore. I agree, this was the greatest era for film music. The late '70s/early '80s run it a close second, but there were simply too many great composers in the '30s and '40s operating at the peak of their ability.

That's not to say Williams and Goldsmith weren't (aren't?) titans. Just felt the need to stink up this thread with unnecessary fuddy-duddyisms.

This CD made me fall in love with the era, and it's only the tip of the iceberg.

Then you should scroll it back a year, since The Adventures of Robin Hood was released in 1938. Wonderful album, Cerrabore. I agree, this was the greatest era for film music. The late '70s/early '80s run it a close second, but there were simply too many great composers in the '30s and '40s operating at the peak of their ability.

That's not to say Williams and Goldsmith weren't (aren't?) titans. Just felt the need to stink up this thread with unnecessary fuddy-duddyisms.

So Korngold seemes to be the REALLY really big one of that era though, so I'll probably look into him.