Classic FM's Top 100 Soundtracks. Goldsmith is in...JUST!

Quintus

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant believe number one.

number 2 must be an error.

Is williams credited for Star Wars as a hole like Shore is for LOTR?

Arent there many other great composers to be number one and two?!?!

That is a rather dumb list.

How can the frigging Borkeback mountain be better than 99% of Golsmith's works?!?!

Nice to see Mozart tied to John Barry's hip again! And not a Herrmann score in sight. The louts! :(

Isn't this list... old? :(

Um, I believe it was published either yesterday or the 29th.

Its the result of an all-day radio broadcast which counted them down on the 29th.

How can the frigging Brokeback mountain be better than 99% of Goldsmith's works?!?!

I think track 17 on Brokeback entitled "The Wings" does it for most people. How Jerry has been neglected is too painfully obvious. John Williams is the more listened to and the most recognised.

I haven't even heard Ladies in Lavender. Should I have?

It's a great little movie directed by Charles (The doctor in Alien3) Dance. The music is played often on LyricFm (Ireland's equivalent of ClassicFM).

I haven't even heard Ladies in Lavender. Should I have?

It's a great little movie directed by Charles (The doctor in Alien3) Dance. The music is played often on LyricFm (Ireland's equivalent of ClassicFM).

Holy shit, I remember that movie now. It was on release last year I think, it looked like a quaint little retirement flick. Was its score really that good? I'll be damned if it deserves the No.3 spot (higher than freaking Star wars!) no matter how well written it is.

While that list is better than the usual ones by those old critics (the ones that don't include anything after a lot of us were born), it has a lot of crap. Pirates of the Caribbean should be nowhere near this list and I don't know what E.T. is doing outside the top 10.

Plus, exactly what is this based on? How do you define these scores in terms of 'best'? (I'm revising for an exam in decision making tomorrow so I'm very into this)

Great for Shore though :(

All credibility of this list goes out the window when you notice that Pirates of the Carribean is 32 places ahead of Superman....

Hans Zimmer got No. 98 and 45 for The Last Samurai. If it's been able to get 2 slots, it must be really good! I should check this score out. LOL

Actually there is some perverted sense in this - as an occasional Classic FM listener, I've noticed that where a score is placed on this list depends a lot on how often it is played on the station......stuff how good it actually is, that doesn't matter - what matter's is how much of it the general Classic FM audience are spoon-fed......

What a silly, silly list...

I am glad to see that Williams got as much recognition as he did, though.

But Shore? And for LOTR, which is not even high calibre writing? Then again, Zimmer shouldn't be on the list at all. Good someone had the sense to vote for Shostakovich and Walton. Was Prokofiev on there? No Herrmann?? And Goldsmith at the very last?

Uninformed readers,I guess...

And for LOTR, which is not even high calibre writing?

You know, I'm getting kind of sick of this. Show me one score more complex in character development on a grand scale than his trilogy.

Nah, I already saw it in the Royal Albert Hall.

How was it? Anyone else?

It was amazing. The highlight being The Lighting of the Beacons, closely followed by "To the bridge of Kazad-Dum!" and The Last March Of The Ents.

It was a full house and we had the best (and most expensive) seats in it, the orchestra was basically 10 feet away from us and we were slightly raised over it - perfect view. The renditions sounded near identical to the ost's, well they would do seeing as it was the LPO playing. Oh and the female/male/childrens choirs were absolutley stunning. The Revelation of the Ringwraiths being particulary powerful. And it was a sombre house when the young boy soloist sang at the fall of Gandalf The Grey. Just beautiful.

Its just a shame that Mr Shore didn't address the audience, but a minor quibble.

But I'm still waiting for Williams to return to the Barbican ROTFLMAO

And for LOTR, which is not even high calibre writing?

You know, I'm getting kind of sick of this. Show me one score more complex in character development on a grand scale than his trilogy.

just ignore them gkgyver. They are blind to the masterpiece of powerful, cultural and epic film scoring.

the list isnt rubbish. its quite telling actually. Notice it says PEOPLE VOTED. as in this is what the common people think. it may be rubbish in that the more elite soundtrack listeners disagree, but the common people think this. which i actually agree that if i had no background in music watsoever, i could agree with.

none of the top 4 deserver to even be in the top 20.

This is a load of rubbish. While JW is represnted quite often, SPR is not better than E.T. or other JW scores listed after it. Morricone is on, but not his best score, Once Upon A Time in the West. Some scores (Lady in Lavender, Brokeback Mtn.) should be nowhere near this list. Some (Gladiator, Pirates) seem listed for popularity than music. About the only one I can agree with is #1. Shore's score for Rings is superb.

SPR is not better than E.T.

You are correct, but it's strange that so many people voted for it rather then E.T.

Tim, who finds this list rather interesting....in a really bad way.

Eighty Fucking Seven. This list had to be a voting thing. It HAD to be. No one who knows all those scores could make that list like that.

Zimmer's Last Samurai is twice on the list! Places 45 and 98. That is quite amazing LOL

What does that tell about the list or Last Samurai? ROTFLMAO

Oh please! Ladies in Lavender on the 3rd place and Gladiator 2nd :roll:

Well they have included Brokeback so the list has no credibility at all.

Gkgyver: "Star Wars" comes to mind, as far as trilogies with more complex character development in terms of musical score...

I disagree.

The Star Wars trilogy consists of three seperate scores, of which the sequel scores refer to material previously written.

The Lord of the Rings is three scores, practically written back-to-back, and you'll find major material from the third film already hinted at in the first.

The Lord of the Rings is three scores, practically written back-to-back, and you'll find major material from the third film already hinted at in the first.

(Speaking about SW OT)

The scores are more intertwined than the SW ones, because Shore had the opportunity of adding new music while he had already written the next scores...

Anyway you dont hear any hint of Gollum's untill TTT. And that would be much cooler than Gondor theme in FOTR and TTT. (BTW this theme is not 'hinted' its in there in its entirety, in ROTK it is just backed up with the orchestra).

And the 'nature theme' was created for FOTR, and therefore used with the eagles as it should be, in the end of ROTK. Its ussage in TTT... more like Yoda's in bespin... aesthetic.

You dont see any evolution like from Princess leia to Han Solo and the Princess anyway.

But yes its obvious than in a three year span you can make a more cohesive work for an already written storyline, than a 6 years, 20 years stop and another 6 years revisit.

But this cohesion doesnt make it the best score ever created. Im not sure if Williams could have it either.

Coincidentally, the official tie-in album is on release. I didn't even know there was one, until I just saw the commercial for it on British tv.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...0826386-8968412

So who is gonna be racing down to their local store for this? :roll:

I didn't state it was the best score ever created. It just has more complex thematic development than the original Star Wars trilogy.

There's this little cue in FotR where Gandalf picks up Bilbo's old map. The choir sounds a lot like the backing of Gollum's Song.

Also, while I agree that the use of the Nature theme at the charge out of the Hornburg and at the storming of the Pelennor Fields is questionable, and probably a director's request, note that it is also used when Merry and Pippin discuss the Old Forest, and when the Ents march onto Isengard. I might add that the aestethic use of this theme works very well too.

And yes, both of the big Gondor themes are used in FotR, just not played by the full orchestra yet. Either way, it's a very cool way of using them, and shows you that there was definitely a plan.

Many of the themes are also related to each other.

It is important to note, though, that with The Lord of the Rings, everyone involved knew where the story was going from the get-go. The novel has been around for some fifty years now I believe, and the entire trilogy was shot as one huge long film.

When Star Wars was filmed, nobody knew where it was going. Only Lucas might have had a glimmer (I'm not going to go into that whole discussion of how well-formed these plans might have been and where they deviated - that's nto for this thread). Watch Star Wars. It has a beginning, middle, and (somewhat open) end, but it feels like a single film.

The sequels were things that were added later on. There wasn't a full script for Jedi or even Empire yet when Star Wars went into production, let alone the prequels.

The makers of The Lord of the Rings did have that advantage of knowing where the three-film story was going to take them, allowing for more pre-planned structuring of any part of the film (be it score, production, editing, or screenplay).

Also, while I agree that the use of the Nature theme at the charge out of the Hornburg and at the storming of the Pelennor Fields is questionable,

On the contrary, I've never thought of that theme as being the 'nature' theme, but rather the 'hope' or 'force of good' theme. When thought of in this context its perfectly suits all the moments you mentioned, especially as it plays at the arrival at the Pelennor.

In fact one could say that this theme is ironically a distant cousin of the Force theme. Both pieces serve the exact same purpose within their respective films - too rally the audience behind the events on screen and to create a feeling of movie myth.

Also, while I agree that the use of the Nature theme at the charge out of the Hornburg and at the storming of the Pelennor Fields is questionable,

On the contrary, I've never thought of that theme as being the 'nature' theme, but rather the 'hope' or 'force of good' theme. When thought of in this context its perfectly suits all the moments you mentioned, especially as it plays at the arrival at the Pelennor.

In those cases, it can be classified as such, but notice that all of its prior appearances, including its appearance in FotR, all have to do with nature. Of course, Tolkien always drew a parralel between good vs. evil and nature vs. industry, but all of the appearances befor the Hornburg have something to do with nature. I suspect the charge from the Hornburg might have been tracked.

But when time comes, I'm sure Doug Adams wil explain this better (and probably more accurately) than I can. ;)

Coincidentally, the official tie-in album is on release. I didn't even know there was one, until I just saw the commercial for it on British tv.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...0826386-8968412

So who is gonna be racing down to their local store for this?  :roll:

I just saw an advert of it before seeing MI:3. I cringe at Simon Bates' irritating voice - he's one of the worst things to happen to film scores in Britain. As is Classic FM in general.

The trick is not to take the list too seriously. We know what we like, we know what's good. And that's because we listen to more scores, and more of scores, than Classic FM listeners, producers or presenters. The list is titled "What's the greatest piece of film music of all time?" and they're referring to entire films. I think that's enough to show they haven't paid much attention to film scores as a genre (it'll be all "Main Theme" and "Opening Credits" to them)...

Just leave it. It's crap. We know.

But when time comes, I'm sure Doug Adams wil explain this better (and probably more accurately) than I can. ;)

Are there being delayed?

We should have TTT tracklist by now, want it going to be released middle 2006?

:/

Long time for ROTK....

Oh and i agre about what you said (sorry, i assumed you were backing up geekgyver saying that the complexity (musically is not that complex IMO) and cohesiveness of these scores made them best best ever written, therefore deserving place 1).

"Star Wars" comes to mind, as far as trilogies with more complex character development in terms of musical score...

Well, that's just wrong. It's not even a question of taste or point of view, it's fact. Shore worked on a wholly different level of character development.

You don't see it, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. 80 % of all interweavings and interconnections aren't even remotely noticeable even after repeated listening.

If Star Wars really was as meticulously developed as LotR, Williams wouldn't have played Leia's theme over Ben's death.

Are there being delayed?  

We should have TTT tracklist by now, want it going to be released middle 2006?

:/

Long time for ROTK....

Luke I don't think there was a set date as to when the next two would be released. It was suggested that they may be released before the end of 2006 but I would imagine they don't want to flood the market with all 3 sets right away.

I think Doug Adams mentioned they are working on TTT.

Gkgyver: I can see your mind is made up!

Shore's work on "LOTR" may or may not be exceptional in its thematic coherency, but it lacks so much in terms of sheer musical qualities, as far as HOW the music is developed.

Williams, being an infinately greater composer than Shore, has so many more layers to his thematic development.

Umm, why are people talking about the thematic development over the trilogy? The number one entry is presumably just The Fellowship of the Ring. Comparing it just to the single Star Wars film, the latter score is infinitely better in every regard; however, in terms of what is more popular at the moment, of course the more recent epic (with the pre-established fanbase) will be considered fleetingly as "the best thing evaaaahh".

I personally feel that pretty much any score could have worked in LOTR. The film MADE the score. But you could argue that for Star Wars, the score MADE the film. Who would have continued watching if it weren't for that single spine-tingling moment early on in the piece: the binary sunset. This make my hairs raise just thinking about it.

But again, I must just be a ranting fanboy.