I just don't care anymore

Morlock

So, Ghostbusters sold out. I was planning on getting it, was a bit too late. I don't care. The FSM Bernstein set is due soon. I could get the $200 to buy it, but I don't give a damn. Goodbye Mr. Chips came out. I might get it eventually, I have have no desire to get it other than the fact that I am a JW completist. Magic is gonna sell out any day now. I doubt I'll get it, despite the fat that I am (was?) a Goldsmith completist.

I'm just sick and tired of these new releases of old score. Enough. There'll always be another once in a lifetime release that on ebay is gonna cost me about 1000% more than if I'd bought it originally. I'm tired of living in the past. I am more excited by the latest Zimmer, Horner, Williams, or Howard score than by a 27 year old Goldsmith score. It was here when I was born, it'll be here when I die. Hopefully I'll be rich someday and buy it, but, right now, I'm tired of the pressure of buying these scores. Especialy since I still haven't gotten the CDs I ordered from Varese 3 months ago, and their costumer service is one step short of the Third Reich's.

So until my mood changes, I'll be listening to the recent Williams, Zimmer, Powell, Howard and Horner scores, listen to my old favorites whenever I feel like it, and listen to the Beatles and Prokofiev the rest of the time. And Shakira.

I'm tired of this depressive and opressive film scoring fandom thingy, always looking to the past, spoiling the fun and enjoyment of the works of art that have been and are being created.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree.....I too was thinking about getting Ghostbusters but then saw it suddenly was sold out....I said forget it.

That's why a lot of times I don't like scores being released as limited editions...because a lot of people buy so many copies then sell them for a lot more to try and make a few bucks...and that is just one reason why they go out so quickly...

It is indeed frusterating....

Why buy an old Williams or Goldsmith score when you can get a ZIMMER score?! I mean, The DaVinci Code and Madagascar alone are worth more time listening to that ten other Williams or Goldsmith scores. If you disagree, you are not a forward thinker.

:roll:

Goodbye, Mr. Chips is not a limited edition disc. Get it whenever you like.

How do you know that? Were you involved with this somehow? :mrgreen:

So, Ghostbusters sold out. I was planning on getting it, was a bit too late. I don't care. The FSM Bernstein set is due soon. I could get the $200 to buy it, but I don't give a damn. Goodbye Mr. Chips came out. I might get it eventually, I have have no desire to get it other than the fact that I am a JW completist. Magic is gonna sell out any day now. I doubt I'll get it, despite the fat that I am (was?) a Goldsmith completist.

I'm just sick and tired of these new releases of old score. Enough. There'll always be another once in a lifetime release that on ebay is gonna cost me about 1000% more than if I'd bought it originally. I'm tired of living in the past. I am more excited by the latest Zimmer, Horner, Williams, or Howard score than by a 27 year old Goldsmith score. It was here when I was born, it'll be here when I die. Hopefully I'll be rich someday and buy it, but, right now, I'm tired of the pressure of buying these scores. Especialy since I still haven't gotten the CDs I ordered from Varese 3 months ago, and their costumer service is one step short of the Third Reich's.

So until my mood changes, I'll be listening to the recent Williams, Zimmer, Powell, Howard and Horner scores, listen to my old favorites whenever I feel like it, and listen to the Beatles and Prokofiev the rest of the time. And Shakira.

I'm tired of this depressive and opressive film scoring fandom thingy, always looking to the past, spoiling the fun and enjoyment of the works of art that have been and are being created.

Couldn't agree more, Morlock. Except for the Shakira thing.

There's nothing wrong with Shakira physically.

Oh well your loss, if you prefer Zimmer over the great music of the past then there's not much to say.

I will say I get tired of people whining about how music is released. Nothing's promised to you, you can either afford it or you can't. You either want it or you don't want it. That goes for everything in life not just film music.

How do you feel about endless whining of each release's little inconsequential idiosyncracies then? That goes for pretty much DVD editions, too, not just film music.

Goodbye, Mr. Chips is not a limited edition disc. Get it whenever you like.

How do you know that? Were you involved with this somehow? :mrgreen:

The package itself and wording at the FSM page don't say it's limited.

Neil

It can get annoying as well in certain cases and I think I've made a point in other posts about that as well.

Right now as film music fans we are extremely lucky and I do mean lucky. For those of you who are in the 14 to 25 age range and beginning your soundtrack collections you a have a wealth of choices. There is so much stuff out there that I thought would never see the light of day. Even with current films we are seeing a wealth of releases that probably wouldn't have been available years ago.

But what do we do? We complain complain complain. The cover art sucks, The track titles are lame, there's too much music on the CD, the liner notes don't explain enough, Where is Back to The Future? these are dumb track titles, 5 seconds of snare drums is missing, poeple bitch about not getting a club release of a score that just came out the previous year, etc etc etc etc.

I mean we hear from those involved about certain scores and their availability, why they can or cannot be released and yet we don't listen, we still whine and complain.

You should really be thankful you're getting these releases in the first place. That you have so much to choose from, that certain labels and people actually care about getting these scores out to the public.

I will say when you get a DVD with poor production qualities, changing an award winning mono soundtrack to a crappy 5.1 mix or things like that then maybe there is room for complaint.

There is a difference when complaining about quality over quantity. As a consumer you should be able to complain about quality.

Right now as film music fans we are extremely lucky and I do mean lucky. For those of you who are in the 14 to 25 age range and beginning your soundtrack collections you a have a wealth of choices. There is so much stuff out there that I thought would never see the light of day. Even with current films we are seeing a wealth of releases that probably wouldn't have been available years ago.

Oh yes. I remember when I just started, and was buying stuff like the Star Wars trilogy, the 25th AE Jaws release and Superman. All of these were pretty much complete. For a while I was only seeking out complete releases, until of course, it dawned on me that not every score has one, or has even had a regular release. I guess I was spoiled in the beginning.

But what do we do? We complain complain complain. The cover art sucks, The track titles are lame, there's too much music on the CD, the liner notes don't explain enough, Where is Back to The Future? these are dumb track titles, 5 seconds of snare drums is missing, poeple bitch about not getting a club release of a score that just came out the previous year, etc etc etc etc.

I agree with you on this, but where is Back to the Future?

:mrgreen:

You should really be thankful you're getting these releases in the first place. That you have so much to choose from, that certain labels and people actually care about getting these scores out to the public.

True, though.

I will say when you get a DVD with poor production qualities, changing an award winning mono soundtrack to a crappy 5.1 mix or things like that then maybe there is room for complaint.

There is a difference when complaining about quality over quantity. As a consumer you should be able to complain about quality.

Yes, yes, yes, indeed!

It can get annoying as well in certain cases and I think I've made a point in other posts about that as well.  

I mean we hear from those involved about certain scores and their availability, why they can or cannot be released and yet we don't listen, we still whine and complain.

Well, there's a very reasonable post I think I'll be coming back to quite often.

Ah well, even good posts come to an end.

Wow, I didn't know this was an issue with some people. I can't imagine getting worked up to the point that you feel real pressure about purchasing a score. Of course, since a lot of these things are limited editions, then you would logically want to get it as soon as possible, especially if you know it will be in high demand. However, if you don't want to worry about it, then don't worry. No need killing yourself over a CD, when, in the end, you can always buy it used or probably get the mp3s from someone on this site :baaa:

If you see others clamoring and bumbling over each other about getting a score, then just ignore or disregard it. No one can force you, right? You end up putting the pressure on yourself.

Tim

I'm 14, and the only thing I'm complaining about is how expensive some of these limited releases are. :?

Goodbye, Mr. Chips is not a limited edition disc.  Get it whenever you like.

Neil

And it's a great release! I'm not usually much of a fan of "musicals" and yet I had those disks in my car CD player for about 2 weeks. The overture is a treat, as are pretty much all of the songs. Did I Fill the World With Love is particularly lovely. The interview segments are great too, and reveal so much about how attitudes have changed.

Petula Clark: "I'm not really an actress I'm a singer. I'm quite surprised at being asked to do this".

Imagine Britney Spears saying that. Nowadays these talentless little snots think they're god's gift no matter what they're trying to do.

Thanks for remembering me that i bought the 30th anniversary edition of Jaws the other day, and i was freaked to find a new dubbed spanish version! Where is the cozy old one?! :P. Superman suffered this too.

And i suppose i even have a 5.1 crappy mix in english too.

Well, what can one expect for 7.50€...

I still need to get the R1 release of Jaws. The Dutch version contains neither the original mono track, nor the full documentary. Ironically, some of the parts cut from the documentary did appear on the previous release.

- Marc, who can wait, though.

Superman suffered this too.

I'm in no position to argue about the quality of both mixes, but in the case of the Spanish dub, I think that the one we hear in the Superman DVD is far, far superior to the original one. Back in the 70's, big fantasy films were not considered of artistic value - hence, they used their "lesser" dub artists for them.

Actually, that's my favorite dub actress. She "played" Lois in Lois & Clark which I thought was great, and she also does all of Jodie Foster's roles. I'm not sure she was Heidi, though.

Actually, that's my favorite dub actress. She "played" Lois in Lois & Clark which I thought was great, and she also does all of Jodie Foster's roles. I'm not sure she was Heidi, though.

Wasnt the lois voice also the narrator girl/boy from the opening? That is definately Heidi.

I just thought that film score fans would be past their teenage years. I guess that is what you get when you generalize.

I'm 19. I've liked film scores since '93. When I watched Jurassic Park for the first time.

You're going to have to check your childhood nostalgia, Luke.

I was speaking of the Original version! :P

http://www.eldoblaje.com/datos/FichaActorD...laje.asp?id=894

So they used Lois & Clack voice. Thats good for continuity. For clark too or the other characters?