I dont care what people say Zimmer is awesome

pi

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I listen to Zimmer, I hear...

Stupidity. That's what it is. You could headbang to Zimmer's action music. I just listened to "Davy Jones" from Pirates 2, and it's so god damn melancholy (or it tries to be). Why does a creepy villain have a completely non-dissonant theme - no evil, no humor, only sadness? The Pirates music is all melancholy. Ooh, so tragic! What better way to score a funny, light-hearted film series than by trying to make the audience lose all hope in life?

That's not to suggest that Zimmer's music has some powerful, deeply unsettling effect. "Barry's Abduction" might have that (by the way, let's hear Zimmer write something like "Abduction"). It's more like the bad rock music your friends (or your children's friends) listen to. "Emo," you know? It's simplistic despair for no apparent reason. "I'm cool because I'm sad. Zimmer's music is cool because it's dark." Yes, to me, it's that bad.

I don't need to go into the cut-corner production values, ghost writing, synthesizers, or laziness which Zimmer has admitted to amply indulging in. We know about all that.

I realize this post will be extremely blood-boiling to the Zimmer fans. To be truthful, I'm musically very elitist and can't stand the "plebeian" tastes of the masses. I'm sorry.

I see what you're saying Cerrabore, but I think that the sad theme for Davy Jones will pay off in the 3rd film. It's just a guess, but it seems like his backstory will be made clear in the next one since it was only hinted at in Dead Man's Chest. And just look at the character - we see Davy Jones playing his own theme on the organ, so it's not as if the theme is totally random. Check out the Wikipedia entry on his character - it provides a bit of insight into the character. He's not a happy pirate!

And don't forget, the director and producer have final say over the music, so if we get a sad, melancholy theme for the bad guy instead of a 'funny, light-hearted' theme, it's because that's what the suits want; it's not simply the failing of Zimmer.

Van Helsing was very much an extension of The Mummy Returns, although thematically not as interesting.

.....but it was still a terrific score. Very fun, makes for an excellent listen.

overall  I feel Zimmer's lack of flourishes and stagnant, repetive nature somehow strikes a chord with the viewer easily and clearly showing them the emotion of the moment.  Him and his staff really somehow do this very well, hence their sucess and constant projects.  Zimmer creates a very simple relationship between the film the music and the audience, he is not writing to show off or win oscars. I can see why directors and producers love the man, he doesn't change much but doesn't miss t he ball hardly ever.

I dont quite agree with the rest, but I've always said something to this effect about most MV music. ;)

I finally get the point of this thread.

by awesome Pi means sucks.

he wrote started this thread on opposite day.

ahhhh,

makes so much more sense now.

Yes indeed, Zimmer sucks, but on opposite day he's awesome. cool.

I actually rather like the use of electric guitars to represent the evil Pirates in this series. It gives the characters and story a kind of rock-opera "Rocky Horror Picture Show" feel that suits the hilarious stints and skits very well.

But, as already mentioned by other Williams (et. al.) fans, I wouldn't choose to listen to the music out of the film, appropriate as it is in-film. Williams just so happens to be more conscious of his final album-cut more so than other composers. Which is both a good (for soundtrack) and sometimes bad (for film) thing. Sometimes.

ahhhh,

If you wrote this on an opposite day you would mean awesome instead of sucks signified by awesome.

ahhhh,

And every day is archaic tastes day for Joe. ;)

Wave your cane at us ol' man! ;):mrgreen:

Just kidding.... :)

Van Helsing was very much an extension of The Mummy Returns, although thematically not as interesting.

.....but it was still a terrific score. Very fun, makes for an excellent listen.

A little too bombastic at times but it is a fun listen at times.

I prefer The Mummy Returns.

<<<<========= (see avatar)

Its official, i am crazy

-pi

whos pretty sure he used to look down upon zimmer

you should have seen it coming pi, afterall you like soccer too.

I'm sorry, and I hate to say it, so may Johnny forgive me but John Williams would ruin Pirates. The only one who could come in, and do a more fitting job than Zimmer and co, is Alan Silvestri with a score in the same vain as Van Helsing. Not Mummy, not Back to the Future, but Van Helsing.

So what you're saying is, anything less than a score as unrefined as a boat oar hitting you over the head repeatedly would just not do. Please. Williams contribution would have been stellar, had he untertaken Pirates.

So what you're saying is, anything less than a score as unrefined as a boat oar hitting you over the head repeatedly would just not do. Please. Williams contribution would have been stellar, had he untertaken Pirates.

LOL

To each his own, my dear man. :mrgreen:

And I will only say that directors who hire Zimmer generally get the scores their films deserve. :mrgreen:

Exactly!

On second thoughts, Batman Begins deserved a better score.

Yeah man,

That score was poo,

But I don't hate Zimmer, I'm not crazy about him even though I thought Prince of Egypt was incredible

But I don't hate Zimmer, I'm not crazy about him even though I thought Prince of Egypt was incredible.

Sal, Hans Zimmer may seem like just a mild-mannered composer, but listen, not only does he know how to treat his directors with the proper respect, not only does he have a snappy, punchy composing style, but he is, in my 80 years in this business, the fastest orchestrator I've ever seen.

But I don't hate Zimmer, I'm not crazy about him even though I thought Prince of Egypt was incredible.

Sal, Hans Zimmer may seem like just a mild-mannered composer, but listen, not only does he know how to treat his directors with the proper respect, not only does he have a snappy, punchy composing style, but he is, in my 80 years in this business, the fastest orchestrator I've ever seen.

4 real or was this a joke? :oops:

And i know some of you guys will give me the standard anti - zimmer arguments.  I dont care, you are wrong.

Your opinion is right and my opinion is wrong. Alright then.

as opposed to zimmer who seems to invoke indrustrial power

You're right. When I'm watching a movie about 18th century pirates I want to be reminded of industrial noise.

;)

ROTFLMAO

Heeey, how the hell do I know? ;)

We all like John William's music, but we need a variety. John William wouldn't be special to us if everyone made music as well as John Williams does. Zimmer uses different techniques and has a different sound.

We all like John William's music, but we need a variety. John William wouldn't be special to us if everyone made music as well as John Williams does. Zimmer uses different techniques and has a different sound.

You mean to say "without hell, there can be no heaven"? :P

People who like Zimmer's DMC music don't scare me and I say let them have it. Those who really believe that this stuff actually enhances the picture and that a John Williams score would not work give me the creeps.

I thought this thing would never go the distance.

Sorry Hitch I had to say something.... ;)

Always trust a Texan to open his mouth. :P