World Trade Center Film Score

JMan

If you go to WTCMovie.com you can hear practically all of Armstrong's score for this film! It starts out with cello! Awesome stuff, I recommend it!

JMan

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me honestly, I think it could be 10 years down the road and people would still be saying its too soon. Just my thoughts.

I agree with you king mark, Anakin's Betrayal would be perfect.

I keep thinking Anakin's Betrayal would be great for a shot of the towers falling down  

Yeah, especially the somber chior at the beginning of the track.

It's a question of how much the filmmakers can be trusted with the material. Paul Greengrass was very reverent in his approach to United 93. I'm more cynical about what to expect from Oliver Stone.

Consider the difference between Tora Tora Tora vs. Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor. While both of these came out decades after 12/7/1941, clearly the first film is a revered classic while the latter is a much derided abomination that plays on patriotic sentiment while ultimately just picking your pocket.

It is all about the intent of the filmmaker. United 93 is said to be one of those films that should be watched no matter how painful it is. I don't hear the same chatter coming out about WTC.

the first film is a revered classic

Tora Tora Tora was never revered in any way shape of form, it was a box ofice failure, which got luke warm reviews.

I've seen it, the film really is not actually all that good. The American actors all act like they are in a chear TV production without any kind of conviction or even effort. The special effects are good for it's day, but you can still see too often that they are blowing up model boats.

The Japanese parts of the film (filmed by a completely different director and crew) is by far the best part of the film.

And of course it has a very effective Goldsmith score.

For me, it seems that the people complaining that it is too soon think that a film made anytime before they are dead is too soon. That may be a valid point, but I agree that it is all about the quality of the film. What little I have heard about World Trade Center is that it is a film that takes place in the event, but is about the heroism not only surrounding this event, but surrounding all of humanity. I look forward to seeing it. For me, the event did not take on meaning until much later. Therefore, this will give me the opportunity to react to it as it happened. I did not experience anything when I saw the towers fall. I didn't understand. Now I do.

~Conor

The problem with this kind of film is that outside US, american patritism looks like cheap patriotism. Sorry guys but that's true with many people in Europe, not only Spain. I really don't know much about how it was handled in United 93, but, I think Oliver Stone can fail in many aspects, but won't fail in making the movie uselessly over-patriotic. I think/hope he will find the balance.

For me, it seems that the people complaining that it is too soon think that a film made anytime before they are dead is too soon.  That may be a valid point, but I agree that it is all about the quality of the film.  What little I have heard about World Trade Center is that it is a film that takes place in the event, but is about the heroism not only surrounding this event, but surrounding all of humanity.  I look forward to seeing it.  For me, the event did not take on meaning until much later.  Therefore, this will give me the opportunity to react to it as it happened.  I did not experience anything when I saw the towers fall.  I didn't understand.  Now I do.

~Conor

My thoughts exactly. I too didn't really understand what was happening when I saw the towers fall, I was only ten at the time, though.

For me, it seems that the people complaining that it is too soon think that a film made anytime before they are dead is too soon.  That may be a valid point, but I agree that it is all about the quality of the film.  What little I have heard about World Trade Center is that it is a film that takes place in the event, but is about the heroism not only surrounding this event, but surrounding all of humanity.  I look forward to seeing it.  For me, the event did not take on meaning until much later.  Therefore, this will give me the opportunity to react to it as it happened.  I did not experience anything when I saw the towers fall.  I didn't understand.  Now I do.

~Conor

My thoughts exactly. I too didn't really understand what was happening when I saw the towers fall, I was only ten at the time, though.

I just thought a bunch of buildings were on fire. I didn't even know the buildings existed.

It looks like it might be ridiculously sappy (the film, at least). And the score's track titles are pretty bland.

I really hope this movie is more United 93 than Pearl Harbor.

~Sturgis - ;)

I was pissed drunk when those towers fell,so I didn't understand what was going on very well either

K.M.

the first film is a revered classic

Tora Tora Tora was never revered in any way shape of form, it was a box ofice failure, which got luke warm reviews.

I've seen it, the film really is not actually all that good. The American actors all act like they are in a chear TV production without any kind of conviction or even effort. The special effects are good for it's day, but you can still see too often that they are blowing up model boats.

The Japanese parts of the film (filmed by a completely different director and crew) is by far the best part of the film.

And of course it has a very effective Goldsmith score.

True, the film is not revered but it is considered the most accurate acount of the events of the day. Part of the reason why this film was not the success it could have been was because it was released when the US was still heavily involved in Vietnam. So naturally public sentiment for a war film was at an all time low. And it was not restricted to films either. Jeff Shaara's Pulitzer prize winning novel The Killer Angels, later filmed as Gettysburg, and published during the Vietnam War was not a great commercial success either despite it winning one of the most prestigious literary awards in the world.

However a few years earlier in Britain the war film Battle of Britain opened in spectacular style and was an instant success but this would have been partly due to England not being involved in any armed conflict anywhere.

I have no desire to re-live 9/11 nor will I go see the film.

Watching it all unfold live on TV that day was enough for me.

I was pissed drunk when those towers fell,so I didn't understand what was going on very well either  

Didn't they collapse in the morning or early afternoon?

Ray Barnsbury

The problem with this kind of film is that outside US, american patritism looks like cheap patriotism. Sorry guys but  that's true with many people in Europe, not only Spain. I really don't know much about how it was handled in United 93, but, I think Oliver Stone can fail in many aspects, but won't fail in making the movie uselessly over-patriotic. I think/hope he will find the balance.

sorry if American patriotism puts you off, at least we express our patriotism, but this film isn't about patriotism, its about survival. Unlike United 93, this is a true story, not pure conjecture. These men portrayed were and are real.

I don't understand why some of you Europeans hate us for our patriotism, maybe its because there arn't any left over their, I don't know. Anyway it doesn't matter, all I hope for is a decent film.

These men portrayed were and are real.

I don't understand why some of you Europeans hate us for our patriotism, maybe its because there arn't any left over their, .

Because it always seems to overbearing and not to mention shallow.

To me American patriotism seems like the moronic spectacle the Dutch put on for the World Cup or Euro Cup.

But in this case it's going on 365 days a year instead of 4 weeks or so every 2 years.

I don't understand why some of you Europeans hate us for our patriotism, maybe its because there arn't any left over their, .

To me American patriotism seems like the moronic spectacle the Dutch put on for the World Cup or Euro Cup.

But in this case it's going on 365 days a year instead of 4 weeks or so every 2 years.

Exactly

I just saw another TV spot for World Trade Center. It looks like it's too dramatized, not "real" like United 93. And IMO there ought to be different color pallet than what they're showing in the spots, it looks too warm, it ought to be more like PoA or Minority Report; I think like a DoP. :)

Now, I know United 93 isn't the standard by which to judge all future 9/11 films, but I think it was very appropriate for many reasons. It felt "real:" a) it wasn't sappy at all; b)it was shot like a documentary; I don't think they even had a tripod on set, and c) they used all no-names for the cast; some people even played themselves. Also, seeing the planes crash on TV made you feel just like you did when it actually happened. I know World Trade Center is a different kind of film, but if I were a 9/11 survivor, I have to say, I wouldn't want Nick Cage playing me in a movie.

I really hope the collision/collapse scene is unscored or very subtly scored; the visuals ought to be enough without heartwrenching music.

Rant over. Despite all that, I really will try to have an open mind when seeing the film.

~Sturgis

In my opinion, the problem with this kind of film is precisely when it has been tried to portray it as 'real'. All those advantages you sum up don't count in my book. I'm not supporting Stone or something on this, I haven't seen any footage, and I'm not talking about his dramatization, but dramatization, in the sense of getting it out there as film, (not in the sense of sappy soapy drama) is the way to go. The 'tricks' to make it real, as you mention, the palette, the shaking camera, are just that, tricks. It's painful to see how you can see the shots screaming out 'look at me, I'm real', and evoking cathartic and emotional reactions from the public (in other words, projecting it into the events). They should have gone for a Cronenbergian, 'theatricized' way of filming; films like this should make a statement as 'film', and not as 'reality'. That handheld camera is as bad as those fake totally unnecessary reconstructions in documentaries which mostly single out objects or blurry police/firebrigade images (in order to make those documentaries more 'narrative').

United 93 specifically.

I'm not opposed to shaky-cam in general, not at all, but I am a bit opposed to the recent 'trendiness' of it I guess (which has nothing to do with Un 93 though, I hope). Anyway, I loathe the Flemish TV series Flikken :)

I've yet to see that film, but I thought Greengrass' use of shakycam (and documentary-style story telling) in Bloody Sunday was very, very effective.

Exactly

Well, it's interesting, though, because the way the U.S. was founded was much different than European nations. It is more common here to wave the flag all of the time because we're so young and we're founded by immigrants. This is a nation based entirely on the concept of self-rule, on the things for which we are patriotic. It is therefore understandable that we are stridently patriotic. We have a short history, but it is one entirely steeped in patriotism. Our forefathers were patriotic. It's difficult to pinpoint an exact moment in time where a ton of guys got together, fought for, and founded any other nation. Maybe my European history is completely wrong, but really, because we've always been patriotic, we always will be. Those growing up see it and imitate it, then it repeats, for better or for worse.

Let me know if I am overstepping my political bounds here.

From the little of the score that I have heard, however, it seems to be tragically beautiful. I think it's neat that there are cello, choral, and piano themes. In fact, I think it's just right. The music does need to grip you, as this is a movie, not the real events. If the movie is indeed a film, not "real," then the music needs to fit that description, which I think it will do nicely.

~Conor

I agree that World Trade Center should be a film, but it shouldn't be overly-dramatized, either, which I think is what you were saying, Lotman. :)

Shakycam works well sometimes, but it also looks like shit sometimes (as in Miami Vice :)).

~Sturgis

I think the use of shakycam in home videos is the worst, though. It has become so cliché, you just wonder if all parents have just lost the will to create something original.

~Conor

United 93 specifically.

I'm not opposed to shaky-cam in general, not at all, but I am a bit opposed to the recent 'trendiness' of it

Hardly recent. It's been a cliched way of making something seem gritty and realistic for years how.

Didn't NYPD Blue started the craze?

Stefancos- who also hates Flikken....

United 93 specifically.

I'm not opposed to shaky-cam in general, not at all, but I am a bit opposed to the recent 'trendiness' of it

Hardly recent. It's been a cliched way of making something seem gritty and realistic for years how.

Didn't NYPD Blue started the craze?

Stefancos- who also hates Flikken....

And was solidified with The Blair Witch Project.

:P

I think that the music is very beautiful. There's a little dissonance in the choral piece, but I think it is very effective. The whole score sounds ethereal and reflective. I think I want to use the word provocative, but that doesn't sound right. I can't tell if there are any themes within the score itself, surrounding any of the characters, but the themes themselves are quite fitting for what the movie appears to be, so I am excited about it, however morbid that makes me.

~Conor

It doesn't make you morbid at all. Since Oliver Stone is making it, it'll just be a conspiracy-disaster movie instead of being too close to what actually happened, so look forward to it all you want. United 93 was a tribute, this is just going to be a overdramatic, big-name actor, movie.

• 4 weeks later...

Saw the movie, liked it very much. Just bought the score Monday. Extremely beautiful stuff, I recommend it to everyone here. The first cello theme is just wonderful, and my second favorite is the choral theme, and then the Elegy towards the end of the album. I guess Hollywood Studio Symph is doing this in concert soon.

Buy it!

Beautiful score. I never cease to be amazed at how such simply constructed themes can be incredibly moving, and very well integrated into the score (I didn't notice the cello theme in The Drive Downtown until the third or so listen).

Highly recommended 8O

Related to that, I saw United 93 recently, which was incredibly realistic and Powell's score made the final few minutes an incredible experience.