Which score has your favorite CD design?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love James Horner's Casper. It LOOKS like a blank black disc but at certain angles you can make out the outline of Casper and the title. Pretty neat.

-Erik-

Too many CDs to choose from.

Some of Toho's Godzilla CDs from the Perfect Box collections have nice designs on them.

Not a score CD, but the CD of Klaus Schulze's Irrlicht (1972) is etched to look like a vinyl album, black with the vinyl groove actually etched into it. Now I know there are many CDs with this type of design nowadays, the "retro" look, but what makes the Schulze so special is that you can actually see the CD tracks etched into the design with the correct track length allocated to each groove! Very geeky, and very cool. Most people who own the disk probably don't even notice it.

Not a score CD, but the CD of Klaus Schulze's Irrlicht (1972) is etched to look like a vinyl album, black with the vinyl groove actually etched into it. Now I know there are many CDs with this type of design nowadays, the "retro" look, but what makes the Schulze so special is that you can actually see the CD tracks etched into the design with the correct track length allocated to each groove! Very geeky, and very cool. Most people who own the disk probably don't even notice it.

This reminds me of the Decca "Legends" series. I have a Karajan-conducted Nutcracker with disc that looks like a reel of magnetic tape for a reel-to-reel tape machine. Very cool. That accurate groove spacing you're describing is crazy stuff!

Okay, now to go the opposite direction: what is your LEAST favorite cd design??

There's a bunch in that category. I think the ultimate sin is the lazy approach-- just the barebones stuff on the disc, and the insert is empty inside, just the cover folded once over. I think of "Chariots of Fire" on that one.

The DG Originals (sorry, couldn't find any images online, and it's way too hot here right now to crawl around and plug in my scanner) use that "retro look", too - they probably were among the first to do this, at least I first noticed it there, many years ago. The album covers are based on the original LP covers (the Originals series consists of re-releases of classic analogue recordings), only "flipped" a bit to give it a trendier look, and with the Originals logo in one ege; the CDs themselves are styled to look like LPs, only smaller, with a bit of specular highlight on the blakish part and the classic DG design for the center bit.

Oh, and a lot of the recordings in the series are just as great as the design. ;)

I love James Horner's Casper.  It LOOKS like a blank black disc but at certain angles you can make out the outline of Casper and the title.  Pretty neat.

-Erik-

You mean like Memoirs of a Geisha?

Okay, now to go the opposite direction: what is your LEAST favorite cd design??

I hate those CDs (usually old CDs) which have nothing more than the plain text of its titles and tracks. however, if you are talking about designs which are actually bad...well, I'll have to think about that for a while

My favourite cd designs are theste from "The Two Towers" and "Jaws - the collectors edition".

As far as my least favourite design is concerned, I can subscribe to what BurgaFlippinMan wrote in the previous post.

The booklet has the track listing in it, but it's in the middle of the book, so you have to take the insert out of the case and fold it open to read it. But at least it's accessible when you're playing the CD.

It doesn't have track numbers though, so you have to count them. And it gets a lot of greasy finger prints on that nice, black cover.

Its also missing the track times.

It doesn't have track numbers though, so you have to count them. And it gets a lot of greasy finger prints on that nice, black cover.

Yeah, those black covers get real smudgy real fast.

Same goes for the back of the 97 SE SW trilogy and Greatest Hits 69-99. In all four cases u have to dig out the thick booklet if you are feeling lazy to count

The Patriot is pretty neat with the stars from the American flag. And not only does Elfman's Planet of the Apes have a cool looking disc, it's one of the most attractive cover designs I've seen in a long time. Sony really make their CDs look interesting at times.

"The Lost World" has a STICKER that reveals the titles if I remember correctly.  Oh, man...

I have the lousy "diorama version," which means that it gets snagged when you slide it back on the shelf between two other cds, AND it gets totally smashed flat and you can't even read the spine.

Come to think of it, THAT's how I know the cd case I'm seeing on the shelf is The Lost World! It's the smashed one!

how many versions of Lost World are there? The ones they used to sell here years ago (I regret not buying one) was the pop up dinos one...

I have the pop up one, but not with a sticker. The tracklist is properly printed on the back.

There is also a version in a jewel case that came with the Jurassic Park/Lost World DVD giftset. The cover art matches the DVDs. The set also came with the OST for the first film.

I had the dinorama too, but I took the whole package and transformed it into a Jewel Case. It's pretty easy.

Anyway my fav's are the Sony Columbia remasters they do for certain artist, Miles Davis and Bob Dylan per example. They are really great and classy.

Worse : CEOT3K's mirror "We are not alone". Wow that's, deep. LOL

It's basically blank, with the text "We Are Not Alone" printed on it, the Arista logo, and some copyright notices.

That's the Collector's Edition, btw.

how many versions of Lost World are there? The ones they used to sell here years ago (I regret not buying one) was the pop up dinos one...

I have the pop up one, but not with a sticker. The tracklist is properly printed on the back.

There is also a version in a jewel case that came with the Jurassic Park/Lost World DVD giftset. The cover art matches the DVDs. The set also came with the OST for the first film.

I bought the DVD set when it came out and got rid of that damn pop-up Lost World CD.

Yeah but it's more plain than a CD-R or a redbook CD with text on it, you can see yourself almost as good as a mirror. It's deep, man. "We are not alone". You see yourself reflected. Somebody was too stoned I guess... LOL

I found The Lost World: Jurassic Park at Sanity for $30 a few years ago.  When I took it to the counter, they gave it to me for $1.

Got my Lost World (the pop-up dino one) for $3.