Your Favorite Foiled Plans in Movies

BLUMENKOHL

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luke and the Rebellion blowing up the Death Star.

That actually bummed me out. I wanted the Nazi poster boy to die! he's so friggin' annoying! Peter Cushing- now THERE'S someone who I'd like to see in a sequel.

to Morlock:

awesome Amy reference (at least, I hope that's what you were referencing)

to JMan:

when will Hanks do another weird comedy with the awesome Corey Feldman? please...tell me when ::sniff::

Actually, that plan was never foiled. It was quite successful, only the final goal was unattainable, irrlevant of Indy. Yup, Indiana Jones was quite superfluous to the main plot of Raiders of The Lost Ark.

I enjoyed the 9-season conspiracy plot in THE X-FILES (including the movie). Sure, it was drawn out way too long and had inconsistencies, but the sheer scope and size of the plot by the Syndicate and the Alien Colonists was impressive. Whether it will be foiled or not in the long run will most likely be determined if there is another film or two...

Actually, that plan was never foiled. It was quite successful, only the final goal was unattainable, irrlevant of Indy. Yup, Indiana Jones was quite superfluous to the main plot of Raiders of The Lost Ark.

It was foiled; by the greed and curiosity of Belloq. It's doubtful Hitler really would have wanted him to "test" the Ark before delivering it to him. Had he not performed the ritual and opened the Ark, the plan would have succeeded (but in turn also show that the goal was unattainable).

That's my view of things, anyway.

I enjoyed the 9-season conspiracy plot in THE X-FILES (including the movie). Sure, it was drawn out way too long and had inconsistencies, but the sheer scope and size of the plot by the Syndicate and the Alien Colonists was impressive. Whether it will be foiled or not in the long run will most likely be determined if there is another film or two...

Good call.....I recently got all 9 seasons on DVD and it's a much better experience than it was on TV.....

The Mythology plot on that show was terrible in Seasons 8-9. Season 8 was somewhat tolerable because Mulder returned for the second half of the season, but I only stick around in Season 9 for the "Monster of the Week" episodes.

I'd love to know if Michael Caine finally managed to get all the gold off that precariously see-sawing bus at the end of "The Italian Job."

In a BBC documentary to celebrate his 70th birthday in March 2003, Michael Caine revealed his character's "great idea", and the deleted ending of the film, as the gang's bus teeters on the edge of a cliff. "The next thing that happens is you turn the engine on," he said. "You all sit exactly where you are until all the petrol has run out, which changes the equilibrium. We all jump out of the bus and the gold goes over the cliff. And at the bottom are the Italian mafia, sitting waiting for the gold."

- IMDB.com

Good call.....I recently got all 9 seasons on DVD and it's a much better experience than it was on TV.....

I haven't gotten around to it, but I will eventually watch this entire series. I only saw a re-run of season 1 at one point, but have never seen an episode beyond that. Only the movie.

I'd love to know if Michael Caine finally managed to get all the gold off that precariously see-sawing bus at the end of "The Italian Job."

In a BBC documentary to celebrate his 70th birthday in March 2003, Michael Caine revealed his character's "great idea", and the deleted ending of the film, as the gang's bus teeters on the edge of a cliff. "The next thing that happens is you turn the engine on," he said. "You all sit exactly where you are until all the petrol has run out, which changes the equilibrium. We all jump out of the bus and the gold goes over the cliff. And at the bottom are the Italian mafia, sitting waiting for the gold."

- IMDB.com

Thankyou, Mr. Breathmask...fascinating and food for thought. I'm now going to try and picture the ending as it might have been filmed.

I kind of prefer the "catch 22" situation that is the official ending. Having said that the Italian Mafia ending is a great gag. I just think it might have baen a bit anticlimactic. The official ending is quite literally a cliffhanger. A smashing ending to a groovy movie baby, YEAH!

It was foiled; by the greed and curiosity of Belloq. It's doubtful Hitler really would have wanted him to "test" the Ark before delivering it to him. Had he not performed the ritual and opened the Ark, the plan would have succeeded (but in turn also show that the goal was unattainable).

This brings up an interesting point, which is what would have happened if Belloq brought the Ark to Hitler instead of testing it. The Ark would have killed Hitler, so it seems that Belloq foiled more than one plan with his greed....

I had to mention that one. I referenced it earlier today in a completely different situation and someone picked up on it, so that made me smile :P

Which is why I hate Agatha Christie stories. The one thing they're not (IMO) is well-crafted.

Do you have a good reputation on this board? If so, it's gone now.

I guess rob and I have different definitions of the word 'well-crafted.'

Which is why I hate Agatha Christie stories. The one thing they're not (IMO) is well-crafted.

Do you have a good reputation on this board? If so, it's gone now.

Well... I offered my opinions on Agatha Christie months ago. :)

I've read 12 or 13 of her books, seen quite a bit of the Poirot series (which greatly improved on the books IMO), as well as the film versions of Murder on the Orient Express and Death on the Nile. I find Poirot uninteresting (although the Poirot novels are much better than that Miss Marple trash! ;)), and the cases poorly structured. The perfect murder mystery - or rather, the ones I like - are the ones where the reader or viewer can try and come to a conclusion themselves - we are given all the clues the detective has, so - in theory, if we really thought about it - we could work it out as well. However, Christie seems to throw other clues at the last minute - i.e. right near the end, we suddenly find out x was married to y, who was z's uncle, and then Poirot comes out with some half-arsed conclusion that often contradicts clues we've been given, and involves a lot of guess-work and co-incidences. So even as pulp novels, they're unsastisfying.

You can say I have no appreciation of the classics, or whatever, but I have tried and tried with Christie's novels, but they just don't work for me. With, for example, the Sherlock Holmes stories, I never did figure out what was going on before I got to the end, but as soon as Holmes explains it, you suddenly realise you had all the clues to start with, and you think "why didn't I think of that?" That's what I like from a crime/detective novel. The other problem with Christie's style is the characters - there is no-one that I can relate to. In just about every good novel (or any form of fiction, for that matter), there is at least one character who acts as the connection between the story and the audience. In Christie novels, however, there is no-one I can relate to, and therefore there is no-one I care about. All the characters (good and bad) are stilted and artificial, with nothing "human" about any of them. You know you're in trouble when you find yourself wishing it's Poirot or Hastings who would be found with a knife in their back.

The best televised detective series (for me) has to be Inspector Morse - another example of an adaptation improving on the source material (as I suggested above, I do vaguely enjoy the Poirot TV series, but it's nothing special), because these characters are humans. They have real, human motives for these crimes - they're not just a bunch of cold-blooded loonies, they have famlies, relatives, friends, and you can actually understand why they commit these crimes, and even feel a little sorry for them when they are found out. Simlilarly, Morse and Lewis (especially the latter) are very human, and you want them to solve the case and come out in one piece. The Inspector Morse and Sherlock Holmes stories feel like they're based in reality, rather than being about a bunch of aliens in an alien world.

Just my opinion.