If the movie's in financial limbo, they ought to just hire midgets to play the hobbits, and slash their special effects budget of forced perspective, stand-ins, and combining shots by a great deal.

It worked for Willow, the original Hobbit...

For some reason I hope this film won't get made. Apart from getting another seven hours of Howard Shore's music, I can't imagine how could it possibly be interesting. It just doesn't seem like it, to be frank. I'm talking about the "enhanced" concept with all different characters (Aragorn and such).

Karol

Yea I wish they just did a straight-forward adaptation of The Hobbit novel without all the extra crap they want to do.

They should spent that time filming more scenes from LOTR to include in a future extended cut of that movie. I mean, they are rebuilding Hobbiton anyway; Might as well film more stuff from the opening of LOTR as well as the whole scouring of the shire sequence

For some reason I hope this film won't get made. Apart from getting another seven hours of Howard Shore's music, I can't imagine how could it possibly be interesting. It just doesn't seem like it, to be frank. I'm talking about the "enhanced" concept with all different characters (Aragorn and such).

As I said before, it depends on how/how much they expand it. Tolkien himself greatly expanded on the original Hobbit, first for its re-release when he wrote LOTR and also for LOTR's appendices. All that Elrond/Galadriel/White Council stuff is there, even if it's not in the original text, and should be in the movie.

As far as the supposed "linking movie" between Hobbit and LOTR goes... I can't really imagine that, but even if it turns out to be a turd, that won't hurt The Hobbit.

Yea I wish they just did a straight-forward adaptation of The Hobbit novel without all the extra crap they want to do.

They should spent that time filming more scenes from LOTR to include in a future extended cut of that movie. I mean, they are rebuilding Hobbiton anyway; Might as well film more stuff from the opening of LOTR as well as the whole scouring of the shire sequence

Well, they are rebuilding Hobbiton, but the design has been altered to accommodate del Toro's design ideas. It looks similar, but not identical... so unlike you want to have plenty of inconsistencies, I'd rather they leave LOTR alone (isn't it long enough anyway? ;-))

As far as the supposed "linking movie" between Hobbit and LOTR goes... I can't really imagine that, but even if it turns out to be a turd, that won't hurt The Hobbit.

Didn't they give up that plan anyway? I thought they tossed the idea because of legal problems or something? I may be mistaken, though.

It's a real annoying shame the rights were with MGM.

Its frustrating, they WANT to make the movie and make the LOTR series complete, but they cant.

This is not a flop franchise (Eragon, Golden compass...) to be let unfinished. IT MUST BE COMPLETE! :thumbup:

Wait, I thought they finally decided to tell The Hobbit in two films with all these... "appendices"?

That's exactly what I mean. They're trying to make this book into something it just isn't. It might seem like something intriguing... but more as an extra on the DVD or something.

Karol

165.jpg

The Lord of the Rings franchise is complete. The Hobbit is not required to understand the events of that story, nor would we need an interlude film to "flesh out" the appendices.

Tolkien also wrote the material that his son used to publish The Silmarillion. Will the success of a possible Hobbit movie make people clamor to see that book turned into a movie, too? How about a SyFy mini-series?

You mention Eragon and Golden Compass as unfinished flop franchises. Dune was made into two movies (one theatrical, one not), and the next two books were combined into a single TV-movie. Will people clamor for that book series to be turned into a complete movie franchise? (They get really weird by the end, I think that's what's stopping them.)

And I'm off-base here, but we got movies like The Ten Commandments and King of Kings; why is that film franchise unfinished?

And I'm off-base here, but we got movies like The Ten Commandments and King of Kings; why is that film franchise unfinished?

I want a prequel in which we see Annunaki aliens artificially create mankind.

:thumbup:

Well, they are rebuilding Hobbiton, but the design has been altered to accommodate del Toro's design ideas. It looks similar, but not identical... so unlike you want to have plenty of inconsistencies, I'd rather they leave LOTR alone (isn't it long enough anyway? ;-))

im all for Del Toro's new ideas, mainly with the more Wolf-like Wargs so.....

BRING ON THE HOBBIT!!!

Wait, I thought they finally decided to tell The Hobbit in two films with all these... "appendices"?

I don't know, I lost track long ago. But if they do Hobbit in two parts, they'll hardly be able to incorporate much in-between stuff, so the additions would probably just be the stuff that should be there anyway - White Council & Co.

Mmm technically, LOTR is the ending of the hobbit :P

Technically, Hobbit and LOTR are the ending of the Silmarillion. ;)

Why not a six part theatrical Silmarillion series? Now that would be truly great ...

Give 'em time, I'm sure they will. $$$

They just need to do away with all that god singing creation stuff at the beginning and the rest is perfect epic blockbuster fare.

I have two scenarios for Civilization II: one covers The Lord of the Rings and the other covers The Silmarillion. Both are pretty difficult, in that a few missteps early can totally ruin your game later on, so I never bothered much with them. I just remember Gondolin completely surrounded by unpassable mountain tiles, making it correctly inaccessible until late in the game.

They could also frame it within another story, like as if people from the Third Age of Middle Earth sat down around a campfire one night, and recounted the story of the entire age of the world up to that point. The issue is that it would totally confuse the audience -- how do you distinguish between the events of the "present" and each epoch of the past as the tale of the Silmarils progresses -- and represent a three-four hour stall as they tell this story.

Could Gandalf tell the entire history of The Silmarillion as one long flashback to Bilbo as they march to Erebor, and kill two birds with one stone? Possibly, but it would introduce a lot more apocrypha into PJ's version than is already there, as he already excised most of the histories and poetry from the story in the epic bloodbaths he filmed.

I repeat: The Sil must be done as a pseudo documentary series, Attenborough/Sagan style.

Love the autotuned version.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought everyone does when writing it like that. It's only in shorthand (i.e. 22/09/2010) when we switch it around.

Wikipedia's explanation of "calendar date" just shows how increasingly confusing it can be.

"Expressing dates in spoken English

In British English, full dates are usually written as 7 December 1941...and spoken as "the seventh of December, nineteen forty-one" (exceedingly common usage of "the" and "of"), with the occasional usage of December 7, 1941 ("December the seventh, nineteen forty-one"). In common with continental European usage, however, all-numeric dates are invariably ordered dd/mm/yyyy.

In the United States, the usual written form is December 7, 1941, spoken as "December seventh, nineteen forty-one" or colloquially "December the seventh, nineteen forty-one". Ordinal numerals, however, are not always used when writing and pronouncing dates, and "December seven, nineteen forty-one" is also an accepted pronunciation of the date written December 7, 1941. A notable exception to this rule is the Fourth of July."

In college, I would submit lab reports dated, if I were to hand one in today, as "22 September 2010" believing it to be "fancier" than other methods, and I never got scolded for the technique.

• 2 weeks later...

Fuckin' yes! Awesome news, at last!

In 3D to boot, nice - if ever a world was perfect for 3D it's Tolkien's Middle-Earth. It'll please me even more when the miserable anti-3D crowd chime in to yawn out their trendy displeasure. Flawless Victory!

FANTASTIC!