Again it doesn't really come as a huge surprise when they still have one entire sequel still coming up. As PJ said in one recent interview they can hit the ground running this time and just go off without a huge amount of background exposition to worry about.

And making the theatrical version shorter means more additional minutes for the EE! Woohoo...(?)

Yes and might make for a better flowing film, not bogged down by slow pacing (although I think stuff like Bag End introductions in AUJ were necessary).

Again it doesn't really come as a huge surprise when they still have one entire sequel still coming up. As PJ said in one recent interview they can hit the ground running this time and just go off without a huge amount of background exposition to worry about.

Yeah but they have a ridiculous amount of content to squeeze in that timeframe. I'm not sure how they're going to do it.

Yeah but they have a ridiculous amount of content to squeeze in that timeframe. I'm not sure how they're going to do it.

In December we will know. Let's not be worryworts over this as well.

Yeah. The funny thing is that AUJ is longer, while it would have been more justified for DoS to be longer (based on the events we know will appear in the film)

Yeah. The funny thing is that AUJ is longer, while it would have been more justified for DoS to be longer (based on the events we know will appear in the film)

So AUJ was too long, DoS will be too short. Perhaps TABA will be just the right length. :lol:

Do you mean you think Bolg will be in the actual film? It isn't beyond LEGO to have the wrong minifig in a set. For AUJ they had Yazneg instead of Azog in their out of the frying pan set. Could be the same story here, so as not to spoil anything?

That definitely seems to be the same statue alright.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Necromancer's look. Minifigs look great when you're familiar with the actual character it's representing not when you're seeing them for the first time.

Fair enough. I still can't imagine Azog being at Dol Guldur and Thranduil's palace in the same film but you've certainly put a good case forward. I'll guess we'll have to wait and see. The question is though, why bother with Azog? If he's just going to replace Bolg why didn't they just use Bolg?

Damn, I was hoping that would utterly transform the film

Did you honestly believe that 13 additional minutes could dramatically change this film?

No, I was being quite sarcastic.

Also, that Radagast figure is shooting lightning out of his staff! Neat.

LEGO often add those kind of effects to make it look like that character is doing something. I'm certain you actually see a representation of the Force on the Star Wars boxes. It's just so it doesn't look like the minifigs are doing nothing or levitating in mid air for no reason.

BB, I think the change in design is the most likely too.

LEGO sets often take liberties for the sake of play and character variety, and the licensed sets are sometimes based on early or incomplete concepts. For example, the final Fountain of Youth in POTC: ON STRANGER TIDES looks absolutely nothing like this:

brickpicker_set_4192-1_7.jpg

So while these new DOS sets provide plenty of fodder for speculation, it's risky to assume that any single piece of "information" is a genuine spoiler.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/10/20/80942-brand-new-poster-artwork-for-the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug/

The silhouette on the far right looks at lot like the prosthetic Bolg we've seen so far (the weapon and shoulders). Seems in still in the film, though maybe they kept the same design but did make him CGI, though we did see Bolg on one of the AUJ posters...

True! Good eyes SUH! :)

That silhouette group of bad guys seems a bit curious addition to that poster. :blink:

Something I didn't realize about Azog:

Conan Stevens WAS announced on PJ's blog as being Azog...

In June/July 2011...(at which time PJ mused that Orcs never seem to have a normal name like "Dennis", though I suppose "Dennis the Defiler" doesn't have quite the same ring to it). Evidently, the Stevens Bolg design was originally going to be Azog, before they decided to use it for as Bolg instead, so as far as we know, Stevens was recast as Bolg before they starting filming the role, and John Rawls was cast as the smaller Azog.

Azog is mentioned in the Hobbit, twice at least. He doesn't appear in any larger role though and his full story is told in the LotR appendices. Of course PJ has discarded every bit of info on the big armored orc with an iron helm and made him armorless altogether and with a hook for an arm but that is just cool for modern audiences.

Azog works because he looks like an uruk-hai.

A Goblinesque orc, as designed first, dont have as much as imposing looks and presence. Their squeaky voices dont hepl either. in LOTR even if they seem to be bosses, they are always disregarded by urukhaiysh orcs.

Azog works because he looks like an uruk-hai.

A Goblinesque orc, as designed first, dont have as much as imposing looks and presence. Their squeaky voices dont hepl either. in LOTR even if they seem to be bosses, they are always disregarded by urukhaiysh orcs.

Yes I liked the design in that respect. The albino thing was a bit odd but I guess they had to make him REALLY stand out from the other orcs, not just in that he is freaking giant but also in that he is all white and has no armor to speak of.