In that particular shot you always only saw two legs. But I'm sure Smaug still had four legs (well, two legs and two arms), it would just be odd otherwise. You never really do get a good look at him in AUJ. Though you do see more of him than before now, with the extra bit of the Archer shooting that big arrow at him that bounces off his scales easily.

There is an extension where Gandalf and Bilbo talk briefly before coming upon Rivendell. Also, I don't think Bilbo has any extra lines in that opening exchange with Gandalf.

Nah BB, the EE was overall better than the TC. All the extra scenes were either good background stuff or funny stuff.... the only bad scene was the Goblin-Town song. Yuck!

I'm surprised you found so many of those scenes so funny. I didn't think so when I saw those clips on YouTube.

Apparently, none of Del Toro's designs were used?

The next step was to figure out what ideas from the pre-production under Guillermo del Toro would stay, and what would need to be changed. It was decided that, although del Toro's designs would be great in a del Toro film, it wouldn't be right for a Peter Jackson film. Peter explains,"What I thought I had to do at that point was to say 'Okay, you're the guy that made The Lord of the Rings; get back into that zone, get back into that head space.'" Once they sorted out designs, the filmmakers were able to start casting the roles and set a new principle filming start date of February 2011.

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=656654;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Also:

Yazneg was completely manufactured during the "re-shoots" of 2012 - NOT being culled from footage of the original John Rawls Azog as many had thought - as was the Weathertop scene (rather obviously).

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=656429;page=2;sb=post_time;so=DESC;mh=25;#656602

The Gandalf one looks great! The Thorin one looks weird. The Bard and Bilbo ones are OK.

Woah, the fifth cover at the bottom is REALLY weird. Looks like a total photoshop job. I don't even think Martin Freeman is capable of making that face!

Love the shot of the dwarves around Beorn's relatively huge table :)

Is that Legolas with Orcrist?

Yep. Legolas gets to wield Orcrist in the film. You can see that in the second trailer.

Just re-watched it. I had noticed the sword before but didn't realize it was Orcrist. Interesting.

Not hugely surprising if the elves capture Thorin and his company that Legolas confiscates his weapons. Plus it is a nice a magical sword from the First Age! Who wouldn't want to use a blade like that? ;)

Not hugely surprising if the elves capture Thorin and his company that Legolas confiscates his weapons. Plus it is a nice a magical sword from the First Age! Who wouldn't want to use a blade like that? ;)

Oh I agree, it makes perfect sense.

The dagger found by Radagast is the same one that stabs Frodo on Weathertop and it will come in to play a lot more.

That was to be expected. Now, how is the White Council going to lose it? Mmmm...

Come in to play a lot more? Ugh... why do I feel that a needlessly dumb fate for Radagast is in the works? I know that's a leap, it's just where my mind went.

But Radagast sends the eagle to go pick up Gandalf in FotR, doesn't he? Even though it happens offscreen.

That's what happens in the book. But in the film, Gandalf summons the Gwaihir with his magical moth of Doom!

*Spoilers* regarding Desolation Of Smaug and TABA from Hobbit commentary

Nothing TOO spoilery, really, but some really interesting bits:

Battle Of Moria flashback was originally going to happen in Beorn's house.

I suspect that was when there were only two films. Interesting. So, maybe they didn't realize it was Azog chasing them until the Out Of The Frying-Pan sequence, which would explain why it would have appeared at that moment.

How Gandalf gets the map and the key is changed from the book.

BAM!

The dagger found by Radagast is the same one that stabs Frodo on Weathertop and it will come in to play a lot more.

That was to be expected. Now, how is the White Council going to lose it? Mmmm...

The Moria flashback would have been better at Beorns house for pacing reasons.

Definitely. I always wondered why it was so awkwardly placed in the first film. Kind of brings the whole film to a grinding halt, because its "storytime!".

Battle Of Moria flashback was originally going to happen in Beorn's house.

Wow, that does make a lot more sense. So that means the entire sequence of the camp up in the mountain, where the Moria story is told now, was a reshoot... makes sense now why it looks so obviously green-screened.

But Radagast sends the eagle to go pick up Gandalf in FotR, doesn't he? Even though it happens offscreen.

That's what happens in the book. But in the film, Gandalf summons the Gwaihir with his magical moth of Doom!

I always figured the moth went to Radagast, who sent Gwaihir. Did everyone else understand that differently? It's never really adequately explained in the film either way.

Something is bound to happen to Radagast. Why else wouldn't he be mentioned in LOTR? Either he turns into the moth, or he dies.

I say let the mushrooms-eating hobo get eaten by the Bunnies Of Doom!

I think he should just go back to his woods. They could imply that the moth is a sort of emissary for him so he doesn't have to get involved. That would be the only reasonable thing to do.

Come in to play a lot more? Ugh... why do I feel that a needlessly dumb fate for Radagast is in the works? I know that's a leap, it's just where my mind went.

Oh come on! Really? Not about the Radagast bit, but the

emphasis on the Morgul blade

Will the awkward connecting to LotR never be enough?

It is rather remarkable reminiscing the expectations for AUJ, and remembering the following reactions to the actual film.

It is my opinion that Jackson just tries too damn hard to squeeze The Hobbit into the world of LotR, and thinks last minute changes would somehoe improve the film when the probability of making it worse is much higher.

That trailer sent shivers down my spine, especially having seen it on the big screen. It looked like Jackson was in top form.

I blame the Bunnies of Doom! Either them or Pope ;)

It is you who have grown too found of the halfling's leaf!

But yea, maybe he told a quick version on the hillside, and the full footage was shown in beorn's house

I always figured the moth went to Radagast, who sent Gwaihir. Did everyone else understand that differently? It's never really adequately explained in the film either way.

I thought exactly the same thing.

In LotR films the moth fetches help for Gandalf with no assistance from Radagast. It is one moment where they can show Gandalf's subtle magic and resourcefulness. At lleast that is how we are meant to understand it because in LotR films Radagast is not once mentioned and does really not exist. In the novel it is obvious that Gwaihir, who was sent by Radagast to Isengard as a messenger to Saruman (and Gandalf he thought) was there by fortuitous accident (or by fate) to carry Gandalf from his captivity.

Those who have read the novel might naturally assume that it was somehow Radagast's doing that Gwaihir arrives to Isengard to rescue Gandalf but actually there is no reference to that in the films.

Who knows what kind of round-about explanation they are going to device in the Hobbit films. I hope it doesn't involve moths.

Those who have read the novel might naturally assume that it was somehow Radagast's doing that Gwaihir arrives to Isengard to rescue Gandalf but actually there is no reference to that in the films.
I do believe PJ says that was the idea in the DVD commentary, though.

Still if the film is its own independent creation then by that logic Radagast didn't even exist in LotR movies so there is no way for him to be involved with anything in the film.

Keep telling yourself that, darling.

I mean that the audience member who hasn't read the book assumes that Gandalf uses the moth to summon the eagle to aid him. So he hasn't got the foggiest idea of Radagast.