Title For The Third POTC Has been Confirmed!

Damo

Screenwriter Terry Rossio has confirmed to fans at the Word Player forums that Disney is going with Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End (no apostrophe after World) as the full title for the anticipated third installment, opening in theaters on May 25, 2007.

The studio was deciding between "At Worlds End" and "Worlds End," and the former prevailed.

Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley, Stellan Skarsgård, Jack Davenport, Kevin R. McNally, Lee Arenberg, Mackenzie Crook, Andy Beckwith, Reggie Lee and Chow Yun-Fat star. The movie is produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and directed by Gore Verbinski.

Click here for the source

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chow Yun-Fat? I didn't know that :( No matter how unappropriate (in terms of the genre) the music is going to be, I am sure that Zimmer (nad his sidekicks) will come up with at least a few highly enjoyable cues. Hopefully, there won't be any techno-shity-remix tracks.

No mention of Geoffrey Rush?

Still keeping it quiet for the 2 people who don't know?

I'm looking forward to this, but I hope it doesn't spawn another series of useless Zimmer threads around here.

It's very embarrassing and in poor taste for a film not to feature proper grammar in its title. People at a college age-level of learning and beyond often cannot use proper spelling or grammar, to which many of them say, "Who cares? I get the point across." That is irresponsible and sloppy. Good content doesn't mean much unless it is given form. Without good form, content is negated.

Ted, venting his frustrations about poor use of grammar and language

That's confusing me as well. I know back when it was on IMDb before it was removed, it had one. But now it doesn't.  :?

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat are you talking about?????

IMDb calls it At Worlds End

It was listed on IMDb several months ago under "At World's End." Then the title was removed because it wasn't confirmed. Now it's back, but sans apostrophe.

And I'm sure it's not a mistake, folks. We just haven't the real reason as to why.

It's very embarrassing and in poor taste for a film not to feature proper grammar in its title. People at a college age-level of learning and beyond often cannot use proper spelling or grammar, to which many of them say, "Who cares? I get the point across." That is irresponsible and sloppy. Good content doesn't mean much unless it is given form. Without good form, content is negated.  

I agree. I guess it's a pet peeve of mine, maybe since using correct grammar and spelling comes somewhat naturally to me (though not always in a medium like the MB, of course ;)), but I get so irritated when I see blatant mistakes in professional publications, signs, etc. It happens quite a bit, unfortunately. I remember there was something like this with the first GoF poster, wasn't there?

Ray Barnsbury

Maybe we should wait and see the movie before judging correctness in grammar? If they specifically made it official, it's more likely to be intentional than an error. Maybe Worlds End is the name of a place.

I remember there was something like this with the first GoF poster, wasn't there?

The tagline "Dark and difficult times lie ahead, Harry" (a quote of course) was originally written as "Dark and difficult times lie ahead Harry".

However, the final version of the teaser poster still excluded the period at the end. ;)

I agree. I guess it's a pet peeve of mine, maybe since using correct grammar and spelling comes somewhat naturally to me (though not always in a medium like the MB, of course ;)), but I get so irritated when I see blatant mistakes in professional publications, signs, etc. It happens quite a bit, unfortunately. I remember there was something like this with the first GoF poster, wasn't there?

Ray Barnsbury

Same with me. I've never had any problems with spelling & grammar, and mistakes in the professional realm annoy me too.

Can someone explain why there is no need for an apostrophe?

Because it's important?

National Treasure quote for those who didn't get it.

So anyway, back to punctuation....

Did you know that an elipse or the three periods like this ... should actually be four periods at the end of a sentence? Three periods for the elipse and one to actually finish the sentence.

I think Star Wars is punctuatily incorrect.

Justin

Nah I haven't seen it. Is it any good? worth seeing?

I like it. Granted it's no cinematic masterpiece, but I think it's a fun film.

Done by the same people who did Pirates.

Back to the punctuation thing, again. My seventh grade teacher said that grammar and punctuation were unimportant; that the only thing that mattered was “getting the idea expressed.” Coherency, apparently, was optional. Yes, it was a public school. I have on more than one occasion said that I learned more about the English language watching School House Rock than I did in school.

At Worlds End would not be the first time a title has been left lacking an apostrophe. Two Weeks Notice should have been Two Week’s Notice.

Bruckhorn, who had his mommy proof-read all of his essays in junior and senior high school (she also potty-trained me at gun-point…).

I have on more than one occasion said that I learned more about the English language watching School House Rock than I did in school.  

I have feeling I did as well.