What's The Last Book You Read?

John Crichton

Are bookstores really closing down in the US?

I didnt knew the ebook format was so popular :/

no Luke, stores are closing but not all book stores are going to close. There are alot of bookstores in America. Browsing book covers is still the best way to find a novel to read.

good.

Ok, I haven't seen this film but that thing does the brilliant book a disservice.

if you haven't seen it then you're not qualified to criticize it.

Huh. Is your criticism that the male Eloi knows what and where the books are, so that he takes the Time Traveler to the library? Even though he can't read and all the books are decaying anyways. Agreed, that makes very little sense. The word "book" shouldn't be in the Eloi vocabulary.

I never read the complete book, just a condensed version in grade school, so I don't remember how he's supposed to find the library otherwise. Maybe they just couldn't think of a way for him to naturally happen upon it, or chose to change it. That would cheapen the story, in an otherwise wonderful and vivid movie.

Just finished Perry's Planet by Jack C. Haldeman II. It's one of those original Star Trek novels published by Bantam Books. Most of those old Star Trek books are a quick read.

Dracula. I liked it better than any film adaptation.

Oh and I also finished the Rinzler's Empire making of book. It took me almost 5 months to read it (don't know why). The definite highlight of the book is the 16-page transcript of the preparations for shooting in the carbon freeze chamber. Actors are annoying!

Karol

Michael Crichton's Next. It was...not what I expected from a Crichton book, even though the topic of genetic engineering is certainly right up his alley. The panoply of different parallel plots proved a little baffling, especially because I'm not good with character names, but there was certainly a unifying theme to it, and the characters' lives do converge somewhat, of course. Probably the best thing about this book is how satirical and zany it is. Way more amusing to read than Crichton's more serious works, though I have enjoyed the others more.

That book certainly wasn't worth the $10 I paid for it in the DFW airport, but we had a long layover and I needed something to read. I am considering trading it in because I won't read it again, even though I love collecting Crichton novels.

The highlight was when the family's "son" flung poo at the bad guys, bringing the plot threads together nicely.

Pirate Latitudes, it was difficult to get into but then it started to click, I'm about 1/3 of the way through it.

That book certainly wasn't worth the $10 I paid for it in the DFW airport, but we had a long layover and I needed something to read.

I bought it for a trip, too. :lol: It served its purpose, but it definitely wasn't like most of the other Crichton books I've read, in which it's quite a struggle to put down the book or even slow my pace.

I bought [Next] for a trip, too. :lol: It served its purpose, but it definitely wasn't like most of the other Crichton books I've read, in which it's quite a struggle to put down the book or even slow my pace.

I know that feeling. When I received Jurassic Park, I read it in a day. I literally lay on my bed from the early morning until the wee hours, stopping only for dinner. It's the only time I ever read a book of its size in one sitting, and at the time was my favorite book.

I know that feeling. When I received Jurassic Park, I read it in a day. I literally lay on my bed from the early morning until the wee hours, stopping only for dinner. It's the only time I ever read a book of its size in one sitting, and at the time was my favorite book.

I love that feeling. I went through a Crichton phase a couple of summers ago and read most of his well-known novels. I had that feeling a lot, haha. Kinda craving it right now, actually. I perused a local book sale today, but I didn't see anything in that vein.

With all this Mike Crichton talk I picked up the only Crichton book I had laying around, Prey. I can echo the previous sentiments. It is highly readable and I don't want to put it down.

Never heard of it.

I'm a little over halfway through The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. The first third or so was generally boring. It finally started to pick up, and once it does it's hard to put down. I only stopped last night because I almost dozed off mid-sentence :lol:

I never quite understood the popularity of these books. Sure, they are better written than most "bestseller" stuff, but in the I don't get much from these kind of things.

Karol

Curious to what the reaction is going to be to this....currently reading Atlas Shrugged

Ah, good old Ayn Rand. Aren't they making a film out of this book?

I saw the movie of "The Fountainhead". I found it all a bit "worthy". It's not that it was bad...just a bit "preachy".

Curious to what the reaction is going to be to this....currently reading Atlas Shrugged

I saw the movie of "The Fountainhead". I found it all a bit "worthy". It's not that it was bad...just a bit "preachy".

Yea its coming out in April,

. I refused to link the trailer because its just horrible compared to this scene. Its funny they have barely done any marketing for the release of the movie, I guess they're expecting a cult following once it opens. I know I'll definitely be seeing it, my father told me I needed to read the book before I left for college (almost done with my second semester and almost done with the book lol) and it does raise some excellent philosophical/psychological points.

What don't you like about them in particular? I really only started reading because it was $5, and I knew people that liked them.

It's not about them being unreadable, it's just that, apart from the Lisbeth character everything else seems rather pedestrian. Nothing wrong with that, of course. It might be as well the over-exposure in media. I just kind of feel discouraged when I see the book on every display in every bookstore. I'm probably exaggerating here a bit though... ;)

But I can tell you my sister absolutely adores these books.

Karol

I agree to a point, but I finally reached the part in the novel where Blomkvist actually discovered something in the investigation and I'm loving the mystery of it all. Everything before that was mostly boring progress with a little too much attention to detail.

My father told me I needed to read the book before I left for college (almost done with my second semester and almost done with the book lol)

Forget it. Just listen to:

"Fly By Night",

"Caress Of Steel",

"2112",

"A Farewell To Kings",

"Hemispheres",

"Permanent Waves",

and "Moving Pictures", all by Rush; much more fun. :lol:

Never heard of it.

You're kidding, right? Oh, what a woild, what woild. . . . :shakehead:

Atlas is one of the great novels of the 20th century. The Fountainhead was good too, but that one was more a theoretical treatise on Rand's subject. Atlas Shrugged is like the concept fully realized. One of the most profound reading experiences of my life, no question.

- Uni

60-page dialogues, 3-page battles, they just walk around for most of the book and do nothing, flat one-dimensional character and no villain to speak of. Oh yeah, and throw in a 200 pages of self-important appendices that nobody wants to read.

Does it sound good to you? ;)

Karol

Excuse me, there is a cool villain in the Bible and he can morph to snakes and stuff. And at least you have crucufixion! And stoning! And the end of the world! Surely this is more entertaining than LOTR.

Karol

There's nothing to be scared of. You come back after few days...

(This is what happens when you give Bible to kids, folks.)

Karol - who's wondering what Charlie meant by "true feelings"

Come on, what was the author thinking ?!

I think it might have been writen by several ghostwriters. There are many inconsistencies, just like in Harry Potter!

Karol - who likes talking bushes (no political message whatsoever)

Just that I never found it that interesting to read. Which to some people here is like saying JW sucks.

Just that I never found it that interesting to read. Which to some people here is like saying JW sucks.

By hanging out here I'd say most people think he does at this point...

LOTR is written in a style not everyone can appreciate. I respect that. And I think many scholars (and generally people who know much more about writing than myself) would agree.

Karol